Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Can the temp. sensor on a 2003 be replaced with a Stewart Warner gage setup? Will it effect the computer? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Can the temp. sensor on a 2003 be replaced with a Stewart Warner gage setup? Will it effect the computer? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You got several answers at RVNET on this -- looks like the iRVers are sleeping on this one.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #4

Why would you want to disable the stock gage when you don't have to? Just screw the S-W sender into the unused sender hole on the other cylinder block.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
fatman...
whaddya drivin? plz add some info in your signature box.
if u have a gas eng you can use a scan gauge 2 to get a digital readout of coolant temp as well as about 20 other parameters.
i got mine from mileage pros...
it works well.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Mahlon, don't really trust the gage that came on the rv. It has such a wide range on the gage I would like one that is more accurate. I posted this over on RVnet, but the answers over here are answered by folks that seem to have more knowledge then some who answer over there. Some seem to give infomation on topics and shouldn't be...enough said..
Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fatmanobx,

Do like DanL told you.

Get a Scangauge II. Plug it into your "on board computer" (near the steering column- under the dash on mine) and your done . Digital info is all there, including tranny temperature, engine temperature, throttle position, Horse Power, Torque, RPM, MPH, oil pressure, vacuum, etc, etc, etc. Its a great tool. Go here to Omeys site, call him, He'll send you one all set up.

Go here to see To see more on this wonderful instrument. It'll cost about $180-- Well worth it!

Good luck,
Old 12-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Like Mahlon said... get a scan gauge or an Interceptor. Both just plug into your OBDII port and give you all kinds of neat information. One good one is you get transmission temperature.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fatmanobx:
Mahlon, don't really trust the gage that came on the rv. It has such a wide range on the gage I would like one that is more accurate. I posted this over on RVnet, but the answers over here are answered by folks that seem to have more knowledge then some who answer over there. Some seem to give infomation on topics and shouldn't be...enough said.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that wasn't my point. It just seemed to me that you were creating work for yourself.

The cyl heads on the 8.1L engine are identical in all respects, including the pipe-tapped hole for the temp sender (one side has the sender, the other side has a pipe plug in the hole). Just screw your new temp gage sender into the unused hole and don't bother messing with the stock sender.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #10

Oh, another thing: a Scanguage will simply give you a very precise readout of whatever the stock temp sensor is putting out, along with whatever inaccuracies go with it.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Thank you all for all the great responces. With everything else that can go wrong on these things, I am going ahead and buy one of the scan gauges and have all the info mentioned at hand. Thanks again, Ron
Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Just ordered my Scan Guage and it will be here in a couple of days. Thanks again to all and maybe this will make me more at ease. Thanks, Ron
Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MAX...
there is no oil pressure readout on my scangauge.
LINEAR LOGIC, the manufacturer, says that they are working on that and to keep checking there website about new x gauge functions.
my coolant temp runs from 197-202 deg. wh and brazels say that is normal.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:48 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your right DanL-- Sorry,