Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
SargeW,

Great job with the install. Sure appreciate all your input. The description and pictures are great.

Mike

lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #16
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Really a nice looking install. Regretfully my MY2000 motor home has the TV in the dash. The current TV has a 20" screen. Haven't figured out yet how to install an HDTV. May just go with a converter box for now.

The bedroom TV may be easier to replace with a small HDTV. Sigh.....:-(

SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luckymick:
Sarge,

Talk about TIMING! We left on 3/19 for Randsburg to do some riding. Going up I15 to Devore the Sony 72# brick was jump'n. Even my wife said: "ok, when you puting an LCD up there!?"

We have the 36' version of the Journey (Itasca Meridian). I'm sure I'll have some questions when I get started. A few quick ones:
1. the wood (Cherry border). Once I take off the back plastic does it just slide out?

There are two screws in each side cabinet that are also holding the facia on. Those should come out last as after they are removed, the facia may drop. If you have the center sun visor under the TV, it also needs to come off as the 4 screws holing it up keep the plastic shroud from coming off.
2. What mount did you purchase from Home Depot? Do you have a sku/part #?

Not that I could find, but they only had two kinds. One that was stationary, and one that tilted. I used the stationary one.

3. Unplugging the tube-tv: was that passenger or driver side cabinet?

Passenger side cabinet. In my rig there is a padded panel that needs to come off on the top half of the pass side cabinet. Even though the TV plugged in on the lower half, there is a plastic groummet that the plug has to go through to get to it. It's easy to remove.

4. Noticed that you have the tv 'float'. Can you see behind it or is the rear shroud cut off enough light to hide the wires/gaps?

The shroud cuts off most of the light. The mounting board I used eliminated most of the rest of the light. I also painted the top and bottom few inches of the board black to keep it from being visible if any light from the front of the TV area were to reflect in the 1" air space. No wires or cords can be seen from the front.

I too am in so CA, near Laguna. Thanks for posting Sarge! Can't wait until you tear in to the bedroom!

That may be soon!! Good luck Mike.

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #18

Sarge, your instructions are great! Checked mine out this past weekend, relative to locating screws, etc.

Thanks for the details, and congrats on a great job!

P.S. I think your choice of LCD TV was spot on as well. Checked Consumer Reports, and sure enough, they rate the Panasonic very high.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #19

Thanks Don, I've only got to play with it in the driveway so far. We have been up to our armpits in alligators trying to get the house ready for sale and putting it on the market.

We are getting out this weekend for a few days while the realator does an open house.

SRT: I was just at Sams Club today and saw a 20" LCD HDTV for about $350. It sounds like that would be ideal for your dash replacement. I may use that same one for my bedroom change out. I think the TV was made by Vizio.

Sarge

Old 04-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

SRT: I was just at Sams Club today and saw a 20" LCD HDTV for about $350. It sounds like that would be ideal for your dash replacement. I may use that same one for my bedroom change out. I think the TV was made by Vizio.

Sarge </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vizio is a great TV, bought a 48" for the house, I am very happy with it.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #21

Sarge.....Thanks for all the great tips. I just posted yesterday that I must get to this new TV install. I may try to copy your install from start to finish if thats ok. I have the bedroom planned out, now you have helped with the front. Thanks again.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #22

Go for it Becks! I think you will be really satisfied with the results!! Post a few pics when you are done.

Sarge

Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Sarge,

Looks Great! I've been studying ours for several months, trying to figure out how to get a 32" in there. I've come to the conclusion that it's like trying to get 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lbs bag. Just isn't going to make it! Your install look great, with no cabinet mod needed. How does the picture size compare to the old one?
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #24

Sarge,
Read your post about the LCD upgrade with particular interest since I was in the middle of upgradeing ours also.
Your finished job looks factory and must be very satisfying to know you did it yourself.
I went with a 32 inch Sony Bravia but had to do considerable routing of the interior cabinets to get it to fit. My inside dimensions were only 30 inches. Got lucky in that the Sony Bravia S3000 model 32 inch screen is only 31 inches dead even wide. This gave me just enough wood on the outside dimensions that allowed me to route it out from the inside. Have the top and bottom trim pieces being made right now in a cabinet shop to finish it off.
Appreciated reading what and how you did yours. Thanks for posting it.
Letsgoagain
Old 04-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #25

I wonder how many thousands of RV'ers would like to get this done, but don't have the skill/confidence to do the job. I believe someone over the next 2-3 years could make a fortune just replacing tube TV's with LCD's in RV's

I probably could do it, but my wife has said NO, get someone else to do it. LOL. I don't think she trust me.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #26

Tom,
That's one of the interesting parts. I measured tape to tape before making the decision to go with the 26" TV. The screen was 1" shorter than the Sony, but 3" wider! And the picture quality was no comparison.

I considered like Letsgoagain about putting in the 32" model. I too also considered doing the major make over of the cabinets. Then while seriously considering it, I decided after taping off the screen sizes that it wasn't worth it to me at this point in time.

Ben,
That was the beauty of installing the 26" in the existing opening. The swap was so effortless once I figured out the mounting steps that it could really be done in a very short period of time with no special tools or skills for that matter. All that was really needed was a wood saw to cut the board to length, a drill motor with a decent bit to drill into the steel frame rails and set the screws, and a hack saw to cut the braces (if you even wanted to do that part). Thats it, no special tools required. I bet you could do it!

Sarge

Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #27

Sarge, i have been looking at your install with great interest. Nice job and a very clear description of the work involved.

I am wondering about you mount you purchased. It appears stationary and not a swing. I have been thinking of the access to change connections.

So what is involved in getting behind you new TV in case you want to change connections?

Bob

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #28

Hi Bob,

Yes it is the stationary mount from Home Depot. They had another one that articulated, but I didn't need that feature. As for accessing the back it would just require dropping the bottom plastic shroud that is attached to the facia. About 6 -7 screws on the bottom of the shroud, and 2 screws inside each side cabinet. Oh, and take off the screws that hold on the visor under the shroud, if you have one. It would take about 3 minutes. Then because of the slim line design of the LCD TV, there is tons of room to reach in and switch or add cables. I used a hand mirror to verify the accuracy of my connections after I mounted the TV. Pretty simple stuff.

Sarge