Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Temporary removal of captain's chair

I'm about to the point, in my "remodel", that I will be removing the carpet in the front of the MH. The second "row" flexsteel captains chair needs to be removed for the install of the karndean vinyl laminate. It swivels but that is all. How are these things bolted down?

If I have the instructions, I think I can get my husband to help me take it out.

McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mine basically was bolted down with 4 bolts.

You should be able to look underneath and see the bolts, should be simple to remove.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

You should be able to look underneath and see the bolts, should be simple to remove.
X2
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just did this last week (removed the chairs), there are 4 bolts that hold the chair to the floor. I found it easier to remove the 4 bolts that holds the chair to the pedestal then remove that from the floor, I could get more leverage on the bolts them. Takes 10 minutes max per chair.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

x3 Same on mine.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

they may have cut the carpet to cover the base of the pedestal. You may have to cut/pull that back to expose the bolts. Chances are you will have to put a wrench under the motor home to hold the nut/bolt from turning
Old 03-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Usually on a Flexsteel you can remove the big center nut that clamps the swivel mechanism to the base. That lets you life the chair off, though it may have to be aligned a particular way to do that. Then just cut around the square base to install the flooring.

There are different Flexsteel bases depending on the model of the seat, but they are all very similar.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
they may have cut the carpet to cover the base of the pedestal. You may have to cut/pull that back to expose the bolts. Chances are you will have to put a wrench under the motor home to hold the nut/bolt from turning
Agree.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Usually on a Flexsteel you can remove the big center nut that clamps the swivel mechanism to the base. That lets you life the chair off, though it may have to be aligned a particular way to do that. Then just cut around the square base to install the flooring.

There are different Flexsteel bases depending on the model of the seat, but they are all very similar.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. We will be installing new flooring in our mh next month. I'll check to see if this works on ours.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

I am interested in your use of the Karndean Vinyl product in an RV. We recently remodeled our downstairs in the SB house and used the Karndean product both on wood and concrete surfaces. The flooring company that did the work used a self leveling product to smoothen the concrete surface before installing the vinyl however they used 5mm plywood subflooring atop the wood stairs (2x10 stairs) and risers before applying the product there. I was told that the 5mm plywood was required by the vinyl manufacturer to maintain smoothness of the vinyl and to keep the manufacture's warranty in force. We too are considering using the same product in our coach but concerned with what the 5mm floor elevation would look like when butted up to existing carpet which we would prefer to keep. I was told by my servicing dealer that the current vinyl product on my coach floor is a "peel and stick" squares product that is relatively easy to remove. Once that's done I will be looking at the bare 3/4" plywood flooring. He further suggested that we use a conventional wood filler to repair any wood floor damage caused by the initial removal before recovering the floor. My concern remains with the need for the subflooring rather than applying the product directly to the plywood floor.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160123_122104_resized.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	121328  
Old 03-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While the chairs are removed you might consider checking / replacing the swivel bearing. This is the circular steel ring under the chair mount. If your chair currently "rocks" while securely fastened in place, its time to replace the bearing. Very inexpensive and easy to do so. On-line with any RV parts supply company.

Tags
removal