Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes I do have a remote, but I'm not sure how that can help the current problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
Yes I do have a remote, but I'm not sure how that can help the current problem.
Some Inverter/Chargers require that the unit be switched OFF before installing the plug to/from the remote. It is then turned ON from the remote. Might be something to look at.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Everything was turned off when I installed the remote, in fact nothing even had power connected when I installed the remote. The remote in this case is just the MM-RC25, just inverter on/off and status of invert/charge and fault. Note that while I measure 11.8 volts at the AC output, there is no fault showing just a green flashing invert indicator.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, problem solved!
Thanks to docj and loulong for bumping me in the right direction. It turns out the initial power up and checkout procedure is incorrect or at least misleading.
Step 1 measure battery voltage for correct range 10.5-14volts And make sure all AC loads are removed.
Step 2 is to connect dc power to the inverter which gives you a momentary blip on the green light.
Step 3 turn on the inverter, you get a flashing green light.
Step 4 measure AC voltage at wall plug. This is where it goes awry, with no loads attached the inverter is in search mode and not supplying 120v. I measure 11.8v so I did not go any further.
This morning after my coffee and reading the above posts, I started reading about the remote and the different inverter modes. This is where I found the blinking light means it is in search mode looking for a load. I took my coffee pot (cheaper test load than the TV) out and plugged it in. When I turned the inverter on this time it went to search and then to invert and I measure 120v!!!
Next I plugged into shore power and after the inverter verified that was good it passed it along to the output and started charging the battery. First in bulk mode, then absorption since the batteries we already nearly full.
Charge voltages seemed a little high until I remembered that I installed the temperature sensor and it's nicely cool this morning. I'll check in an hour or so and it should be in float mode.
I look forward now to a quiet cupa joe in the morning and some tv in the evening. Maybe this coming week!!
Thanks guys for the encouragement and help.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Charge voltages seemed a little high until I remembered that I installed the temperature sensor and it's nicely cool this morning. I'll check in an hour or so and it should be in float mode.
Don't be surprised if it takes a little longer (maybe a lot longer) to get to float mode than you thought. It will eventually get there, and when it does you'll be pleased with your battery's performance. Glad it all worked out.

BTW - A lot of us defeat the search mode so the inverter will continue to produce 120vac for extremely light loads, such as TV and radio presets, clocks, etc. Just be aware that this is an option if you need it.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #76

Quote:
Ok, problem solved!
Thanks guys for the encouragement and help.
John
!
Glad to see all is working.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter