Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With slide and it does not matter who manufactured the RV, it is not if it will break, but when it will break.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I am currently on my third RV. The first was a Wanderer 5'er with a hydraulic slide. No issues while I owned it and is now owned by a friend who has also had no problems. The unit is 15 yrs old.

My second was a 2000 Dutch Star with two slides. The bedroom slide had a motor gear drive failure. Went camping anyway (while waiting for the parts) and put out the slide using a large crescent wrench. It only took a couple of minutes to put in or out.

My current RV is a 2007 Monaco with 4 slides. One of the things I did when we went through the walk through was to learn how to do the slides manually. Even with the thought of possible slide failure, it didn't deter me from getting an RV with a bunch of them.

Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
This is my 4th RV with slides. Never a problem with any of them.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #18

So there is no jiggle of the slides while driving, and no response to crosswind or big rigs driving by.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
So there is no jiggle of the slides while driving, and no response to crosswind or big rigs driving by.
Generally speaking, the slides fit close up to the side of the RV and there is very little movement unless traveling on a poor road surface--then we may get a bit of squeaking or rattling, but nothing alarming. I don't think slides matter with the "big rig effect" one way or another.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last MH had two. This one has four and I wish it had one on the generator too.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am aware of 3 types of slides, In theory there could be a 4th but I've never seen or heard of it.

Hydraulic slides.. These use hyrdaulic cylinders to move the slide in and out,, Usually there is some kind of bypass or manual valve you can open and simply PUSH the side in.. Then lock it in place with the locking bars or latches (Yes some slides have locks) and close the valve to drive it to the repair place.

Rack and Pinion.. I have driven with a broken rack and pinion system. Since there is a locking bar, the slide did nto move till I removed the lock and pushed.. HARD. so I could get at it and replace the stupid shear pins.

Cable Cars,, These have eight cables, 4 to move it out and 4 to move it in,, You'd have to break all 4 before it would "Flop around" and again, You can lock it with a lock bar if you wish.. I have broken ONE cable.

The 4th is a screw drive, and I just thought of a 5th

Screw drives are like electric v/s hydraulic jacks. They would be very hard to break however. And if someone were to make one it would likely have a 1/2 inch square end on the shaft, Stick your power driver in there and MANUALLY move it. (or a 3/4 inch nut).

Same for chain drive which I have seen on POP UPS, but again, there were latches.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #22

Slides or no slides? When it was in the early days I was in a coach with no slides and then after moving into one with 4 slides I am pretty well convinced that there is no way that I could ever go back to a no slide coach. I suppose that if you have only one, or two, or three slides, you get used to the space they provide and that is OK. But when you start to get into more slides, more space, more horsepower, you can get used to that too! Besides the slides to worry about, on any coach there about a thousand things that could break and cause problems, (keep reading this forum) but you learn to accept that may be a possibility, and go on enjoying your RV anyway! If I was worried about what might break or go wrong with it I might never have enjoyed the things that I have seen and experienced.
Besides if you ever find out that something is not working the way it should you will find some of the most knowledgeable, experienced, helpful, kindest people here on this forum who will not hesitate to lend a helping hand should you need it!
Like you will see so often here, be careful this type of lifestyle is addictive!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am aware of 3 types of slides, In theory there could be a 4th but I've never seen or heard of it.

Hydraulic slides.. These use hyrdaulic cylinders to move the slide in and out,, Usually there is some kind of bypass or manual valve you can open and simply PUSH the side in.. Then lock it in place with the locking bars or latches (Yes some slides have locks) and close the valve to drive it to the repair place.

Rack and Pinion.. I have driven with a broken rack and pinion system. Since there is a locking bar, the slide did nto move till I removed the lock and pushed.. HARD. so I could get at it and replace the stupid shear pins.

Cable Cars,, These have eight cables, 4 to move it out and 4 to move it in,, You'd have to break all 4 before it would "Flop around" and again, You can lock it with a lock bar if you wish.. I have broken ONE cable.

The 4th is a screw drive, and I just thought of a 5th

Screw drives are like electric v/s hydraulic jacks. They would be very hard to break however. And if someone were to make one it would likely have a 1/2 inch square end on the shaft, Stick your power driver in there and MANUALLY move it. (or a 3/4 inch nut).

Same for chain drive which I have seen on POP UPS, but again, there were latches.
...and then there is the Schwintek slides. UGH. I am normally VERY fair to most manufacturers and their different types of setups, however, the Schwintek system is a Technicians nightmare. I shudder when I think of the condition we'll get these things in as they head in for repair in another 5-10yrs or so. Sorry Lippert.. I like everything else you offer BUT these slides. Don't get me started on SeaLand's VacuFlush system either.... grrrrr
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #24

I'm still shopping for my fulltime rig, and have a newbie question. How much does the number of slides affect the CCC of the chassis? Which system has the smallest weight penalty? I've pretty much decided 2-3 slides would be ideal depending on floor plan , but DW thinks 3-4 would be better for fulltime. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
One vote for slides...It's all up to you on the floor-plan that you see as workable.

Quote:
I'm w/Sarah when it comes to appliances (especially those with propane lines) in a slide. Too many pinch points for my satisfaction. I will avoid appliances in slides if at all possible.

Lori-
Our new tt has a couch / kitchen in the one slide. Didn't really worry about it much when buying this unit. I saw a video on how a slide works when water, waste, electric and gas are involved. Yes, I have peeked behind the trim on my slide to see what all goes on behind the scene. I'm Ok with it.

You couldn't pay me to use a RV without any slides....We are spoiled now-a-days
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a Fleetwood Bounder DP. My CCC is 6500#'s. I have three slides. The rear slide is for the queen bed. But the opposing slides in the living area are what I love about my coach. They give me a 12' wide house.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #27

so47, what size is your Bounder? That's a great CCC, about what I was looking for.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
From the people who developed the first slides here is their slide spec's the old and the new systems.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote