Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Depreciation table is a great tool to use and is still accurate IMO. The rest is knowlegeable opinion in 2005 so he is looking at older years engine life data. Agree they last longer now (thanks Japan automakers ) And the cost he is referring to is "cost of money" not just out of pocket $$$.

When does anyone think that tablet-based controls and manuals will come to lower priced units? Can't believe you still get paper manuals with a $150k price tag at lower end for new DP.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #16

WE bought our 2000 34ft class A in Sept 2012 its a V10 gaser with only 43K miles on it.
Has all the "Banks" power upgrades inc headers & exhaust, intake system, transmission shift controller etc.
The paint is a little faded because it has been a Nevada MH since new, but the interior was like brand new.
At what we paid 25K we were over the moon.
This same coach exactly as described, back home would set me back $160, 000 NZD NO I am not joking.

I would never buy brand new, always a few years old and will do so one day.

honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Personally, I don't thing that there is any way a "normal" person can justify the cost of RVing as a good financial decision, new or used, if you figure storage costs, taxes, gas, depreciation, etc. But everyone reading this knows that it is worth it. As mentioned above, memories, scenery, adventure, family time, you name it. As the commercial says - priceless (most of the time anyway :-) ). FWIW, my first was used, second was new and third is used. I don't think I would buy new again due to huge depreciation.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #18

My sister in NY owns 5th wheel and she gets some tax break because the RV is considered a second home since it has a bathroom. Not sure how that works up there but may be worth looking into in your state?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #19

That's a deduction nationwide. States have nothing to do with it.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was hoping to run into at least a partial discussion on tax questions. Interest as a second home should be deductable in most cases whether new or used. Sales tax may also be deductable. Any other tax savings differences that anyone can think of?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreen View Post
Personally, I don't thing that there is any way a "normal" person can justify the cost of RVing as a good financial decision, new or used, if you figure storage costs, taxes, gas, depreciation, etc. But everyone reading this knows that it is worth it. As mentioned above, memories, scenery, adventure, family time, you name it. As the commercial says - priceless (most of the time anyway :-) ). FWIW, my first was used, second was new and third is used. I don't think I would buy new again due to huge depreciation.
Well, being fulltime, we spend less now than we did in real estate taxes, utilities, etc. Tags cost $81 per year no matter what, but that is ALL we pay in PA. We had depreciation on the new rig, but 5 year wty on the things that count most, and the big cost issues will be waaaay down the road, and probably something for owner 2 to deal with.
But, as you say, it IS worth it!!
And, you and I are not "normal". We have a grand time! Hey, if everyone did this, they would stop building condos and make more RV resorts!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
I was hoping to run into at least a partial discussion on tax questions. Interest as a second home should be deductable in most cases whether new or used. Sales tax may also be deductable. Any other tax savings differences that anyone can think of?
When I had a loan on a S&B and another on my RV, the interest on both was deductible on Fed taxes. But, tax reform may negate that soon.
Now? No loans, no deductions. Oh well...

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #23

There is nothing cheap about owning an RV IMHO.

Before I bought my A,s my RV,s were relatively cheap. My first TT in 1964 was about $4k and went up as I bought more TT,s to $62K in 94 for a class C but in 2001 it was $220K for my first DP and my second DP in 2005 was $305K. my B+ in 2010 was $118K. All told cost was about $700K for output, albeit I did get trade in value for some and others I sold private. which my retained value is about $100k. paid cash each time so there were no finance charges, however one adds the numbers up, costs were in the hundreds of thousands of $ in just depreciation costs to say nothing of operation and maintenance costs.

While I would never pay finance charges for such a discretionary expense like an RV, many people do and that just adds to the cost.

I did have a house mortgage and I have financed cars back in the day but those days are behind me thank goodness. Own our S&B and cars etc outright so the only expenses we have are operating costs.

Feel sorry for those who have not "burned" the mortgage and are still paying finance charges for one thing or another, but we are only on this earth once so I say, make hay when the sun shines, but put something away for a rainy day and enjoy you time on top of the green grass.

But RV,s are not cheap.