Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good afternoon all. As Julia and I spend more time in our new Dolphin we continue to keep a list of things that National RV will fix. Somethings I can wait for, others I cannot. One that I can't wait for is the odor in the coach we get while the shower is running. We can smell what smells like a black water odor while the shower is running. Within a few minutes of stopping the shower, the odor seems to go away. If anyone could point me in a direction of a cure it would be greatly appriciated.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good afternoon all. As Julia and I spend more time in our new Dolphin we continue to keep a list of things that National RV will fix. Somethings I can wait for, others I cannot. One that I can't wait for is the odor in the coach we get while the shower is running. We can smell what smells like a black water odor while the shower is running. Within a few minutes of stopping the shower, the odor seems to go away. If anyone could point me in a direction of a cure it would be greatly appriciated.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #3

Are you running an exhaust fan while in the shower? If you are be sure and open a window for proper ventilation.

Happy Trails! Jim

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited
Our Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Maybe it's coming from the hot water, can you smell the same odor when running hot water in the kitchen?

If that's not it maybe the plumbing drain vent (through the roof) is restricted or has come loose.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the quick responses.
No fan above the shower to run. I guess I have to spend more to get one in our next rig. There is a vent open all the time above the vanity however, a few feet away from the shower and I do have a nice sky light that looks to have beem leaking above the shower, (on my list of things to fix). The odor seems to come from the oposite side the coach.

I went up on the roof to explore the vent idea. Can't seem to find anything worng up there either.

I'll try running hot water in the kitchen tonight
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be sure that the trap for the washer/dryer has water in it if it is prep for one. I think that your vent pipe is also not going all the way through the roof and is allowing gases to come inside coach. Look under sink for a vacccumm breaker type vent. If you find it you may want to experiment by tyeing a plastic bag around it to seal it off and then take a shower to see if that eliminates the odor. Good luck.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:56 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, what great advise. Something I've noticed in the past and again this morning was how long it takes to empty the gray water tank. I'm now thinking that venting is the problem and I will check all those things when I get home tonight. I'm also trying to figure out a water leak that I have in the water compartment outside. To eliminate the possiility of a gray water leak, I tossed a blue pouch of exodor in the gray water tank. The water that is leaking is not blue. I have to do a little surgery to remove a few panels to get to the plumbing. That project will have to wait a few weeks.
Thursday Evening we drive (the X3) back to AZ, I leave Julia there and I fly back to CA on Sunday. The following thursday I fly back to AZ and drive back to CA with Julia on Sunday the 3rd. The following Friday we dive up to Sacramento to one more business expo and back to the coach on Saturday night. I'll play plumber guy on Sunday the 10th.
Thanks so far for all the great suggestions.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:15 AM   #8

We can smell what smells like a black water odor while the shower is running. Within a few minutes of stopping the shower, the odor seems to go away.

If air is not being sucked in from anywhere then the odor has to come from the water.

While the shower is running the water is going down the drain blocking ordor from comming up.

If your water is being pumped from the fresh water tank then the odor is from stale, rotten water.

If you are hooked to city water it should not come from their.

If your shower water is BROWN then someone crossed the black with the grey water and your dish water is what your using. OH YUK.

How does your drinking water taste?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Problem smell: I think what happened was I had the roof vent in the head open far enough to allow order from the gray water tank vent to finds its way in to the coach. I closed the vent a little and the problem has gone away. I also put a pouch of exodor in the gray water tank to help the smell go away.
No, the fresh water did not smell or taste funny.
My project when I return to CA on Sunday is to find my water leak. I know it's not a black or gray tank. I turned off the outside water before we left on Thursday to see if it was a leak from the city side of the plumbing or the freash water tank. I'll know more on sunday.
I have in hand a huge cresent wrench to adjust the lounge slide, also when I return back to Cal. Just about have the rig be-bugged and rattles well under control.
Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:18 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Rick, from time to time we got the same odor, we added our regular sewer treatment (Odorlos) to the gray tank through the bath sink, problem solved. I now try to treat the gray tank every other draining.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Odor updates.
Now that I have the vent in the head open only about an inch, odors are gone. I tossed in an exodor pouch and that helped to clean up the tank. Still wonder why it takes so long to empty the tank though.
I found the water leak. It's coming from a connection for the city water hook up. I'm going to remove a few plastic panels in an attempt to solve the problem. I spoke to the service manager at the dealer today. He spoke of the same problem with an other Dolphin they recently sold nd pointed me to the right place to fix it.
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.