Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #1

Tecma Toilet Installation

I'm thinking about replacing my gravity drain Sealand toilet with a Tecma Silence Plus. From my research it appears I will have to cap the existing gravity drain hole and install a new 1 1/2" drain plug into the black tank. Has anyone out there done this before and am I getting myself into more work than I think I am?

Chuck
Walnut Creek, CA
chkwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think Tecma has an adapter for that, a 1.5" x 3" elbow. See #15 in this parts diagram:

Tecma Silence Plus Marine Parts

I've never done one myself, so can't say for sure.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced a really good Thetford Aria electric toilet with a Dometic Sealand Magnum Opus. Wow, what a difference. The Aria doesn't even come close to the quality of the Magnum Opus.

The Tecma toilet by Thetford appears to be rather complicated and may possibly give you future headaches with maintenance and repairs. What would be the advantage in having the Tecma toilet instead of a high quality gravity toilet?

The Magnum Opus is super quiet if noise is a concern. The Aria, Magnum Opus and Tecma are all full china toilets.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #4

The TECMA and other vacumn flush toilets are used when the bathroom is located a distance from the black tank and gravity will not work. Iam not sure replacing a gravity model with a vacumn flush one would be a benefit. I have a bath and half floor plan and the half bath has a china gravity toilet and the rear bathroom is a TECMA vacumn/macerator toilet.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck62 View Post
The TECMA and other vacuum flush toilets are used when the bathroom is located a distance from the black tank and gravity will not work. I am not sure replacing a gravity model with a vacuum flush one would be a benefit. I have a bath and half floor plan and the half bath has a china gravity toilet and the rear bathroom is a TECMA vacuum/macerator toilet.
Buck62,

Thanks for the explanation and it makes sense to me now. That's why watercraft owners are equipped with usually a Sealand Vacuum toilet and most likely now a Tecma. Never have heard about the Tecma's so I was inquisitive.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies!! The reason I'm thinking about the Tecma is two fold. I want an upgraded toilet that sits higher off the floor and has an elogated bowl. I also like the idea of a macerator so I can empty my black tank at home and pump slightly uphill to my home sewer line clean out. The Tecma seems to fit all of my needs and I won't need a seperate macerator in my water bay. I don't have room in my water bay to hook one up permanently so it would have to be a portable unit that I would have to hook up and clean each each time.

I removed my gravity drain toilet to check out the closet flange below. Its a typical 4" to 3" flange that drops straight into my black tank. I do have room behind this flange to intall the required 1 1/2" drain fitting using a Uniseal connection.

I'm looking at the Tecma Silence Plus high model with the two button control panel. From reading the literature I understand that the two button model keeps the bowl dry after flushing. When needed the "quick flush" option only uses a small amount of water to flush. OF course you can fill the bowl to normal height for needs as required. I don't want to waste water as we do dry camp quite often.

Thanks again for all of your helpful comments!

Chuck
Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #7

I searched for the Magnum Opus toilet and it seems to be discontinued. Only one hit from a company called envirolet (?) and their price was like $1,300. Just wondering where you found one and what the price was? I like the idea that the water fill amount is adjustable.

Chkuck
Old 03-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkwgn View Post
I searched for the Magnum Opus toilet and it seems to be discontinued. Only one hit from a company called envirolet (?) and their price was like $1,300. Just wondering where you found one and what the price was? I like the idea that the water fill amount is adjustable.

Chkuck
ChkWgn,

I happen to get lucky one day last fall and found one at Northwest RV Supply in Oregon. Northwest RV Supply

They had two but by the time I called, one had been sold. I bought the last one. They are a surplus RV supplier so they don't always have what you may be looking for but other times they do. The china bowl had a few minor defects but really not noticeable, and since it was only $350, I couldn't justify complaining. Besides, there were certain parts missing plus a control board that was defective, and they were able to send me the missing parts and a new control board, so I now have a functioning Magnum Opus. It is really quiet and efficient. The water level control is great, Low, Medium, and High. You can choose how much water gets used for the flushing. Also, there's a switch for servicing the bowl, that allows the ball valve to open and remain open for cleaning.

The vendor you had found on the Internet is the only one I was able to find that was supplying these. But if you are seriously interested in purchasing one, you might try calling Domectic and ask where you can locate a vendor for the Magnum Opus Toilet. You may also think about the Concerto model which may be more readily available.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #9

Richard,

Thanks for the information! I have stopped by the NW RV Supply surplus store several times on my travels through Oregon. Like you say you just have to be lucky to find what you are looking for.

I looked at the specs for the Concerto and it does not appear to have the water control features of the Magnum Opus. Wonder why the Magnum Opus model was discontinued??

Having read about the water hog features of the Tecma, I've given up on that brand.

Chuck
Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #10

Found the Sealand Magnum Opus at American RV Company for 659.95 new. Please tell me why you like it so much better than your old Thetford Aria.

Can you really minimize the amount of water used to flush when dry camping?

Thanks!

Chuck
Old 03-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Chuck,

Yes, you can choose how much water is used per flush. There is a three-way toggle switch on the top of the control board under the rear cover. You can set it to Low-Medium-High. Low uses very little water, both in the bowl and to flush, it barely covers the valve. Medium uses approximately one liter or less in the bowl, and High uses about 1 & 1/2 liters or so. The flush handle is a two-way switch, up to add water to the bowl and down to flush. The unit is very quiet. It has a deep bowl so when traveling no water will ever slosh out. Very comfortable seat, just a great unit.

The main reason I switched out the Aria was that since owning the rig, 6 years, I have had to put in three valve/motor assemblies. The first one, I paid to have done, not knowing how easy it was to change them out. The second and third I did myself. All of them have sounded like an electric thrashing machine. In all cases the valves were not operating correctly and or the valve was leaking and not sealing correctly. However, the part is about $150 each plus shipping. The second change-out, the valve last a little over a month. Had a new one sent from Thetford but not without skepticism from them as to why it was not working correctly. I took photos and videos for them. The Magnum Opus comes apart much easier than the Aria for service and maintenance. It is a two piece unit with a base that bolts onto the floor flange with a rubber seal. Then the china bowl bolts to the floor with a rubber seal between the base and bowl.

When this deal cam along I jumped on it as previously I had looked into what my alternatives were and then actually got to see and use one that was in a 2003 Signature coach last fall and the owner had virtually no problems with it in all those years other than to replace the seat. After that, I had to have one. It is extremely quiet, the valve is much different than the flat knife type valve Thetford uses. The Sealand uses a semi-ball valve, that flips to one side in a blink of an eye, then flips back. The Magnum Opus is a "classy" unit that is found it higher end coaches. All of my fixtures were off-white "bone" color except for the Aira which was white. The Magnum Opus is the "bone"color with brass accents and matches the rest of the bathroom fixtures. Could never figure out why Monaco didn't install one from the factory but I'm sure it was a cost issue.

One word of caution, the Aria required a higher type floor flange which would not work with the Magnum Opus. I had to change out the floor flange to a normal height flange. It ended up to be an all day job for a novice that has never done one.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper now!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #12

Richard,

Thanks for the detailed information on water usage!

My only concern now is making it fit on my existing closet flange. I do have a Sealand 510 so it has the four bolt flange patern. A potential problem is that the distance from the back wall to the centerline of the existing flange opening is 11." I also have a water line running on top of the floor along the wall which would be directly behind the toilet when installed. From photos in the Magnum Opus brochure it appears the back of the toilet base (at floor level) is slanted towards the front. I'm wondering, if the toilet was positioned as close to the wall as it could be and still lift the seat up:

1) what woudl be the approximate distance to the centerline of the flange opening, and
2) how much room would there be between the base of the toilet (at floor level) and the back wall?

Really appreciate all of your help!!

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Chuck,

In regards to the flange, since you already are using a Sealand product, chances are you good to go. I did a switch between Aria and Sealand. The Aria needed a flange that sits well above the floor. Magnum Opus does not. The flange I put in was probably 1/4 to 3/8 thick from the floor. The distance of mine was about 11" to center-line of middle of flange. I had no problem with clearance in the back. The base sits flush and level. The china bowl sits on top of the base. Everything is level, not tipped.

The base is smaller than the china bowl that goes over the base. the base bolts to the flange using four typical special flat head bolts. Once the base is secured to the flange with the rubber gasket in between and the water line is connected to the base, then you set the china bowl over the base & another rubber gasket and hooking up the water line from the base to the bowl. Secure it with four lag bolts with decorator caps. Hook up the the controls, set the switch to your choice of water level and close the rear cover. I read recently where the Magnum Opus uses one pint of water when using the low setting. That's not very much water at all, don't you think!

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #14

Richard,

Again, THANKS for all your help.

Just one more question:

On the backside of the toilet base where the the base of the toilet rests on the floor, what is the distance between the toilet base and the wall of the coach? Is there room for a 2" diameter pipe to run along the wall on the floor in that space behind the toilet?

Thanks,

Chuck