Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
The right tire pressure - WOW!

I finally got around to weighing my coach last weekend and set my tires to the proper pressure. Previous to that, I set them at 105 psi, knowing that based on GVW plus a little more, I would not be under-inflated. Well I looked at the Michelin chart and was able to drop my pressures down to 95 lbs.

It doesn't sound like much but the difference was remarkable. My coach tracks straighter and most of the harshness over expansion joints has gone away. I am amazed at how much difference that 10 lbs made. If I had known, I would have made it a top priority. If you haven't done it yet, I highly recommend it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Community Administrator

It's a top priority for sure. Thanks for reminding those that didn't know.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It should be Top Priority with everyone!

Running tires over-inflated has it drawbacks, maybe not as severe as running tires under-inflated but the best and most economical method is to corner weigh if possible and set your tire pressures accordingly. I always add 5 lb's for just for kicks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Another convert to doing things the right way.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #6

Did you weigh per axle or per wheel(pair).
And can you give the values and the specifications of tires here.
Then I can put them in my made motorhome tire pressure calculator to see what the outcome would be then.

I need those weights ( wheel or axle) and configuration of the vehicle like number of axles and tires per axle.

From tires maximum load and pressure needed for that ( maximum load xxxx lbs AT yyy psi( cold)) at minimum , but rather also sises and speedcode or maximum speed of tire ( probably N= up to 140 km/87m/h).

Yust so that I can get a better picture of my determined bumping border.
ofcource I will make a picture of the filled in spreadsheet to share here.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club

I weighed it twice, once properly on the scales and again with the right side tires off the pad. One thing that I do need to take care if is that the cross weights are off by a good margin, even though the side to side is with-in 300 lbs. Have to figure out how to do a ride height adjustment on the left front (or right rear).
Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Larry,

What are you referring to when you say the cross weights are off?

Also, ride height is a standard value for each coach model. I don't think it has anything to do with weight but has everything to do with height.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #9

I'll weigh in on proper corner weights. We were at the escapees park in Bushnell, FL, and got the four-corner deed done (early April). I was pleased to note that we were well within out rated weights, and the tires were not overloaded. I did not change anything, because it was all safe on weights and pressures.

Later this spring, I got tired of feeling the expansions joints banging us around and got out the weight/pressure charts. My fronts were good, but the rear tires were about ten psi high. I dropped them to 85 psi, per the charts, and as Larry experienced, the ride is inordinately better. I will echo that: WOW!

I'm too lazy to start an original thread, but I'll respond to this one. Thanks, Larry.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Larry,

What are you referring to when you say the cross weights are off?

Also, ride height is a standard value for each coach model. I don't think it has anything to do with weight but has everything to do with height.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Richard, what I mean by cross weights is the difference between the left front plus the right rear vs the right front plus the left rear. Cross weights are more important than having specific ride heights. If you have a diagonal imbalance , it is just like having a chair with one short leg, and like the chair, your coach will teter-toter.

I have 40 years of race car suspension "engineering" and modification experience and from what I am seeing, these beasts are no different, just heavier. The side to side imbalance may be less noticeable on a big old truck chassis than in a stiffly sprung Porsche, but the effects are still the same. In my experience, you should get a median ride height for the front and back, and then adjust a specific corner up or down to get the cross weights right and the ride height close.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
I understand that on a DP, the drive shaft is affected by incorrect ride height. Just something else to consider when adjusting away from the manufacturer settings.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
So about 4 days ago, I had new Michelins installed .. $'s.., yes I used the FMCA discount! total cost for 6 x 275/70/22.5 was $3648.. all charges including taxes, balance, installs, etc.. So, really not so bad. I filled up with fuel and water before the install and had the coach weighed. Not individual wheels, but each axle. When I showed the Michelin pressure recommendation to the tire guys they kinda were like.. well we inflate them to app. 10 psi below max and allow for temp/pressure expansion... yada, yada. They would have done as I asked, but ... so, they inflated to 120 psi (tires called for max of 130psi). I assumed I can always lower the pressure easier than increasing it! Michelin calls for 90 psi on the fronts and 85 on the duals. I drove it home about 30 miles .. plan to lower it as per Michelin recommendation before taking it on any trip.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two Newbie Questions:

- How does someone get their coach weighed?
- Once I get the coach axles and individual wheels weighed, how do I know exactly what tire pressure to use for each wheel?
Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
For those using Michelin's inflation chart, the following instructions seem especially important, emphasizing as they do the importance of knowing the weight of each axle end before determining air setting for the tires on that axle.

Here quoting from this Michelin load/inflation page

Quote:
-The loads indicated represent the total weight of an axle end in an RV application.

-When one axle end weighs more than the other, use the heaviest of the two end weights to determine the unique tire pressure for all tires on the axle.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure