Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #29
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
You might as well look at the Super B's as well. An example would be the Winny Via. All the comforts of a Class A yet economical to operate.
Just for clarification Winnie calls the Via a class A and it fits their definition of an A (as I recall from their literature from years ago), built from the ground up on a custom chassis. Winnie basically (other than the ERA B class line) has two classes of motorhomes: Class A and Class C. They have refrained from the B+ classification.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #30
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want a higher GVWR you will need to find a C with a tag axle. Thats what gives the A class there bigger weight capcity. Most C's only come with a dually set and NO tag axle about 75% of A's come with tag axles.
My C will hold all 71/2 of us on a rainy day quite comfy. The veiw out the front is not as large as it use to be with the A we had BUT the view out the table window and the couch make up for it.
I would suggest however make sure you have some kind of back up camera either factory or DIY installled it makes a big differance when you back these BEAST up.

As far as repairs I have done them on both and they were both setup by someone who would NEVER work on them. That being said they are both very packed in some parts are easy to get to while others you need to be houdni to get at. Getting parts is a whole differant ball game if you get a DP you won't be able to just go to O'reillys and just pick them up if they can get them they will have to order them.

Now before the A's start yelling at me for being a traitor I drove my A for 6 years and put 20000 miles on it. Loved it in the end it was to small for my GROWING family and was 31 years old.

1996 GulfStream Conquest 31feet May 2011
1984 SouthWind 27feet loved for 6 years
1 Wife 6 Kids
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of the older class A's had tag axles, however only the very large pushers now have a tag axle.

When loaded up with 7-1/2 people and supplies have you checked your weight. That 31' Conquest has a GVWR or 14,050# and with the slides it is not light weight to start with.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #32
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The deciding factor for us in choosing a Class A over a Class C, was the towing capacity. In 2002 virtually none of the Class C's that we looked at had over a 3,500 lb towing capability. That plus the lack of queen beds nailed it for us to purchase a 35ft Class A.

Times have changed and there seem to be more Class C's with 5,000 lb tow capacities and queen beds.

Just make sure to consider towing capability, even if you don't plan to use it right away.
2002 35R Southwind, W22 8.1L Vortec UltraPower, 19.5' wheels
Toad: Wrangler, lifted and on 35" tires
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
When I first started looking, 4 years ago, the big class a's were very intimidating. I remember a test drive of as new allegro dp, I was so scared in the passenger seat that I never drove it.

At the time, my dream coach was a jayco seneca super c.

I dint want a conventional e450 C due to the limited capacity, no leveling jacks.

I did eventually buy what I could afford, a 10year old 36 ft class a. And g
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Oops. And got used to driving the damned thing. Lol. Ups truck with a refridgerator..lol.

3 years later, this past spring, I bought my knight, and I love it. I love it so much that I also love the 700 per mionth for 20 years payments.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Riding in the A with the big windshield is like watching the discovery channel on TV. A "C" is like looking out of your family car or van.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #36
Fleetwood Owners Club

Used to have a 28' C, now a 36' A. As we mostly weekended and short termed with the kids the six sleeper was great. But storage was not. Pulled the boat and used it for storage. Without boat we had to use the above driver bunk to store things.
Now that we are semi full time I appreciate the storage to have what you need when you need it.

03 Fleetwood Bounder 35r
Ford V10, F53 Chassis
Gerall is offline   Reply With Quote