Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2006, 06:25 AM   #1

I would like comments on the matter of teaching my wife to drive the coach. She is an experienced and safe 4 wheel driver but she is intimidated by the length and lack of visual reference.

backing up and parking on a site are bad dreams for her.

Her need for the coach has to do with dog trials when I can't always go just to do the driving.

After all........golf is important too!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2006, 06:25 AM   #2

I would like comments on the matter of teaching my wife to drive the coach. She is an experienced and safe 4 wheel driver but she is intimidated by the length and lack of visual reference.

Her need for the coach has to do with dog trials when I can't always go just to do the driving.

After all........golf is important too!

Old 10-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #3

Start small and work up. Parking lot driving to begin, so she can get used to how it accelerates and stops. Then some not so busy streets. As she does each step will become obvious that it really isnt much different then driving a car. Just a big one. In some ways I think easier. Right turns take a bit more room, and have to watch tail swing. I would leave the backing up till she is comfortable wiht the going forward
Old 10-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
I have been trying to think of something useful But I realized when I have had to back up and park, my husband gave incredible directions and put me right where I needed to be. He does not get as good of directions from me.
I know when I began to learn, I took it slow and easy, It was hard to find a comfortable line of sight and someone on this forum said that he was a pilot and learned to JUST Relax and that little phrase jumps in my head when I star gripping the wheel in constructions zones, I keep it straight on and don't worry about hitting anything ---RELAX--.
As for parking, we can always ask for help.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Often the ladies feel more secure with a bit of professional instruction - or at least some coaching from someone other than hubby.

One of the foremost RV driving schools is The RV School and they have many happy lady graduates. Sometimes large Rv dealerships alsooffer 1/2 or full day RV driving seminars. Lazy Days in Florida does and I'm sure there are others.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:21 AM   #6

Oh Pleeeeeze................how about teaching him to drive? I do all the important driving manuvering in and out of campsite etc. yet he insist on all the hwy. driving, and I know I would not do some of the dumb things he does, mostly because of impatience, with slower drivers etc. Yet he knows for yrs. put me behind the wheel of anything and I'll drive it! be it a car, motorcycle, tractor, standerd shift or auto....and who has never had an accident? except for an idiot male driver side swiping me sitting at a stop sign....Yet he's had a few, maybe not his fault but none the less... Sorry just had to vent here...The Mrs.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2SAM:
Oh Pleeeeeze................how about teaching him to drive? I do all the important driving manuvering in and out of campsite etc. yet he insist on all the hwy. driving, and I know I would not do some of the dumb things he does, mostly because of impatience, with slower drivers etc. Yet he knows for yrs. put me behind the wheel of anything and I'll drive it! be it a car, motorcycle, tractor, standerd shift or auto....and who has never had an accident? except for an idiot male driver side swiping me sitting at a stop sign....Yet he's had a few, maybe not his fault but none the less... Sorry just had to vent here...The Mrs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should start a "teaching HIM to drive" subject thread.

IMHO, women are much safer drivers than men, as long as they stay off the cellphone.

Here is a good tip for all of us chauvinistic males. Many times my wife takes the wheel to park the coach. I then get out and she follows my directions to park the coach exactly where I want it. This works great because I know where I want to spot the coach for utilities, jacks, trees, satellite, etc. Think of it as running the coach by remote control.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #8

Why is it, I do not need him to direct exactly where the coach needs to be, but yet, I direct him if he's behind the wheel???? also I never use the cell phone in car or moho except as the navigator/pass. However see the guys including mine on it while driving often......? We have even seen guys reading a book (honest to God) a folded newspaper etc...soooo don't even go there with me all you Bubba's, cause ya won't win this one!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
2SAM,

So, what are you doing in December ? I could see so much more from the co-pilots seat.
Bubba too
Old 10-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry just had to vent here...The Mrs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you deserve the opportunity to do so. We have several close friends where the Mrs does ALL the driving - and very well too!

But my wife is convinced she cannot drive the RV. She could, of course, but the sheer size has seemingly intimidated her, no matter how often I say there's really nothing to it. Refuses to even try. And she's not the only such lady of our acquaintance.

I for one would enjoy some time in the co-pilot seat.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
But my wife is convinced she cannot drive the RV. She could, of course, but the sheer size has seemingly intimidated her, no matter how often I say there's really nothing to it. Refuses to even try. And she's not the only such lady of our acquaintance.

I for one would enjoy some time in the co-pilot seat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife is the same way Gary.....she would drive the fiver,but refuses to drive this thing that "doesn't bend in the middle"...

I have several RV'ing friends where both spouses drive...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #12

My DW is just like Gary's and Bob's. I wish she would drive the coach so that I could see more while she drives, but she refuses to learn or try. She says it is too big.

2Sam, Would you mind telling us the size of the coach that you are so good at piloting?

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:

After all........golf is important too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The OP was looking for some helpful ideas...

Other than taking her to a huge shopping center parking lot and getting her used to moving the coach around,does anyone else have any ideas?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:

After all........golf is important too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The OP was looking for some helpful ideas...

Other than taking her to a huge shopping center parking lot and getting her used to moving the coach around,does anyone else have any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife can drive just about anything stick or automatic from light farm tractors to the Quad Cab Over 36 foot box truck with van in tow which carried our children (pets included) and all our worldly possessions from Northern New England to Southern Florida with her doing half the driving. A bus style motorhome on the other hand just intimidates her.

It is mostly perception and perception has a way of becoming ones reality even if it is not well founded. So I am hoping that the confidence course with advice from a "trained professional" will help erase this erroneous perception.

She just does not believe that she could be able to deal with driving the 35 Foot "Super Wide" coach in the city. Of couse if the salesman had not called it a super wide the perception of difficulty would most likely be much lower.

I tried to get her into the drivers seat on our recent trip to Canada but she could not get past the thought that she would have to eventually pull off and drive someplace congested along with there might be hills, the road could get curvey, too much traffic, too dark, too bright, the lanes are now too narrow, we might get a flat tire or have a blow out, it might rain, it looks windy, too many trucks, frost heaves, the bridges are too narrow and what if it catches on fire while I am driving it like our previous coach did.

The last one is probably the hardest one to overcome as our previous coach did burst into flames while we were driving down the highway and was a total loss. I don't think that she has fully recovered from the emotional impact of that event yet.

We are going to take advantage of the free drivers confidence course that we were offered, when we bought the current coach, for all family members as soon as we have a vacation day available.