Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #1

I have a 37 ft. 2006 Monarch SE. One of the tail lights fell off, and took the wiring harness plug that attached to the taillight, with it. The Monaco tech told me that it wasn't a warranty item because they didn't have an ongoing problem with it. The tail light is the same one that is on a Dodge Ram pickup truck. I ordered a new taillight assembly from Monaco(twice). It seems that they don't carry it in stock and the one from their supplier only comes with 2 of the prongs that hold it on. After speaking with the parts people and three different techs, I am told they can't order the prongs. BUT one of the big problems is that I can't get the plug that goes between the taillight assembly and the wiring harness. Another part that I am told I can't order. I am going to try and connect each wire seperatly. Here is another problem. ALL OF THE WIRES ON THE WIRING HARNESS ARE WHITE. Can anyone offer some help with some info on how to find out which wire is ground, and then which wire goes where? I have been working on trying to get the parts and info for a couple of months with no resolution.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give as much info as I could.

2006 Monarch SE 37"
stevelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #2

I have a 37 ft. 2006 Monarch SE. One of the tail lights fell off, and took the wiring harness plug that attached to the taillight, with it. The Monaco tech told me that it wasn't a warranty item because they didn't have an ongoing problem with it. The tail light is the same one that is on a Dodge Ram pickup truck. I ordered a new taillight assembly from Monaco(twice). It seems that they don't carry it in stock and the one from their supplier only comes with 2 of the prongs that hold it on. After speaking with the parts people and three different techs, I am told they can't order the prongs. BUT one of the big problems is that I can't get the plug that goes between the taillight assembly and the wiring harness. Another part that I am told I can't order. I am going to try and connect each wire seperatly. Here is another problem. ALL OF THE WIRES ON THE WIRING HARNESS ARE WHITE. Can anyone offer some help with some info on how to find out which wire is ground, and then which wire goes where? I have been working on trying to get the parts and info for a couple of months with no resolution.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give as much info as I could.

2006 Monarch SE 37"
stevelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #3

Just because they havn't had a whole lot of them fall off does not mean it is not a warranty issue, recall maybe not, but warranty yes. Unless it was damaged by improper removal or being hit, they should make good on it. I would contact the manufacture. As for the wires being all white, there are probally small numbers printed on the wire which unless you know there code it will not do you any good anyway. Probally the easiest way to identify them would be to use a 12 volt test light with one lead cliped to a good ground, and the other to each wire being tested. turn on that side turn signal and move the test clip from wire to wire until it flashes. Then do the same turning on the marker lights and so forth. The wire thats left over that doesn't do anything will probally be the ground.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #4

Steve, I don't know what the tail light looks like, but you probably have 3 or 4 wires running to it. 1 for turn/stop, 1 for running light, 1 for back-up, and 1 for ground.

You can test which wire is which by getting a 12V tester (one with a light bulb) and start 1 at a time, by for example, turning on the running lights and see which wire makes the tester light light up. Obviously you need to have access to a good ground for the tester. I would think the rear hitch would work.

By process of elimination you should be able to identify the wires.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevelp:

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give as much info as I could. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Dodge Ram tail light is a pretty standard item that any Bumper to Bumper should be able to get at a reduced cost. The plug should be available off the rack also. The wireing diagram for the Dodge Truck should suffice to let you map out the wires from the motorhome by observaton to the tail lights known contactors.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Steve,
Go a little farther back in the harness with the white wires. Pull out 6"-8" of the white wires and look closely. Mine, throughout my whole, coach printing stating what they are for. Hopefully, yours are the same. You could check this theory in an area where the wires are exposed - maybe in your fuse bay.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote