Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Tempest AGM battery?

I ran across this battery when researching AGMs or flooded cell to replace my existing batteries in my RV. I currently have group 27 size flooded cell (Costco) that the prior owner installed and I'm not happy with the battery life.

This AGM is a 110 amp hour 12 volt battery for $220. Similar warranty and spec as the lifeline GPL 31t, supposedly manufactured in California, $160 less per battery and it seems that the threaded terminal will still work for replacing existing connections.

Any experience and thoughts? This is a true deep cycle agm.

In my case the Lifeline 30 series is too tall. I have group 37's and the dimensions of the Trojan 30XHS will just fit into my space for 2 batteries. Unfortunately Golf cart batteries are 1/2 inch too tall and I don't want to cut the fiberglass on my rig or remove the battery drawer to make them fit.

I would get more amp hours out of the Trojan battery in this case, albeit not in an AGM. Basically the thought is if $31 more for 30 less amp hours but stepping up to AGM is worth it or if stepping up should only mean paying the premium for lifeline.

I realize of course that one company here is marketing to mobility devices while the other has an area of focus on our market.

TD100-12 - 12 Volts 100 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Battery

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
110 amp hours is closer to a Group 29 than a 31 (31 is 130)

YOu could go with a pair of six volt GC-2 Deep cycle Golf car batteries, these are flooded wet cells but 220-230 amp hours makes them the same capacity as your 110 amp hour AGM's when paired. And likely less than half the cost.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
I went with non "lifeline" AGM batteries and I'm very happy with my batteries. I suspect others may see these and give them a try. If you included shipping when comparing I would spend the extra $31 dollars to go with AGM'S.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry - I meant group 27 were my current batteries, not group 37. On the question of GC2s (golf cart), it appears thus far that every one I've found is at least 1/2" too tall for my battery compartment. I would have to give up the battery drawer/slide to make them fit. I do have some width that allows for a bit bigger battery as long as it is about 10.25" tall or less and not wider than 7.25" each. Some 30's and 31's fit if they aren't too tall, but it varies by brand.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote