Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #1

Smile Things I wish I did FIRST when my jacks and slides didn't work

This forum was helpful to me even though the posting that helped me was 8 years old. My 99 Itasca Sunflyer 35U jacks and slides weren't working so I did the things suggested, hitting pump with hammer, checking fuses, checking hydraulic fluid levels, cleaning terminals on all connections (BTW, I broke both solenoids while getting the nuts off them) etc.

After fixing my issue, here is what I wish I had done before doing anything else: 1. When both jacks and slides didn't work, I should have checked for power to the pump motor since it is common to both slides and levelers. If the pump motor is getting power when the switches are engaged, then you know the switches, fuses, connections and grounds are all good to that point. Two ways to check the power at the pump. A. you need a multimeter that is attached to the pump + terminal and to a good ground. Make sure parking brake is engaged then have someone engage the switches. If you are getting 12-14ish volts to the multimeter, then that means you are getting power to the pump and everything above that is working. B. Since I was by myself and didn't have a way to engage the switches while under the coach, near the pump...I bought trailer wiring and 4 alligator clips(can always use extra wiring). I then was able to connect to the + pump terminal and a ground, then run the wiring to the meter placed near the switches for the slide and levelers. Now I could see what the meter was reading while engaging the switches. Once I knew I had power to the pump motor, I checked that the motor had a good ground and was clean where it grounds to the chassis. Once I knew I had power to the pump motor and a good ground, I knew the pump motor was the issue. The motor is easy to take off. Only two bolts hold it on.

2nd thing I wish I'd done sooner...I called around and got quotes for a pump motor based on the number on the motor (08053). I had to wait a day of so for some of them to call me back. The RV stores and even an online RV parts store all wanted $220-250 for the motor and wait time was 2 days to 1 week. Went on Amazon and found the same pump for $70-95. I bought the $95 since it had 2 day shipping(also bought the solenoids on Amazon too). Be aware that pump motor might come with different size mounting bolts, but when I looked at my pump block, it had two sets of holes that were different sizes. Sure enough, it had the size my new motor bolts fit.

So, my issue was my pump motor. I replaced it for $95, 2 days after it dawned upon me to check the power to the pump motor(and replacing the solenoids I had broken) and now everything works. Now, all is good.
scmadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. Hope I never need it, but it is nice to know where to look.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you or the update

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With age comes wisdom. You are a much wiser man now...
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Thanks for the info. I'm sure that will help someone else with the same problem! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I once did something similar. Shortly after buying my coach, one slide wouldn't come in and one of my slide panels gave a fault code as inoperative motor #2. After replacing the motor and getting the same code, I realized the fix was as simple as reprogramming the slide control. My slide control throws a fault anytime I try to bring it in while the voltage is less than 12.7 volts. Live and learn. My motor was under warranty so the only thing it cost me was some scraped knuckles.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide