Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Telescopic flag pole problems

I thought I had seen just about every problem a full timer could have in the last 2 years....here is a new one!! Our 20 foot telescopic flag pole will not come down after 4 months of use. The sections will not twist to reverse the grip...Even tried 2 strap pipe wrenches, no luck. How are these things assembled? Any ideas? WD40 didn't help either!
DACOTAH
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

Is it one of those five piece aluminum ones?
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Yes it is. Bought from Harbor Freight. If I can get it apart, I could remove the locking part and just pin the sections together to make it simple. Ideas??
DACOTAH
Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

There is a product that is called PP Blaster, spray on let sit over night. This really works.
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #5

PB Blaster is good stuff. Also marvel mystery oil works. You could also try some heat.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
What I do with mine is hold it vertically and grasp the next to bottom section ...lift the whole pole up about a foot or so and then bring it down really hard on a hard (concrete) floor while holding on tightly. This will break loose the corrosion. I then do it for the next section until it's all down. Works for me.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

LANERD,I will try that,sounds like a good idea. I have tried PB blaster, it works great for metal parts, but didn't help here. Right now in south Florida wind blowing 25 mph so will wait to try your idea when wind slows down. In addition to the flag, we use the top for our digital HD TV antenna; works every where we have been except we do not get A&E so no Duck Dynasty...don't get me started on that...will report results asap...
DACOTAH
Old 02-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PB Blaster plus lanerd's methodology should get you there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem with the same pole. The problem is water makes the locks swell. If you get it to move the chrome collars are only glued on and will come apart to disassemble the pole.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah View Post
... Our 20 foot telescopic flag pole will not come down.... The sections will not twist to reverse the grip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
What I do with mine is hold it vertically and grasp the next to bottom section ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I had the same problem with the same pole....
Dacotah, lanerd, and speed racer....... Separate and apart from the corrosion problem, how has the HF flagpole stood up to the vagaries of the weather? I'm in the market for a pole. Thanks!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Dacotah, lanerd, and speed racer....... Separate and apart from the corrosion problem, how has the HF flagpole stood up to the vagaries of the weather? I'm in the market for a pole. Thanks!
After I removed the locking rings and drilled holes for pins I have had no more problems.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I kinda live by the old adage, "If it's jammed force it. If it breaks it needed replacing".
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #13

Pole problem solved

This morning, after last night,s high winds, I went back and removed the pole from the back of the motorhome and tried the slam it down idea...It worked!! There were several problems ...The inside of the poles had some aluminum corrosion,the rain that got in past the rings caused a hydro lock condition because each section was full of water, and the plastic stop rings were sticking caused by dirt. First, I drilled holes in the plastic bottom of each section, I used corrosion block spray, and eliminated the rough lock rings and replaced them with 1/4 inch pins with spring keepers... from Home Depot. Not as neat as being able to lock in any position, but it will come down fast in a high wind. I have mounted the pole on the side of the roof ladder and it stays there while on the road.When set for the night, it goes up in about 2 minutes.

Thanks to all that replied, great info,and yes with these mods it's a good pole for only $50.00 at Harbor Freight. Thanks again, DACOTAH
Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Actually, I eventually got tired of it sticking every time and gave it away and bought a 22' fiberglass pole from "Flagpole Whse" at one of the large rv rally's in Oregon last year. Surprisingly, it too will stick (but not near as bad) and I use the same procedure I described above.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote