RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

The Odious... Blaaack Taaaaank

Hey Everyone...

For the moms out there...

Happy Mother's Day (early 'cuz we'll be off to Six Flags tomorrow )

Now to less amusing "stuff"...

First, I think my tanks are backwards... Black colored tank is gray water, while larger, gray tank is black water. Aside from that... The "black" water tank gets only so full, and the dang thing starts leaking at the cap... And I'm on an opposite slope ... This last time when I dumped my tanks, there was about 1.5 cups of "water" that had built up behind the cap. Guess where THAT landed

I've checked the valve several times.. It's closed and nothing blocking it... It started this last month... Want doing it before that (I've had The Lemonade Stand for 3.5 months now)...

Is this just a matter of changing the valve /gate??? And is it an issue that it appears the rerouted the plumbing for to switch the tanks?

As always... Any help is appreciated

MoonLyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Leaking valves is a common problem and they are easy to change. As for switching tanks, some RVs have the shower plumbed to the black tank. That would be a reason to have it larger than the gray.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Leaking valves is a common problem and they are easy to change. As for switching tanks, some RVs have the shower plumbed to the black tank. That would be a reason to have it larger than the gray.
Hmmm... Thanx, Lt Dan... That would actually be a nice bonus... Since the connections are at the top of the tanks, and I can't directly see them, I guess I can just run a"test " by running the shower and see which tank registers...

And cool re valve... Youtube, here I come
Old 05-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

Color of tank doesn't designate which one it is

What goes in the tank does.....
Although typically waste tanks are black and fresh water tanks are white

Possibly a previous owner 'replaced' the black waste tank and just used a white tank
Just don't drink from it

As for leaking dump valve....
Toilet Paper can get caught in groove the gate blade closes into....valve will appear closed but leaks by
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLyght View Post
Hmmm... Thanx, Lt Dan... That would actually be a nice bonus... Since the connections are at the top of the tanks, and I can't directly see them, I guess I can just run a"test " by running the shower and see which tank registers...

And cool re valve... Youtube, here I come
Yup, red and green Kool-aid works great.
Until you find time to replace the blade valve, use one of these Valterra twist-on valves to prevent the "surprise" when you remove the cap. They are sold at WalMart and most any RV supply store.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:08 AM   #6

Semi-related story. Once when dumping the tanks, I removed the cap, and a bunch of black water came out. It was almost like someone pulled a practical joke and pulled the valve, then pushed it back in.

Never happened again, but I always have a bucket on hand when removing the cap.

That was the one time my son helped me with dumping. I could never get him to help ever again.
Wishbone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #7

Wishbone51,

The normal cause of a leaking valve is from undissolved material in the solids which get trapped in the blade valve slots and fills the bottom slot enough to prevent full closure. The usual solution is to back-flush while working the valve. This procedure sometimes does not resolve the issue and the blade valve must be replaced because it has ruined the sealing gasket and/or blade valve. In your instance those solids must have been flushed away during the next time you dumped the tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used a twist-on valve once for the same problem and used it to float the debris from the main valve. I just left the main valve open and filled the tank, then left it that way overnight. The water softened and floated whatever was caught in the valve out and it has been fine ever since. I still leave the twist on valve there just in case.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Color of tank doesn't designate which one it is

What goes in the tank does.....
Although typically waste tanks are black and fresh water tanks are white

Possibly a previous owner 'replaced' the black waste tank and just used a white tank
Just don't drink from it

As for leaking dump valve....
Toilet Paper can get caught in groove the gate blade closes into....valve will appear closed but leaks by
Hey, Old Biscuit.... Thanx! I'll give that a check at next dump 'n rinse... With it being my and the two grandkids, even at the point that I dump it, takes a couple / few weeks, at least

And I promise not to get close enough to drink
Old 05-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I used a twist-on valve once for the same problem and used it to float the debris from the main valve. I just left the main valve open and filled the tank, then left it that way overnight. The water softened and floated whatever was caught in the valve out and it has been fine ever since. I still leave the twist on valve there just in case.
Hi, Keymstr... What's a twist valve??? Right now I have those valterra gate thingies where I just pull the handle and TA-DA!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Wishbone51,

The normal cause of a leaking valve is from undissolved material in the solids which get trapped in the blade valve slots and fills the bottom slot enough to prevent full closure. The usual solution is to back-flush while working the valve. This procedure sometimes does not resolve the issue and the blade valve must be replaced because it has ruined the sealing gasket and/or blade valve. In your instance those solids must have been flushed away during the next time you dumped the tank.
Hey, Ray... Back flush as in running the rinse hose up the dump hose vs down the toilet???
Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #12

This is the twist on valve that was referenced to in the clickable link in Ray's post.
If you don't have twist on connections, what are you connecting to the discharge pipe?

The back flush he is talking about is using a connection on your discharge pipe and filling back from outside.

My version of a normal back flow is after the black tank has emptied I will close the twist on gate valve and with the black tank open, I will open the gray tank and let gray water flood the black tank and then close the gray tank after about 10 seconds and as quickly as possible open the other gate valve. The only time I have used water under pressure to back flow is if I think I have a blockage and am trying to clear it.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone51 View Post
Semi-related story. Once when dumping the tanks, I removed the cap, and a bunch of black water came out. It was almost like someone pulled a practical joke and pulled the valve, then pushed it back in.

Never happened again, but I always have a bucket on hand when removing the cap.

That was the one time my son helped me with dumping. I could never get him to help ever again.
I ended up tossing my shoes and jeans in the trash And the first time I thought someone was messing with the valve, but figured twice would be too much of a coincidence
Old 05-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
This is the twist on valve that was referenced to in the clickable link in Ray's post.
If you don't have twist on connections, what are you connecting to the discharge pipe?

The back flush he is talking about is using a connection on your discharge pipe and filling back from outside.

My version of a normal back flow is after the black tank has emptied I will close the twist on gate valve and with the black tank open, I will open the gray tank and let gray water flood the black tank and then close the gray tank after about 10 seconds and as quickly as possible open the other gate valve. The only time I have used water under pressure to back flow is if I think I have a blockage and am trying to clear it.
I just have a regular cap on the end of mine... I take that off and then connect the dump house bayonet..... And it's there a connection piece that fits in to move the gray water into the black tank vs just rinsing the dump hose?