Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #1

Things you had to have but never use

What things did you think you really needed in your RV but found out later you never use or needed them? For example, a driver's side door or an oven.

As I see things and dream about my first RV, I am curious if there are common things that we think we need but really don't.

Thanks for helping this beginner.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
An oven is definitely one for us. We were insisting on an oven but found our awesome used coach which only has a convection microwave. Have never ever missed the oven but love the extra cabinet storage NOT having it affords. And honestly, we never really even use the convection all that often. Microwave and portable Coleman grill 99% of the time!
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
For us, it's the TV in the bedroom. Never use it.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oh man, we use our tv in the bedroom nightly and our oven almost as much! So happy to have an oven... and a tv... now if I could just figure out how to get some netflix without paying too much...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Washing machine: It's easier for us to do one large load at a Laundromat than three small ones in the MH. And preserves our water supply. Converted washer cabinet to a coat closet. The space is a lot more practical for us as a closet than it ever was as a washing machine cubby. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

Slider hitch. 4 years now and never used it. Awning lights. Used em a little at first, now all 3 sets are in the storage hole somewhere, unused for 2 years.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Oh man, we use our tv in the bedroom nightly and our oven almost as much! So happy to have an oven... and a tv... now if I could just figure out how to get some netflix without paying too much...
Us too. My wife is a genius in the kitchen. Loves to cook and bake. If only she could light the oven herself. Lol. And we love the bedroom TV also. Watch Frazier, Seinfeld, or Raymond DVDs to go to sleep.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #8

We didn't have to have the front TV in our current and previous rigs - they were there when we bought them. They are totally redundant when you have a nearby large mid-coach TV. Why these are fitted is beyond me. Our front TV is unplugged because, being the same Sony brand, it would sometimes spring into life when the other TV is turned on.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Us too. My wife is a genius in the kitchen. Loves to cook and bake. If only she could light the oven herself. Lol. And we love the bedroom TV also. Watch Frazier, Seinfeld, or Raymond DVDs to go to sleep.
LOL, I too, am the official oven lighter

too funny,

Oh and we are washing some clothes right now, but we too have gone the laundry mat route when needed.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:28 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
As full-timers, we love to have every basic thing that comes in an rv (tv and oven included). RV ovens are just the right size to cook a chicken in if you want one. We did cook a small turkey (~15lbs) for Thanksgiving, but it took 6-7 hours...I'll do chicken or ham next year lol.

Honestly, the one thing I could do without is the microwave, and may pull it for storage space. I home-cook all of our meals, and the most I ever use it for is to melt butter.

The one thing I COULD us more of, is storage space. Our current trailer only has one outside access storage, and that is not even usable right now. (supposed to be located under the bed, but the last owner took out the bed and put in a generic home-style bed/frame). Gonna have to remedy that...
Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
We didn't have to have the front TV in our current and previous rigs - they were there when we bought them. They are totally redundant when you have a nearby large mid-coach TV. Why these are fitted is beyond me. Our front TV is unplugged because, being the same Sony brand, it would sometimes spring into life when the other TV is turned on.
X2 - Don't understand why most motorhomes have the TV up front even though there's a larger one close by that is in a better location for viewing. I've hit my head on the TV more times then I've turned it on!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:54 AM   #12

I would say the washer and the oven in our previous RV, washer a waste and the oven because it was so difficult to light. In our present RV , something that I thought would be the cats meow was the 42" outside TV. Wow an outside TV to watch on those long evenings. We have watched it a total of two times in the two years we have had the coach. First time we were chased after a few minutes by mosquitoes, the second time it was too hot to sit out and watch it . Oh well maybe it will be a good selling point when we decide to sell the RV .... Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 AM   #13

The stereo system in the bedroom. Can't afford a expert to program it, or even set the clock. What the heck!, I don't need the clock anyway, retired you know. Now all I have to figure out is how to get that "huge" blue lite on the face of the stereo I never use to shut off. Just kidding, it helps when I make my hourly trips to the potty.
senior-cit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
When we were starting to look at RVs Thom kept asking me if I wanted an oven or washer and I said "Nope". This one has no oven and I have never missed it even thou I cook and bake from scratch pretty much everything, this is our home and we try to eat healthy. He wanted to make sure it did have the washer/dryer thou and after 2 years we ended up taking it out and now use it for storage of the other bathroom stuff. Now we are looking at maybe upgrading to a newer and slightly bigger one with slides and again the oven and washer/dryer is not on the list.