Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

The narrowest public roads you've driven on

Can make some interestings short stories
Where their located,
Other reasons they take top honors for being difficult,dangerous,even creepy

The first,but not bad once used to it is Hwy 32 between Chico and Chester Ca.
Its a road that hasnt changed much since the 20s or 30's.
Very narrow for an RV especially when Logging trucks coming head on.
Curves and hills,with no straightaways I recall
Pine trees that seem 2 ft from road side, Heavily wooded and lots of fast traffic.
Best time to travel was about after 2100 and befor 0400.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #2

Rd 88 N end of superstitions AZ

Its been many years since I drove Rd 88 just west of Roosevelt Lake and heading east from the Phoenix area.

Reason for trip:
We parked at the lake and hiked back to the weavers Needle and spend 3 or so days backpack/camping.

Anyway,it was a dirt/gravel road then and there was this section that seemed 1.5 car widths and on the left was a 2 or 3 ft wall and a canyon dropping STRAIGhT down .
On the right it was solid rock straight up.
It all made you want to drive really slow.
Curves were interesting.
Reminded me of the Most Dangerous(narrow) Road in the World, in S america,Bolivia, I think .
Currently in my area ,one can see it on tv commercials where they advertise some small car here in the us.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #3

New Mexico State Hwy 15 between Silver City and the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. A distance of 45 miles, 20 with the road so narrow they don't bother painting a center stripe. I was able to check my truck tail lights on dozens of the 15mph switchbacks. You don't want to attempt this drive pulling a trailer or in any RV larger than a class B.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
Its been many years ago on the part of Rd 88 just west of Roosevelt Lake and heading east .

Reason for trip:We parked at the lake and hiked back to the weavers Needle and spend 3 or so days backpack/camping.

anyway,It was a dirt/gravel road then and there was this section that seemed 1.5 car widths and on the left was a 2 or 3 ft wall and a canyon dropping STRAIGhT down. On your right the solid rock wall went straight up too . It all Made you want to drive really slow.
Curves were interesting.
Reminded me of the Narrowest road in S america,Bolivia, I think is where it is. You can see it on tv commercials where they advertise some small car here in the us.
has anyone been on this rd 88? Have they paved it or by passed it all together as a main road to the lake?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Two nominees

McKenzie pass, hwy 242 in Oregon. The road has a length limitation of 35ft total. A sceenic route perfect for an old british roadster, but several years ago was rerouted thru there due to a forest fire that closed hwy 20. Not fun driving a 32ft long 102" wide coach towing a 98 explorer.

Downtown Victoria BC, pulled off the ferry in our 07 GMC Dually pulling a Montana 35" 5th wheel. Streets are very european and semed to be designed for smart cars and honda fits
TerraTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

Steepest road

We were somewhere between Lone Pine and Bishop Ca on the 395.
Ill try and post exactly which road it was later,cause i dont recall now.
There are several short paved roads that run up the eastern side of the sierra.
They all terminate within a few short miles due to steepness / wilderness designated areas and are used by us tourists,hikers,fisherman,etc

I drove up the road towing my 4000 lb pickup.
My RV was the avtar you see on the lt. V10
Due to the elevation(over 9000ft as i recall) and all,I had to disconnect the tow to finish the last few yards to turn around. It was one of the top few steep ones Ive been on.
So..heads up should you try one of these particular roads. Especially Gas rigs. Any creekside camp sites only accomidated 20 ft or so.

I saw one guy with a pickup and small car trailer in one of the camp sites. On that trailer he had a hot tub! That was a first.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #7

Try the road to Cabo San Lucas at the Southern tip of Baja California. Avoiding 18 wheelers traveling at 60 mph is a real challenge.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Well we didn't drive a rv but last year we just happened to to drive THE ROAD TO HANA in Hawaii, and spent the day at the black sand beach. That trip was one of the funnest trips we have ever been on. The road was full of turns, turn backs blind turns on 90 deg turns and all done with two way traffic on a one lane road. Every time we drive the rv now and the trip gets bad I tell me wife ...at least we aren't in Hana

But I will do it again if I had the chance

Also ' tail of the dragon' but that's a different kind of road
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where: Kentucky. Though there was one in Utah that was kind of fun too.

Let Microsoft Streets and trips take us on a trip once (I now know how to tame it) took us down a road called Kodachrome which turns into Cottonwood canyon drive.

Now.. in places that road is only 8 feet wide

A motor home, is among the widest vehicles on the road.. it's 8 1/2 feet wide.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #10

Seems to me the road to Hana was like 618 turns or something...
This weekend and tomorrow, 2 bridges we crossed being worked on. A 102 inch tractor trailer came through with a foot all total to spare... no problem... can I let go of the wheel now.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
Well we didn't drive a rv but last year we just happened to to drive THE ROAD TO HANA in Hawaii, and spent the day at the black sand beach. That trip was one of the funnest trips we have ever been on. The road was full of turns, turn backs blind turns on 90 deg turns and all done with two way traffic on a one lane road. Every time we drive the rv now and the trip gets bad I tell me wife ...at least we aren't in Hana
Amen. They need to transport goods and supplies to Hana, HI (on Maui), but that road is a tough one for anything long or wide. This is a road that is 33 miles long (if you start at intersection of Hwy 400 and Hana Hwy) with approximately 600 curves, many of them hairpin turns, and 54 bridges.

Reminds me of driving in the UK in what they call a full sized car.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
New Mexico State Hwy 15 between Silver City and the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. A distance of 45 miles, 20 with the road so narrow they don't bother painting a center stripe. I was able to check my truck tail lights on dozens of the 15mph switchbacks. You don't want to attempt this drive pulling a trailer or in any RV larger than a class B.

Funny, two years ago I took it by mistake going to my sisters house in Gila. I got on with my 35' Class A towing and did a lot of lefts, then rights then again. Constantly looking at the GPS to see when this road will branch. Snow on the sides of the mountain. Talk about white knuckles. NEVER AGAIN!

Sorry I guess it was HWY 152 not 15, but stll p/o the Cliff Dwellings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1202091135b.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	13177  
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
M-119, Tunnel of Trees in MI.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Made the mistake last year in our 38 ft intruder with a toad behind us getting on US129 Deals Gap, Tail of the Dragon. Told DW if I ever get off this road I would never come back to the mountains again.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote