Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The view from the front seat is SO much better with an A.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My parents have class c. I have class a. The class c doesnt drive as well as my a. I guess cause the c is not really designed for the weight on the steer tires. Besides that. Cass a has better visibility better ride. Ease of moving round while driving. I do my own work on the motor and it is 100% simpler to work on the motor in the class a vs class c. I cant even see the spark plugs on the class c. The a I remove the "dog house cover" and I can change them from inside the coach.
The one thing I like bout the c is the driver and passenger door. It is a bit nerve racking having to exit and enter from the coach.
I hope I was able to help you some.

Mike
Splendorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto the recommendation to drive both. As a woman I find the class A super easy to drive even though it looks more 'scary' than a class C. The A is more stable, has more power in the mountains, smoother ride, better visibility (love that big window) etc. So give the ride a go before you finalize your decision.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #18

We've had both and both met our needs at the time, BUT there's nothing like the view out of the front of a Class A!

Steve
Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had both A class and C class motorhomes. If I were to look for a 30' to 31' motorhome, I would definitely look to a small class A over the C. The C chassis in a 31' motorhome has a limited GVWR of 14,050 lb and a low cargo carrying capacity. It is easy to over load them.

A class C suspension system is taxed beyond the limits of reasonable and most do not have as much basement storage as a A. Of course you can;t add much weight to a C anyway due to the lower GVWR.

An A will have more basement storage and a higher GVWR and cargo carrying capacity. The suspension is designed more like a truck and generally will handle better.

The A has more useable space as the cockpit becomes part of the living area where the C is sort of an unused area.

The big plus for the C is it is more like driving a car with a lot of extra behinf it.

I'd still take an A over a C.

Ken
Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #20

Not mentioned in any of the above (OOPS - just read the post above mine - sorry), is that usually in a class "A", the driver and passenger Captain seats at destination can usually be swiveled to become very nice and usable part of the front room furniture , making virtually ALL the interior usable space.

We have an older 27 foot Winnie Super Chief class "A" ('88), and my brother has a later model Mini-Winnie 27 foot class "C" with nearly the identical floor plan, from the driver and passenger seat back, all is the same - his does have the overhead bunk, perhaps a deciding factor to those needing maximum sleeping space - but otherwise, the driver compartment area ,seats. etc., are worthless when parked. Plus, as already stated, the class "A" huge front windows make a great picture window, a nice plus in most of the areas we camp...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #21

Ok I'm going to keep them both on my list. I worry about driving & parking. Am I right in thinking the since I have to learn to drive either one, the A will be no harder to learn than the C ?

When parks have restrictions on the Size of RV it's based on length, not on class ?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #22

I find the A is easier. Restrictions, more size restrictions than class restrictions. There are a few high dollar parks that only allow class As
Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulinn
Ok I'm going to keep them both on my list. I worry about driving & parking. Am I right in thinking the since I have to learn to drive either one, the A will be no harder to learn than the C ?

When parks have restrictions on the Size of RV it's based on length, not on class ?
That was my experience. The class A was very easy to learn to drive. The biggest difference is probably that most class A's have a larger turning radius than class C's. Once you get used to that (and you can take a RV driving class if you like) the rest is easy.

As for restrictions in parks it's pretty much always based on size, and that (in turn) mostly at public parks.
Nina
Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #24

Thanks, I've been watching a "learn to drive an RV" on line ands it's based on a class A. I'll watch a few dozen more times . Then have a local rental in mind to try out my driving skills.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driving an A or C is all in your mind set if you think you'll have problems and are afraid or concerned you will most likely start out having some problems overcoming that mind set. On the other hand if you have no preconceived problem area you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised just how easy it is to become accustomed to driving either one of them.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulinn View Post

During 2007 thru 2009 I went from a pop-up to motor home and through the same process you are.
I tried them all and had the check written on a C (Seven Seas by Cobra), but at the last minute discovered an A of the same vintage (Allegro) - both Chevy based. I found A's initially intimidation; but, after a couple hours, easier to drive due to the better visibility - my A has a much better ride than the C I mentioned above. Also, as someone else mentioned, all of the interior space is useable as living space on an A. I also find my (gas) A's is easier to do my own maintenance on than the C I was looking at due to better access to the parts and batteries.
One more thought to pass on - I looked at a lot of used motor homes. The older wood framed Cs all had water leaks and wood rot around the cab-over bed. Whatever you decide to get, I would make sure you check into theconstruction method. I like aluminum framing vs. wood if you plan to keep it a long time and outside a lot.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #27

Nothing is carved in stone yet, but I'm now leaning heavy to the Class A that I had found and liked. I completely agree that mindset can make huge difference in how you approach a situation. I consider myself to be reasonable careful in what I do, hence my asking for and listening to you folks ! I'm already planning how to become accustomed to the "A" and I have no doubt I'll be seeing some of you the road.

Can't full time for another 5 or so years, but will be part timing starting next spring.

Bonnie
Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might as well look at the Super B's as well. An example would be the Winny Via. All the comforts of a Class A yet economical to operate.

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote