Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I added an inverter to my MH this summer. I put in 2 lead-acid 6v batteries to replace the 12v. I bought a Wagan TSW 1500w inverter from Home Depot.com when it was on sale for about half price (I paid about $320) The inverter was mounted near the batteries with 4ga wire. When I want to use it for my Keurig or to watch TV, I plug the MH into the inverter. First however, I put the frig on gas only and turn off the circuit breaker for the converter/charger. I also unplug the microwave so its display doesn't draw any power. Now all of the 110v outlets work. I made a heavy duty extension cord that is more or less permanently mounted to run between the shore cord and the inverter. Now when I say I did this or that, I really mean my two knowledgeable friends did the work. I helped with holding tools and telling jokes. The Keurig coffeemaker is only on briefly. The inverter has a built-in voltmeter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I forgot to mention that I have an Iota 45w converter charger. I was able to upgrade it to a smart charger by buying an Iota IQ4. The IQ4 plugs into older converters by Iota with a wire that has a phone jack. The newer Iota's have the smart charger built in. The IQ4 has a single green LED that flashes or runs steadily to tell you which of the four stages the charger is in. I don't think the OP needs to change his converter/charger. He should contact the manufacturer's website to get info or call customer service to ask questions. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
I picked up a small portable 500 watt inverter to use on our upcoming trip just to power a tv/dvd so we'll see how my pd6160 does at keeping us juiced and then go from there. If I don't need to replace the charger, then that opens up some other possibilities for inverters.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
We are camped in Bodega Bay, Ca for the night, it looks like my batteries are indeed toast. Tomorrow we will go to Santa Rosa and pick up a pair of t-105's. The lifelines are 7 years old and who knows how they have been treated but they do not seem to be able to hold a charge and I am away from home will be for a couple more weeks so don't have a way to try and recover them. We'll get two now and then maybe two more later when we get home after seeing how our needs go.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Back home now after postponing our trip, my wife sprained her ankle and it's no fun at the beach unless you can walk on it. We will try again when she heals. In the meantime, we have a new pair of Trojan T105's and I ordered a magnum mm-ae1512 inverter. I think I have the dc side sorted out. The inverter will live in the compartment next to the batteries which are hanging in open air space on a bracket welded to the frame rail and under the steps. There is room for a couple more but the bracket will need to be remade to support the extra weight. Something for the future. For now, I just want a little AC for the tv's and coffee pot and to be able to better charge my batteries. Planning to use 2/0 wire for the dc with a 200 amp class T fuse. What I am not sure of is the AC wire. Is romex ok for RV use or is there something special. The worst thing about this RV design electrically is that the AC shore power comes in at the rear and that is where the AC transfer switch, DC & AC breaker boxes are located. The batteries are in the front half of the coach so there will be a lot of AC wire running back and forth since I want to use the inverter built in transfer switch for the three circuits it will power. All three of these circuits originate in the breaker box back there so the front tv AC wire would run from the box to the inverter, back to the sub box and then all the way to the front again, potentially about 80' in length.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
No special wire, 14 ga romex would be fine. If the inverter were 2000w, you would use 12 ga from the inverter back to the AC panel, which wouldn't hurt anyway.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #49

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
No special wire, 14 ga romex would be fine. If the inverter were 2000w, you would use 12 ga from the inverter back to the AC panel, which wouldn't hurt anyway.
I believe that 2000 watt inverters typically are protected by 30A breakers because most modern inverters can deliver surge power in excess of their steady state ratings. My inverter is wired with 10 guage romex and a 30 A breaker.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, scarcely a day and a half ago, I ordered my magnum inverter. I expected to wait a week or so as I thought for some reason it was shipping from Canada. It just arrived from a nearby distribution point in Sacramento. Now I gotta get busy and figure out a plan. Gotta find some DC wire somewhere local, I already have a large roll of 12/2 + ground romex. I need a 200 amp fuse with holder, a small sub panel breaker box and some mounting hardware. Wish me luck and I'm sure to have many more questions in the coming days/weeks.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #51

Try a welding shop. They can make cables to whoever length you want and have pretty large gauge wire.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Try a welding shop. They can make cables to whoever length you want and have pretty large gauge wire.
I did this on a previous inverter install. I ran 4/0 from alternator to isolator to thee different battery banks and then to the inverter. I upgraded the system from the factory installed 2 gauge. I bought the cable from a welding supply store near Marconi Ave in Sacramento by Keyston Bros. I spent about $200 on approximately 50 feet of cable (I think, its been a while). Either way it was WAY cheaper then buying automotive cable.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Spinner, I will do that. Also I would like to find a nice tidy AC distribution box or breaker box at a reasonable price and one that is a similar style to the one in my RV. I only need room for 3 maybe 4 breakers.

Is it common the put the sub panel in the basement next to the inverter? The AC distribution will have one wire going to the rear of the rv, one going to the front and one just above the inverter location so it make sense to keep the box right there though it will be in the basement, unless that is a problem.

Wow Winnebeater, 50', that's a lot of dc wire. Thanks for the welding supply idea, I'll check around.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Is there a problem with using a residential breaker box as a sub panel as long as the neutral and ground buss are isolated?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #55

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
Is there a problem with using a residential breaker box as a sub panel as long as the neutral and ground buss are isolated?
That's exactly how my new Magnum is wired. My old Xantrex had a built-in subpanel which was always a pain because I had to crawl into the basement to reach the breakers. I installed the Magnum MS2812 with a subpanel that I conveniently located where I can reach in and reset a breaker, if needed.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm ready to have my DC wires made up. It seems like I have read to keep the pos & neg wire approximately the same length but now I cannot find that reference. Is there any need to do that or can I just have them each made to fit?

Tags
install, inverter