Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #1

Has anyone had any experience with replacing the water heater in a Class A with a tankless water heater? We are full timers and would like to do this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #2

Has anyone had any experience with replacing the water heater in a Class A with a tankless water heater? We are full timers and would like to do this.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marti:
Has anyone had any experience with replacing the water heater in a Class A with a tankless water heater? We are full timers and would like to do this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marti,

Most require a lot of gasflow or electricity to run. I just looked at some electrics and most required 3 - 30 amp 220 volt circuits to operate which you will not have available at any campground I have been to. Most 110 volt demand units that I have seen would not keep up with a shower.

My rig has an electric element in the water heater so I turn that on when at the Campground so the water temp is maintained by the at this time "Free" Campground electric and I only turn on the gas burner when showering. This does save a good deal of propane.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They make one for a motor home that does just fine. Met a feller that had one and he said he runs his washer while he showers and has not run out of hot water yet. Plan to get one my ownself when my hot water tank goes bad or the gas or elect unit dies, whichever comes first.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lee, how about just a little hint on where to look it up.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Try here, RV500 Tankless Water Heater
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #7

I think this outfit may have a better price.
http://www.gaswaterheaters.com/boats...V500/index.htm
Old 07-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #8

The RV500 is almost double the cost of a standard RV water heater and does not have MotorAid.

For many as long as campground electric is free arriving at the camp with a MotorAid heated hotwater tank, running on the electric element most of the time and turning on the gas burner only when showering would make the most economic sense.

Myself I dry camp 6 to 10 days a month and spend around $100 a year on propane, That is in Florida with very little to no use of the propane furnace. Mostly that goes for cooking and running the refridgerator. Even if 1/3 of that is for hot water that would still only be $33 a year. The 20% savings on propane from the RV500 would only be $6.60 year so it would take over 50 years to break even on the additional cost of the RV500 over that of a tank style water heater if you install it yourself and over 100 years if you pay someone else to install it for you. I your existing water heated did not need replacing then the time to recoupe the full cost of the RV500 would be even longer.

Even if you are full time, if your existing water heater does not need replacing you are looking at over $1000 to purchase and install it ($1500?) for a 20% annual return on the hot water portion of your propane bill. If you spend $750 a year on propane and 1/3 of that is for hot water that is only $250 and the 20% savings with the RV500 would be $50 a year so it would take 30 years to break even.

Even with four adults showering consecutivly I have never run out of hot water with the ten gallon water heater installed in my coach.

Maybe if you took 1 to 2 hour long showers and were throwing hundreds of gallons of hot water down the drain every day you could recoup the cost in several years however I believe you would get geater savings/return on your investment by taking shorter showers and installing a more conservative shower head.

You gotta do you own personal math on this one. I can't see the cost justification myself.