Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #29

Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
You Know...that corrosive white power that gets on the metal slide trays in the battery compartments. What causes it and after you clean it off with metal brush and water how can you keep it from coming back? ANY IDEAS?
Here's how I do mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0406.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	88404  

aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #30
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have read of folks who fill their flooded wet cell batteries FULL, I mean FULL, and of course this means they spit acid all over the battery compartment.

I have seen folks tell us to fill to the BOTTOM OF THE FILLER TUBE (also known as a split ring) and again they spit acid all over the place.

Fill to 1/8 to 1/4 inch BELOW the bottom of the split ring,, they do not spit so much if you do that.. IF the batteries need charging make it 1/2 inch or more (Above the plates a bit is good), then charge and top off to 1/8 to 1/4.
But cleaning is routine maintenance.
I have always filled my lead acid house batteries to the BOTTOM OF THE FILLER TUBE (also known as the split ring)... and I have never had an acid overflow problem.... (but ONLY if/when the batteries are FULLY CHARGED).

If/when the cells are filled to the split rings, (aka: "topped off" with distilled water), when the battery voltage is LOW, ..... the electrolyte will overflow as the batteries take a charge.

'96 Safari

'96 Safari, 137k miles

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That Blasted White Corrosive Powder!

Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
It is nifty but not more effective than a 2x per year turkey baster!
I believe the OP's question related to the prevention of battery corrosion. A turkey baster is effective for filling wet cells, but does nothing to prevent corrosion. A battery watering system on the other hand nearly eliminates battery corrosion.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #32
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After wire brushing, sanding and cleaning the battery tray and compartment with baking soda, consider covering everything with spray-on liquid rubber. Then use thin grease, spray oil, or spray battery post protection on the slides to protect them from acid vapor.

When I added solar, I changed to AGM batteries and no longer have your problem.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote