Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Unhappy The fear of sliding

When I purchased my current class A, I wanted something simple, specifically no slides. For my next RV the added space in the floor plan of slides, especially 3 or 4 slides, seems irresistible. However, the thought of broken slide mechanisms and sections of walls jouncing around behind my head as I drive down a poor road just fills me with anxiety.

What has your experience with slides been? Please identify the year and model of your rv.

Thanks,
James
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have an '05, Fleetwood, Providence. Bought it 6 years ago and have been using it with the slides (3) since. I have had some problems, like blown fuses and I had to re-set the brake once or twice, to keep the curbside slide from creeping out, but in general, I have had very little problems with mine.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
DW and I have a 2012 Kodiak 242RESL (brought home September 2011) and have had no trouble with the living room slide. I lubricate once a year (in the spring) using a good quality silicone lubricant. I do check on the track over the camping season.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Other than paying a little bit of attention to where I choose to park I have had no problems what so ever pertaining to slides.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

Our old 2000 coach, purchased new, has 2 slides which operate with an electric rack & gear mechanism. So far, I'm pleased to report we've had zero problems with the slides.

Some coaches employ the hydraulic type slide mechanism where over time ram seal may develop leaks, and are often difficult to access for repair.

It's a personal thing for me, but I would only buy a coach with the electric rack and gear slide mechanism.

I'm not inferring in any way the electric rack and gear system is bullet proof, as they can also fail, but IMO they're easier to access and repair if needed.

Good luck choosing your next coach w/slides, and safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

We don't have any slides, they hadn't been invented yet, but friends do and most have no problems. The ones that have problems also have problems with everything else as they never do the minimum maintenance.

The thing I don't like about some slides is that the coach is tough to live in with the slides in. This is not true of all floor plans. So look at that if you care about it.

If you do get anything with sides, maintain them and know how to deploy/stow them without power.

Matt
Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
KIX

The coach in the signature has about 80K miles now. No problems with HWH hydraulic slides other than having one seal replaced a few months ago. No bouncing walls either.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My 1999 I owned for 11 years with no problems with a single slide, my 2009 I have owned 2 years and haven't had any issues with 3 slides, one is a full wall slide. My brother has a 2001 with 2 slides and never has had a problem with his.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
they never do the minimum maintenance.

The thing I don't like about some slides is that the coach is tough to live in with the slides in. This is not true of all floor plans. So look at that if you care about it.

Matt
Now that you mention it we to have to crawl over the bed with the slides in, either we have gotten use to it or more to the point there is only a lounge chair and desk back there that is really never used when closed.

No problem getting around up front.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Monaco Windsor Triple Slides PBT Floor-Plan.

Many things can go wrong with slides BUT I wouldn't live full-time in a coach that did NOT have at least three.

I would rather have had a Full-Wall slide but there were not available back then.

I have had to replace one electric slide motor on the kitchen slide and the shaft bushings on the main roadside slide.

They have been trouble-free other than those two repairs.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

Well,
Having slides is, without a doubt, a real benefit in a couple of ways. One, they obviously give you lots more room to "exist" while in the coach. And, they give you a bit, sometimes a lot, more resale value. Just how many slides one likes is up to them. The DW and I both agree, FOR US, that two is perfect. And, both on the drivers side of the coach.

The primary reason is, we feel that slides on the passenger side sort of "encroach" upon the sitting/lounging area, under the awning etc. on the outside of the coach. And, in some cases we've seen while looking for a coach, the passenger side slide is really close to the entry door. That, can limit entry access, as we felt we would be crowded in walking up and down the steps into and out of the coach. But, that's rare instances.

As for "issues" with slide mechanisms, well, yes they can come up. Just how much, based on the total amount of coaches out there running around, camped, parked, design, type, and a lot more, it's really hard to tell.

What you have to take into account is, the folks here on IRV2 and a couple of other RV forums, who report slide issues, are a minute fraction of what's out there in the real world. There may be a lot more issues with them than are reported and, there may not be. Knowing what I know, having dealt with at least one issue with them, I for one, would certainly not curb away from a next coach with slides in favor of one without because I had to fix an issue.

Some have had nightmares with theirs. Some, have had years and years, miles and miles, without so much as a hiccup from any of their slides. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT and Allison MH3000 trans. As stated, it has two, drivers side slides. They are powered by the HWH hydraulic system that also powers the leveling rams. And, as LVJ58 stated, some can have hydraulic leaks. We had one in the bedroom ram.

That was one of the toughest repairs I've EVER DONE on any vehicle I've ever owned, in over 45 years. But, my son and I did it, and, that was over two years ago and it's been working flawlessly ever since.

So, if I were the OP here, I'd not worry about it. Slides are a fact of life now with almost every RV out there that's anywhere near new and, even quite a few years old. About the only unit we'd shy away from is what's called a "Full Wall Slide". The issues reported with those, have been numerous and fairly tough to deal with. And, when they get out of time, it really becomes a pain. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
We don't have any slides, they hadn't been invented yet, but friends do and most have no problems. The ones that have problems also have problems with everything else as they never do the minimum maintenance.

If you do get anything with sides, maintain them and know how to deploy/stow them without power.

Matt
Very good points, Matt.

Our Bounder is two years old and no problems...knock on imitation wood!! My sister's Itasca is a 2004 and they have also had trouble-free sliding. Proper maintenance is important, along with awareness of weight limits for storage in the slideout.

I have to admit that I have a couple of "slidephobias" of my own. (And these are strictly my opinion.) I would not have a kitchen slide with the refrigerator or ANY plumbing in it. I also would not have one of those really loooooooooong slides. All that weight...yikes.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Had an 01 TT w/no slides, had an 04 5-r w/2 slides, now have an 06 moho with 2 slides. I much prefer slides & I always make a dealer bring slides in when I'm shopping. I want to know what I can & can't get to when the slides are in "travel mode".

The bedroom slide motor went out on us last year (luckily when it was in the IN position. But other than that, no issues. Regular maintenance is the key to happy operation.

I'm w/Sarah when it comes to appliances (especially those with propane lines) in a slide. Too many pinch points for my satisfaction. I will avoid appliances in slides if at all possible.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #14

I wouldn't touch electric slides. My experience with HWH slide mechanisms has been flawless. I wouldn't go any other way.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote