Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #1

Television Remodel

Last Christmas my wife bought me a new 32" flat screen to replace the old heavy traditional T.V. in my 1996 Pace Arrow. Since I retired in Sep, a few weeks ago I finally got around to doing the job. The old one had been torn out long ago as I thought it was a hazard, plus I rarely watch TV even at home let alone out on the road. In it's place I had a large check list that I execute prior to departing wherever it is I have been (it has saved me a few times).
After considering what would be my best option this is what I came up with. I cut a card board template as my old mount was irregular in that the hole was less than square, also the roof line was slightly curved. From there I cut a piece of 3/8" ply wood in the shape of my template. I then cut a 5" strip off the bottom and top. The strips I screwed into the frame leaving me with a 20" (estimate) center chunk of plywood. I then hinged the bottom of the plywood to the lowed screwed on strip, and placed vertical slide type bolt locks on the top strip. I then mounted the television to the plywood, cut holes for wires to run through. I now have the television mounted (upper right roof line placement), no wires show, the cords to the antenna, Play Station, DVD, etc. When I want to access the storage area behind the television, I simply release the upper pins on the slide bolts, and the television swings down allowing me to use the storage area behind it, or check cables, etc. I wish I were able to post photos as this may not be the greatest explanation. Later when I start my Remodel to the entire unit I will file, sand and varnish, or place fabric that I am redoing the upholstery with over it (the woodwork).
What do you think?
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I can't imagine what you've described (need pics) but as long as it is solid it is probably good. The swing down part sounds pretty neat!

My approach was very crude - used a couple of 2x4's to which the tv mount is attached (written up here). It allows the TV to move out of the way for access to the area. Since this link was published, I've upgrade to a 22" Samsung TV which I really like.

Tags
remodel, television