Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If you hold a lit firecracker in your hand and it goes off. Oh well...
Oh well?

There's more to it......

We all end up paying for the dumb fool's medical bills with higher premiums, or higher hospital bills if the moron has no health Ins.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
People do not have any common sense or courtesy toward others today."
Ken
Amen...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'm sure that it deters many, just as DUI laws keep many individuals from risking driving after drinking. Just because a law doesn't totally eliminate a behavior (think murder, for instance) doesn't mean that the law is invalid.

The problem is, how does one as an individual identify the responsible individual who put a .45 round through the top of your daughter's skull from 6 blocks away, or dropped hot debris from a skyrocket on your garage roof or truck sitting in the driveway? OK in theory, but not very practical in practice.

Rusty
Like anything having a law, it will be broken by someone. Your second point is valid. The problem is that there is no way to monitor all of the lawbreaking irresponsible individuals. Which again points back to COMMON SENSE or the lack of.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #158

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
If you refer back to my post #112 in this thread, I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
[...]people [should][...]:

a) have the liberty to ruin their own health if they want to, and
b) have the freedom to deal with the consequences as they see fit, and
c) accept the responsibility to do so without burdening others.

[...]
'c' is what is missing. The 'personal responsibility' aspect. People want to have the freedoms and liberties this country grants them, but do not want to accept the responsibility for their decisions if they go bad.

I decide I want a gang tattoo on my neck and facial piercings, then later find I can't get a decent job. The government should bail me out, right? No? The government should ban tattoos, right? No?

I decide I want drop out of school and join a rock band, then later find I can't support my family. The government should bail me out, right? No? The government should force education, right? No?

I decide I don't want to carry health insurance, then need a heart transplant. Government should bail me out, right? No? The government should force everyone to carry health insurance, right? No?

The vast majority people find themselves in a situation that was determined by the sum of the choices THEY made in their life. Our great country guarantees that WE get to make choices for ourselves. 'Freedom' means we get to reap the rewards OR suffer the consequences of those choices. Too often we try to privatize the rewards when decisions play our way, but socialize the consequences when they go wrong.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personal Responsibility....

This is where we are going astray. Lawyers have taught us (watch the late night TV ads) that we are not responsible for anything as long as we can blame someone else. The solution is to sue them because you are not responsible for your own stupidity. Yes in some cases, a law suit is required...but again this is often the other side having no personal responsibility.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #160

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Personal Responsibility....

This is where we are going astray. Lawyers have taught us (watch the late night TV ads) that we are not responsible for anything as long as we can blame someone else. The solution is to sue them because you are not responsible for your own stupidity. Yes in some cases, a law suit is required...but again this is often the other side having no personal responsibility.

Ken

Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #161

Cool

Everyone has the right to petition for another law that address's new "CONCERNS", the problem comes with the cost and loss of freedoms that are associated with each new law that is passed.
Be careful what you wish for, throughout history there are examples in fables, Aesop's, Canterbury Tales, Mother-goose, or others where the asked for was always overstated by the government, and as a direct result we loose another chink in our "Freedom Armory".
Illegal is just that "illegal", when some one or group wants to do an illegal act, no law has ever stopped them. Do not expect policing powers to prevent, they can only react, and they sometimes do not even react after the fact.
Prevention is and always has been found in EDUCATION, and a private feeling of self-worth, if one follows that one does not want to appear as a "jackass" or otherwise foolish person one acts appropriately, and generally follow reasonable rules of public good, but if we pass rules that are foolish, those of us that still have free will, and know how to use it will resist.
Government handouts create slaves that are beholding to the government, and feed government growth, which takes taxpayers to provide. Taxpayers from private enterprise provide for the common good, taxpayers from government employees are still a cost to the taxpayers at large.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #162

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Guess the 'make laws for everything' crowd has never heard of the term ' overcriminalization'.. You should look it up..

[Moderator edit - flame removed]
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #163

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
Like anything having a law, it will be broken by someone. Your second point is valid. The problem is that there is no way to monitor all of the lawbreaking irresponsible individuals. Which again points back to COMMON SENSE or the lack of.
Oh but they are trying... A brief google about public 'police' cameras will open your eyes..
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #164

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwp1944 View Post
Government handouts create slaves that are beholding to the government, and feed government growth, which takes taxpayers to provide. Taxpayers from private enterprise provide for the common good, taxpayers from government employees are still a cost to the taxpayers at large.
A total non sequitur that has nothing to do with the topic of legalization of fireworks.

Rusty
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #165

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
I go back to the original post. Damage was caused by an illegal use of fireworks, so in other words, making their use illegal will not get rid of the problems caused by fireworks. I suggest, as others have, that making people responsible for their actions would have better success. As Rusty points out, some folks like to celebrate with gunfire. Again, this is illegal already (and not an infringement on the Second Amendment), but that does not deter them. I believe that if the perpetrators had to pay a heavier penalty it would be more apt to curtail the practice.
Careful, lest you be told you have a non-superior intelligence and grasp of the situation..
Old 07-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #166

"Personal Responsibility....

Ken"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

I also agree...
Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Oh but they are trying... A brief google about public 'police' cameras will open your eyes..
If law agencies need a few cameras to help uphold the law, so be it.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #168

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Sorry, have to answer this one.
Politicians, priests (every mass), lawyers, actors and the bunch, dignitaries.... oh, I see your point.... lol

Thankfully discussions like this are allowed due to the service of our armed forces... thank you folks.
You got that last bit back.. There are a few priests who drink to excess but I've yet to meet one. As for the rest of the folks on that list.. Well, I've met some that do.

Recent comic stip was about a fictional senator falling off the bar stool. (SHOE: Senator Belfry, as in "Bats in the")

I personally, do not drink alcohol, but this is a matter of taste, I simply do not care for it. I have no problem with those who have AN occasional drink, even a DAILY drink, but those who drink to excess... Should be put where they won't hurt anyone.

Smokers... Again, if you want to kill yourself, I have no complaint.. If you blow smoke in MY fact, Big complaint.

And, as it happens, most of the anti-smoking laws have to do with smoke blowing in MY face (or some other non smoker's face).

That is the problem with Smokers and Drinkers and a few others.. They don't just kill themselves. They take others along for the ride.

There are some "personal" exceptions (Special condition of parole, May not consume Alcohol....) but most of the anti-alcohol laws are also based on this same concept. If you get plastered, in the privacy of your own home and it does not hurt, or threaten anyone else.. No harm, no foul. but the minute you get behind a 2,000 pound plus -wheel bullet and pull the trigger (Start your car or truck).. BIG FOUL.

Did I tell of the guy, on parole with the aforementioned special condition, (in addition to others like no operation of a motor vehicle without Parole Agent permission) who got in his truck drove to work got paid, cashed it in a bar (Being in a bar violated his parole too) got drunk got back in the truck and killed a young lady who was about to marry the police officer (off duty) he put in the critical ward of the hospital. He is doing 20-life on Murder 2, but hey, that's one guy. And for once they used the proper law to convict him.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I was Drunk" he said at trial.