Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #1

We went through about 4 miles of road that had just undergone chip and seal. Although we went about 10 MPH, we kicked up quite a bit of tar (oil?) and gravel. I got it cleaned off the coach, and most of it came off the tires, but there is some tar along the inner and outer edges of the tires. I called Toyo and, as excpected, they were covering their butt and told me to take the tires to a tire expert to have them examined because they may need to be taken out of service. That seemed kind of extreme for what it went through.

Should I just try to have the tar (oil?) wear off through driving? Should I manually try to remove all I can? Is there some trick to removing the tar? Do I have an exposure to more than normal tire damage?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #2

We went through about 4 miles of road that had just undergone chip and seal. Although we went about 10 MPH, we kicked up quite a bit of tar (oil?) and gravel. I got it cleaned off the coach, and most of it came off the tires, but there is some tar along the inner and outer edges of the tires. I called Toyo and, as excpected, they were covering their butt and told me to take the tires to a tire expert to have them examined because they may need to be taken out of service. That seemed kind of extreme for what it went through.

Should I just try to have the tar (oil?) wear off through driving? Should I manually try to remove all I can? Is there some trick to removing the tar? Do I have an exposure to more than normal tire damage?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #3

Is this the first time you have ever driven a vehicle through a road that was being rebuilt?
I have had to clean tar off many vehicles but never even gave it a thought about on the tires. I would worry more about what I was using to get it off! You are driving on "Black Top", Asphalt roads every day. Many times in the summer's hot sun, you will pick up melted tar/oil on roads that have been paved for some time. Don't worry about it!!!
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Jerry - forget about it. A bit of fresh tar is but one of the zillion things on the road surface that cause everyday wear on your tires.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #5

If those remarks were made by Toyo tire, it just shows how inferior their product really is. Tar and Chipping is a standard way of life for roads in the northeast and if you can't stand a little tar get out of the business.
Let's hear from TOYO!
Now here is an example of what type of air was in the tire before it melted!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #6

I'm with the rest of them,get it off the body and forget the rest. When I drive through this stuff I'm thinking a free under coat job.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In 53 years of driving I've been thru "a few" miles of road construction. I have never had a tire problem because of the tar & gravel. Even DW who gets really torqued about having to clean it off the car has never said word about the tires. Sounds like maybe Toyo wants to sell you a set of tires.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I would use paint thinner to get the oil/tar off the outside edge of the tires to get the clean look again. Then use soap & water to get the paint thinner off. I wouldn't worry about what's in the cracks of the tread.

On the inside of the tire the build-up might be enough to affect the balance. I would just use a putty knife or scraper to get the big stuff off.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #9

I just use good old mineral spirits. It melts the tar like butter and is gentle on paint, hands, and plastic or fiberglass. I then remove the mineral spirits with 409 and then rinse with water. You DO want to keep the mineral spirits away from pets, kids, and plants and grass. It's cheap and easy as pie.

Happy travels,
Sparetire
sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would not put any solvents on my tires.

As the tar dries it will drop off the tires as the tire flexes.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I would not put any solvents on my tires.

As the tar dries it will drop off the tires as the tire flexes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Tom on this 100%. The solvents harm the tires and remove tire UV protection.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #12

I hate to break it to you fellas but tar has lots of solvents in it, it is a petroleum product and it's viscosity is regulated in part by solvents (thinners). I get a lot of unwanted solvent on my tires fueling up after a careless person at the diesel pump spills a gallon or two on the ground but I never worry about what it's doing to my tires...my wife worries about the smell in the coach and the tracks on the carpeting! Today, that's over 8 bucks and still it happens. Most folks with diesels are used to this. Gasoline pumps rarely spill due to the required anti-vapor technology they now employ. I would worry if I had to park in a puddle of MEK or some type of aggressive solvent of it's ilk.

Happy travels,
Sparetire
sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote