Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #1

Thermostat question...

Hey Everyone... Couldn't find anything to fit mine, so thought I'd ask...

I have a duo - therm 65900 furnace, and an Old White - Rodger thermostat... It's not good Doesn't register correct temp, and sometimes I have smack it to wake up (and that's outside of the issue of furnace only blowing cold air these daze)...

There is no air or fan connected to it... Just the heat. It's the old "slide the switch over" style, which I'm fine with vs upgrading to digital. Question is (bet you know what it is already )... Can I just switch it out for a regular, slide it over thermostat, ie Honeywell ct334? Without having to fanagle anything re wires???

I've been digging around the site, and internet, but keep pulling up posts only for mods re digital (usually for a Hunter), but I just want something simple and basic The one I'm looking at says it's 750mV (not sure what that means re electrical dunce ), and I've also seen reference to it being "low voltage"... How does this equate to working or not working???
MoonLyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:00 AM   #2

I have two Surburban furnaces, but think they are the same as the Dometic Duo-Therm units in that they use two wire 12 VDC thermostats. I replaced my old thermostats with LuxPro 2 wire heat only digital thermostats several years ago. Got them from Amazon for around $15 each. They hold the temperatures within two degrees, which is much better than the old units that ran four degrees too hot, then three degrees too cold and fluctuated all the time.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #3

The easiest solution is probably a digital Hunter or Honeywell thermostat that is powered by a pair of AA batteries. The issue with many other traditional residential style thermostat is that they expect to be powered by 24V AC power from a transformer, either that or the so called millivolt systems introduced in the 1980's which operate on less than 1 volt , not the 5, 8, or 12VDC found in RV climate control systems
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #4

X2 for the Hunter thermostat. I bought one for around $25 and replaced our old sliding version. Much better temperature control, and a way to install a High - Low speed switch for the fan. PM me with your email address and I can send installation instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The easiest solution is probably a digital Hunter or Honeywell thermostat that is powered by a pair of AA batteries. The issue with many other traditional residential style thermostat is that they expect to be powered by 24V AC power from a transformer, either that or the so called millivolt systems introduced in the 1980's which operate on less than 1 volt , not the 5, 8, or 12VDC found in RV climate control systems
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonpharme View Post
I have two Surburban furnaces, but think they are the same as the Dometic Duo-Therm units in that they use two wire 12 VDC thermostats. I replaced my old thermostats with LuxPro 2 wire heat only digital thermostats several years ago. Got them from Amazon for around $15 each. They hold the temperatures within two degrees, which is much better than the old units that ran four degrees too hot, then three degrees too cold and fluctuated all the time.
Cool! Thanx
Old 02-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
X2 for the Hunter thermostat. I bought one for around $25 and replaced our old sliding version. Much better temperature control, and a way to install a High - Low speed switch for the fan. PM me with your email address and I can send installation instructions.
There's no fan set up... Does thus make a difference?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #7

I don't think so. My original thermostat controlled a one speed fan in the A/C or furnace. The two speed fan switch was a modification I made with instructions from someone who posted on a different forum about the Hunter thermostat.

Also, the Hunter thermostat is battery powered so this must be occasionally replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLyght View Post
There's no fan set up... Does thus make a difference?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

When they are talking milivolts generally they are talking about a thermostat that is used on a heater that is switching a system that has a thermocouple or a pilot generator in the circuit it is ok to use this type of stat.Rather then use another analog thermostat that is several degrees out of wack I would go with the digital thermostat. It is as simple to use as the analog one you are currently using. What ever brand you select just be sure it isn’t a set back type and it must be powered by 2 aa battery’s not a 24 volt transformer the battery’s will last years.A heat only or heat cool will work ok it requires connecting only the 2 wires you now have. You can find them on e bay new for around $10 or double that in wall mart or Home Depot.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:43 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have installed the Honeywells in several 5th wheels for myself and others. I did the programmable one on our stationary 5th wheel. It is great for those cold mornings! $35.00 at Home Depot
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat