RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

Tell me I知 not on drugs

So, I feel like I知 crazy. So I need someone to verify what痴 going on.

I have a 2019 Entegra Vision. My wife went out today to move it. Upon retracting all jacks on the equalizer system the 斗ow voltage light came on and it stopped retracting. I told her to start the engine. Which she says it would not start. So I had her hold the battery boost and start it which worked. Therefore I assume the equalizer system is connected to the engine battery and not the house battery?

Now, I played with the jacks to do a little maintenance to make it easier for me to install a tpms. Once I went in to level it again, I receive the low voltage light and same problem. However, without battery boosting, I try to start the engine. When I turn the key forward, I get a 田lick like I have no power. And so when I let off the key, the engine gives a quick crank by itself and starts right up like it boosted itself off somehow. I killed it and repeated this process probably 6 or 7 times. ???? Is this normal behavior???

Also, on a few side notes, when the main house kill switch is off the steps still go out and retract with opening the door. So I assume this is also connected to the engine battery and could have drained my battery? But I致e only had the rv parked since Labor Day and have been in and out a handful of times.

We were connected to house power on a 20A plug. Would this not charge the engine battery? Or only charges the house battery? Also tried running the generator which did not help.

The only way we do not receive low voltage is to have the engine running while using auto leveler system.

Halpain17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the steps and the jacks are powered from the chassis (engine) battery in a late model coach (RVIA standards).

I don't know if the Entegra charges the chassis battery from shore power or not - some brands do, others not. Another owner can probably help on this one. It's an easy and inexpensive function to add if it's not part of the factory set-up.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Its wise to run the engine when deploying the levelers. The pump motor amp draw is significant and low voltage is tuff on the motor windings. You don't mention how old your battery is but as they age, they draw down more quickly.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:59 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1) (I read) many dealers swap old batteries for new to put new in customers warranty/ complaint vehicle to get back on road or; 2) employee did it to steal new battery or 3) terminals corroded or battery low water from sitting on lot; 4) Fact: slight terminal corrosion you cannot see until terminal removed can STOP a battery from charging over a (very marginal) 70-75%; so 1) SAFETY GLASSES, 2) CHECK WATER; 3) REMOVE/ CLEAN TERMINALS; 4) CHARGE (may require 4to 24-hours to get 100% charged); 5) if further problems/ concerns, get battery tested after charging. Most all will charge coach when plugged in to shoreline, many (can) charge chassis if they flip the ESS toggle?
Old 09-13-2019, 02:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Since at least 2013, Ford engines do not require the key to be held in the start position. Just turn the key to the start position very briefly, let off, and the starter will do its thing until the motor catches.

So I am wondering if you have a bad starter switch.... if it is acting like you say.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #6

Side Cameras

Has anyone ever used the AMP-L-START? Battery charger/maintainer

Chassis Battery Drain

There are other threads besides these that discuss your battery drain. Biggest culprit is the side cameras that remain active.

I have the exact same unit. I installed the Trik-L-Start and it keeps the chassis battery topped off whenever the house batteries are receiving a charge from shore power or other sources. I put in a battery disconnect for the chassis battery that I use if I will not be connected to any charging power for more than 4-5 days as that seems to be the point where starting power becomes questionable.

Welcome to the "Baby" Entegra family! We tend to be orphaned children as far as the Mothership is concerned, but we have all found the hidden gems of the gasser Class A's.

If you are interested, there are a number of posts describing mods that some of us have done. The CHF is one of them and makes a world of difference. Search for it as it is well documented here on the forum.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #7

Wow, thanks everyone!

It seems my rv will not allow me to auto level with the ignition on. So that may not be an option.
My plans are to install the trik L start, and install a chassis battery disconnect switch. Primarily the switch will be solely for boon-docking as I am building a shed with a 30A hookup to store my Rv on my property. I also had thought about trying to install the Magnum stand alone AGS for boon-docking. But I’ve had a harder time finding threads about that. My thought is that the ags would start the generator for a period of time when either the battery gets close to 50% to charge the house battery or when the interior temp is above a set degree to run the AC units. But that would include me leaving the AC units in the on position prepared for the generator to come on. Is there a problem with this idea? Excuse my lack of knowledge/terminology, but I assume the command center knows not to let the AC units run when not generator or shore power is connected?

Side note, I had no idea driving could get easier. I almost decided it was routine to have the white knuckle first hour of each trip until I became comfortable with the sways and fish tail feeling. Now I plan to do the CHF and even probably install a rear track bar!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #8

Seems something is not right if you can not run your levelers with the ignition on. I would contact Entegra and see what they have to say.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #9

Well, I値l have to mess with it some and make sure. I知 pretty sure my wife started the engine at a campground and the jacks automatically retracted, but maybe I知 wrong. Also, I was thinking the other day they did not want to auto level due to the engine running, but now I知 second guessing myself. The Equalizer system does have a warning light for ignition on and manuals ask that you have the ignition off while leveling the rv.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

I read part of the installation manual for the equalizer and it looks like you are correct. They do it different than the others and shut it down if you start the motor.

That being said in my mind it is a bad idea to then have that kind of load on your starting battery with the motor off then relying on battery alone to carry the load. Not sure why you would want to discharge the starting battery's and assume it was going to get plugged in or having the genset running to recharge it every time. It seems if that is the operation they wanted you would wire it to what I assume to be a larger battery bank on the house battery's creating less of a discharge.

I read where they talked about wiring the pump in but I did not see where they recommended on what set of battery's. If it were mine it would be rewired off the house battery. It does not make sense to me to kill the starting battery's. I believe that system is like mine, in that the pump runs both leveling and retracting the jacks so if you don't recharge in between you probably discharge the battery to the point you experience what you did. Do that too many times and you will probably need new starting battery's.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #11

Yes thanks. I hooked up a charger to the chassis battery last night and it shows to be bad. I’m going to grab a new battery. Trik-L-Start is in the mail to keep it charged while connected to shore power, as well as chassis battery post shut off switches to prevent parasitic drains from side camera sand others while dry camping.
I may look at moving the Equalizer to the house battery as well.