Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

2006 Ford chassis under class A motor home. While driving my temp gauge spikes as if I over heated.. I pull over turn the engine off then on and I am ok for a couple hours. I also lose power.
Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

2006 Ford chassis under class A motor home. While driving my temp gauge spikes as if I over heated.. I pull over turn the engine off then on and I am ok for a couple hours. I also lose power.
Joe

Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
jsede, welcome to iRV2.

We have very helpful members here, and help should be along shortly.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #4

Joe, the v10 is designed to go into a limp mode (power reduction) when it overheats and eventually shut down to prevent engine damage. It sounds as if you may have a problem with your cooling system, i.e., stuck thermostat or other. When you pull over, did you check the coolant level in the coolant reservoir? There was a problem with some earlier model v10's with the radiator hose clamps that would break and dump the coolant. You need to have it checked out at a Ford facility to determine what's causing your overheating and power loss.

Good luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #5

I just got off the phone withFord. There is a service bulletin for a cylinder head temp sensor. All the symptoms. Now I need to find a dealer first thing in the AM. According to Ford when I turn the engine off it resets. Cant be doing this for 3000 miles.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #6

jsede, sounds like you have the mystery solved, good to hear it's only a faulty temp sensor causing the problem, thanks for the feed back.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #7

I bumped the post on the false overheating. Sounds like the Ford folks you talked to know about it.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #8

I got to Larry Miller Ford on Monday. Once the rig cooled down the repairs were done and I was on the road. Ford came through.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LVJ58:
Joe, the v10 is designed to go into a limp mode (power reduction) when it overheats and eventually shut down to prevent engine damage. It sounds as if you may have a problem with your cooling system, i.e., stuck thermostat or other. When you pull over, did you check the coolant level in the coolant reservoir? There was a problem with some earlier model v10's with the radiator hose clamps that would break and dump the coolant. You need to have it checked out at a Ford facility to determine what's causing your overheating and power loss.

Good luck, Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you get the check engine light with the P1299 code?

I had similar incident a couple of weeks ago. Where is the cylinder head temp sensor (is it on both heads, and where) and how hard is it to replace?

Thanks,
Bill