Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #141

They are illegal in certain areas (like where I live) but I can drive 20 miles away and get them where they're not illegal. I think what they were proposing is that all fireworks should be illegal, except for professional fireworks shows so that there wouldn't be fireworks stands open anywhere.

Not saying I agree, but I think thats what they were saying.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #142

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is finding a way to have fun, be safe, and not limit our freedoms too much. In Oregon they decided to allow fireworks, but not allow fireworks that fly (of course professional displays are allowed). This includes all mortars, bottle rockets, airplanes, etc.

The rationale behind this is that even though the person shooting the flying fireworks are safe and prudent, the flight of the firework cannot be controlled by the user. I have seen many, and shot many, fireworks where the flier went 20 feet up and took a turn into the trees or bushes, under cars, over the fence, etc. Now it is the shooters responsibility to chase down that errant firework and make sure it is out. How many do that, or try too, and cannot because the area is fenced, or even out of sight?

For the last 20 years or so we have blown up $200 plus worth of fireworks in our driveway, then walked several blocks to watch professional aerial fireworks. This has allowed us to be safe and have a fun 4th of July.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #143

I always have fun shooting off bottle rockets & roman candles where we boondock in the middle of BFE, at midnight on new years eve. Wouldn't be the same without them, but then again it wouldn't be the same if I were missing fingers. lol
Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #144

Vintage RV Owners Club
I love fireworks, the brighter the better. Too bad that the biggest use day has to fall in the driest time of the year...

Those darn Founding Fathers!

Why couldn't they have gotten their act together and Cast Off The Bonds of British Tyranny on, say, the Fourth of MARCH????? It's still good and wet out then, if not actually snowcovered in much of the Country. And talk about a month that needs a little brightening up after a long dreary winter....

But, no-o-o-o-o...they just kept on talking and talking until along about the third of July, 1776, when it got too darn hot to stay inside Ye Olde Meetin' Room anymore. So they just threw in the towel and Declared Independence the next day, never considering the consequences of their actions in terms of the tons of gunpowder to be expended each year in honor of the occasion.

Sheesh!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
The problem is finding a way to have fun, be safe, and not limit our freedoms too much. In Oregon they decided to allow fireworks, but not allow fireworks that fly (of course professional displays are allowed). This includes all mortars, bottle rockets, airplanes, etc.

The rationale behind this is that even though the person shooting the flying fireworks are safe and prudent, the flight of the firework cannot be controlled by the user. I have seen many, and shot many, fireworks where the flier went 20 feet up and took a turn into the trees or bushes, under cars, over the fence, etc. Now it is the shooters responsibility to chase down that errant firework and make sure it is out. How many do that, or try too, and cannot because the area is fenced, or even out of sight?
Kinda like the one that lit my MH AC vent on fire... and it wasn't even one that flew.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #146

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost
It just dawned on me when I read the title of this thread. There has been a lot of talk about passing laws about fireworks, but the original title indicates that the fireworks were already illegal. My question would be, given a situation in which an activity is already illegal, what effect would passing new laws to make them even more illegal have?
The effect my good man is we get even more politicians and less money due to tax increase for said new politicians and their new updated laws.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #147

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
It just dawned on me when I read the title of this thread. There has been a lot of talk about passing laws about fireworks, but the original title indicates that the fireworks were already illegal. My question would be, given a situation in which an activity is already illegal, what effect would passing new laws to make them even more illegal have?
Yes in some areas they are illegal. Here in Michigan they WERE illegal but this year, for the first time in a very long time, they were made legal.

Hospitals had 3 times the business they normally expect on that day. That is a 300% increase in fireworks related injuries, not to mention the fires and such.

Thus many, feel they should re-instate the law they just repealed.. I'm not arguing, just presenting facts. Albit, facts that support makeing them illegal.

Because some folks will respect the law.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #148

Having worked as an RN, I worked most everywhere in the hospital except a burn unit. The pain from the burns is horrible, the treatments are very painful, and the risk of infection is great with second and third degree burns. I think there should be the same kind of graphic advertisements, such a those produced by the CDC about the dangers of cigarette smoking, showing the real consequences of having extensive burns. It does come down to personal responsibility, and many think it won't happen to them, and it does. I think fire works should be left to those that handle them professionally.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #149

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Yes in some areas they are illegal. Here in Michigan they WERE illegal but this year, for the first time in a very long time, they were made legal.

Hospitals had 3 times the business they normally expect on that day. That is a 300% increase in fireworks related injuries, not to mention the fires and such.

Thus many, feel they should re-instate the law they just repealed.. I'm not arguing, just presenting facts. Albit, facts that support makeing them illegal.

Because some folks will respect the law.
Whats the normal number? 1? So 3 people were hurt? Percentages mean squat w/o numbers..
Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
The truth is we have a lot of stupid and selfishh people in this country and protecting yourself from their stupid acts is not simple or easy! They think that they can do what ever they want anytime to anyone and it's to damn bad if you don't like it as they have a right to act badly !!!!

I take issue with that and anyone who defends their right to act in a harmful way towards others or even towards themselves. Why because the innocent end up paying not the perpetrator. In most cases they don't own a damn thing worth spit! So suing them in court would be a waste of time and a lot of money that you or I would have to pay to bring the lawsuit, the perp would just laugh at you and call you lots of names and there isn't anything you can do about it! Been there got the T-shirt!

If they hurt themselves they go to the emergency room get treated just like you or I but never pay the bill and seeing as they don't give a damn and don't have any assets you and I pay for it with either higher premiums on our insurance or our taxes or both!

Prohibiting certain acts or instruments that cause harm by laws is a rational way to handle the problems. Enforcing these laws such as drunk driving laws has reduced drunk driving as in some cases the law breakers are now serving time in jail and are not on the road. Prosecuting those that serve drunks has also cut down on the drunk driving which makes the roads safer for all of us. With a lot of pressure from social groups like MADD laws have been enforced made stronger and got drunks off the road.

Basically we don't have the right to do stupid things that harm others and some idiots cannot be talked out of doing stupid things some do respond to the fear of punishment or the lack of access to dangerous items as they are sometimes also lazy. The rest have to be restrained by laws or the rest of us will suffer the consequences.

As usual YMMV, and this is my 2cents worth.
Very well said...
Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some areas are getting far too crowded to have the safe use of fireworks. The city of Houston banns fire works, but the county is wide open. last year Harris county banned them due to the drought and we enjoyed a nice quiet and safe 4th. This year it sounded like a war zone.

In a densely populated are, there is little space to have some one enjoy their fireworks with out effecting neighbors safety or sanity. Another big issue is the idiots that blow hundreds of $$$ up in smoke, do not bother to clean up their mess.

I grew up with fireworks, but we only got to shoot them when out in the country and only when it was not too dry. In town all we got were sparklers and maybe come cracker balls. People do not have any common sense or courtesy toward others today.

Ken
Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Here in Harris County, Texas (as Ken said, a heavily populated area), a certain ethnic group has a tradition of celebrating holidays by discharging firearms into the air. As one might expect (and hope!), this is highly illegal, but there always seem to be a few cases of individuals doing it and injuring or killing innocent citizens every few years.

So, is outlawing this practice an infringement on their Second Amendment rights? How would banning fireworks in heavily populated areas differ from this when they also have a potential of causing damage to others' persons or property?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #153

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I go back to the original post. Damage was caused by an illegal use of fireworks, so in other words, making their use illegal will not get rid of the problems caused by fireworks. I suggest, as others have, that making people responsible for their actions would have better success. As Rusty points out, some folks like to celebrate with gunfire. Again, this is illegal already (and not an infringement on the Second Amendment), but that does not deter them. I believe that if the perpetrators had to pay a heavier penalty it would be more apt to curtail the practice.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
As Rusty points out, some folks like to celebrate with gunfire. Again, this is illegal already (and not an infringement on the Second Amendment), but that does not deter them.
I'm sure that it deters many, just as DUI laws keep many individuals from risking driving after drinking. Just because a law doesn't totally eliminate a behavior (think murder, for instance) doesn't mean that the law is invalid.

Quote:
I suggest, as others have, that making people responsible for their actions would have better success..... I believe that if the perpetrators had to pay a heavier penalty it would be more apt to curtail the practice.
The problem is, how does one as an individual identify the responsible individual who put a .45 round through the top of your daughter's skull from 6 blocks away, or dropped hot debris from a skyrocket on your garage roof or truck sitting in the driveway? OK in theory, but not very practical in practice.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Closed Thread