Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

The old and the new, is digital more efficient???

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450752738.352470.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	114661Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450752754.474333.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	114662
I have been considering installing a digital thermostat for sometime. I have had a Honeywell new never used that supports RV use sitting around for months in the packaging. Finally today I got around to installing the new digital thermostat in my class C Tioga. It works wonderfully. I had to get rid of the old analog. It was so inefficient it was causing my furnace to eat through 5 gallons of propane every 2 days. The new thermostat works like a dream. But is digital more energy efficient than the old analog thermostats??? That is my question. I am interested in hearing from anyone who replaced their old thermostat with digital. Is there a difference in propane consumption??? Do you use less propane now??? I still have my old thermostat saved in a shoe box if I ever need to reinstall it. Pictured above is the old and new thermostats. Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #2

Yes they are...but the heater is where the efficiency factor is as that is where heat consumed and heat generated matters.

However the digital offers greater control of the heater by responding quicker to actual set temperature rather than the contacts in a by metal strip.

The clock allows you to step down the temp at night to really chilly when you will not notice then warm it up just before yiu get up then cool back a bit.

There are also settings for dwell regarding difference between cut in so it could have longer periods between cycles and maybe longer cycles and these depend on how your system works which is better.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #3

A digital t-stat will be more efficient only because it controls operation of furnace or a/c unit better.
Instead of shutting off 3,4,5 degrees above set point or turning on 3,4,5 degrees below set point as with analog t-stat the digital will control within 1 degree of set point.
Therefore furnace or a/c doesn't run as long during each cycle of operation.

How much will it save in 'energy' costs..............couple of bucks

I'm not to concerned with the 'savings'.......I just like it shutting off/turning on when it is suppose to.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
A digital t-stat will be more efficient only because it controls operation of furnace or a/c unit better.
Instead of shutting off 3,4,5 degrees above set point or turning on 3,4,5 degrees below set point as with analog t-stat the digital will control within 1 degree of set point.

I'm not to concerned with the 'savings'.......I just like it shutting off/turning on when it is suppose to.
The smaller the range or set point the more comfortable you'll be but it's actually less efficient. The more often your furnace cycles on/off the less efficient it is. Each time the furnace goes on you burn a lot of fuel heating up the combustion chamber before you can draw any heat from the unit. You also lose some at shutdown because you can't draw all the residual heat from it after them flame is shut off.

The advantage to a digital thermostat is being able to program them. As mentioned, cooler temps while sleeping or away then step up the temp when it's time to get up or return home. You can do that manually but it's easy to forget or just not bother with it.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #5

FWIW In S&B the programmed response makes sense. In the camper we are always setting it by hand because we are not on a regular schedule of need. That negates the programming function thus no point in the digital thermostat.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #6

Agree. I installed a Hunter 42999B digital thermostat, available at Walmart for around $20, and it functions much better than the original T'stat our Trek came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I installed one of the $20 digital thermostats in a 5er we had, replacing an old analog unit. With the old one the temp would swing as much as 5 degrees. With the new digital one it stayed within 1 or 2 degrees! I was amazed!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW In S&B the programmed response makes sense. In the camper we are always setting it by hand because we are not on a regular schedule of need. That negates the programming function thus no point in the digital thermostat.
True but as mentioned they hold the temp closer to the set point so you're more comfortable.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Question:
Do these household thermostats work on 12 volts DC?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Question:
Do these household thermostats work on 12 volts DC?
ChasA
Some do some do not.
I've been using one of these to control my Suberban SF-42F propane furnace since '08.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...56PCWYAB6GNKXV
Mel
'96 Safari