Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #1

taking carpet out of motorhome

how difficult is it to remove the carpet from a motorhome. is it glued down?????is it stapled down??? any special tools for removing it that helped??????????? thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
paz

All the RV carpeting I have seen is stapled down. They use long, narrow staples, and most of the time, there are zillions of them. Not hard to remove, but it takes a lot of patience.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
it's worth knowing also that usually the carpet goes down first. Our bed pedestal in installed on top of the bedroom carpeting, the entire bed would need to be removed to do a proper job. the kitchen cabinets are installed on top of the hardwood floor in the kitchen, etc. very possibly, many of the partition walls are installed on top of the finish flooring as well.

Often there's little choice but to go over the top or cut as close to the permanent items as possible, then finish with some kind of trim.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It probably depends on the manufacturer and if slides are installed. Our slide carpet is glued to the 1/4 inch plastic that covers the "seam" between the slide and MH.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
Removing ours as I type!!! Doing the front half of our Monaco Windsor - no slide (on purpose!). Carpeting is stapled at ceramic tile in kitchen and exterior walls... best part it is NOT under sides so it comes up clean. lots of staples, but just some patience and all is well. We are putting a Bamboo Hardwood down.... should look awesome... will post pics etyc as we progress. We pulled everything out and much easier to deal with...much more working room... just be patiernt with staples! Worth it!!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can get an inexpensive staple puller tool at a hardware store that will make it easier to remove the staples. Using it in conjunction with a small hammer to tap it under the staple if necessary makes the job go faster.

In places where the carpet went under a slide or the bed I cut the carpet close to the slide /bed but left just enough room to staple the edge down securely. The exposed edge was covered by either baseboard trim or a flat Tee molding. The Tee molding is made by the laminate manufacturer for transitions between the flooring and carpet or linoleum and allows the flooring the 1/4 inch gap so it can float.

I found that an air stapler and an air brad nailer were well worth buying for the job.
I used the small air compressor I carry on board to air my tires to power them.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
What is everyone using as a carpet replacement ?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used Armstrong's best laminate.
Other people are using Allure vinyl planks that have overlaping adhesive seams and seem to be pleased with it.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #9

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We got a nice looking Bamboo Wood Planking from Costco.... awesome stuff and only $70 a box (27 sq')... seams really come together and it looks great... almost finished. Doing the entrance stairwell and stair cover now... main flooring done. Highly recommend it.
If using Allure "ceramic tile look", use the waxy paper it is packaged with to help with the seams. Place it over the sticky bottom area and then place your top piece where you want it and once satisfied, pull the wax paper out of the seam and it is a perfect seam with no hassles!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I used a medium oak laminate that has a 1/8" foam insulation made on to the back. The planks lock together with a tounge and groove snap. I used it from front to back in my '95 National and it looks great and has held up very well. It was only $26.00 a package from Sam's Club and took about 7 packs to do the whole rig. I will try to attach some pics.....

Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
it's worth knowing also that usually the carpet goes down first. Our bed pedestal in installed on top of the bedroom carpeting, the entire bed would need to be removed to do a proper job. the kitchen cabinets are installed on top of the hardwood floor in the kitchen, etc. very possibly, many of the partition walls are installed on top of the finish flooring as well.

Often there's little choice but to go over the top or cut as close to the permanent items as possible, then finish with some kind of trim.
In my Winnebago the toilet flange was screwed to the floor over the carpet
Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We used Allure nose to tail and are very pleased with it. Needed to fiddle a bit to make the slides clear but all's well now. We chose it because we full time and I don't have my fancy power miter saw. I could make all of my cuts using only a good pair of shears. A hair dryer works well to heat the seams/release the adhesive if you need to make adjustments as you install.

No more carpet!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote