Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Thinking of purchasing Rig: Questions

I have some questions and concerns about a rig for sale. Its 2009 Itasca Suncruiser with only 3360 miles on it. The issue I have is that is hasn't been used in 3 years. It has an old plate on it from another state. We have to drive 8 hours to see it. So what issues can you think of that we really need to investigate.... Owner states it was never wrecked or flooded. Just too expensive for him but he is offering it for sale at 87,000.

Can someone offer some things to be on the lookout. Seems like a good deal but I wonder if I am missing something.

Thanks
LeftyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

First off, the price is too high, ask what the pay off is or find out from their bank if its a private seller. Tires are more then likley original would have to be replaced. Look under it to tell how it was parked, if it was in dirt/grass, things will be a tad rusty! I'll bet in MOHO this could be a REPO RV, Just because it has low miles doesn't mean its a great deal. Last thing, check the roof REAL GOOD!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LeftyRN,
NADA says between $75-92K as the range for low retail. This is without knowing the details of the specific model Suncruiser. You or a professional inspector need to check out:
1. All coach systems
2. all automotive systems

The following will, most likely need to be done:
1. tires
2. coach batteries
3. chassis battery(s)
4. roof resealing
5. all automotive fluids (engine/generator oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, engine/generator coolant, rear end fluid, wheel bearings, etc.)
6. all automotive filters (engine/generator oil filter, fuel filters, etc.)
7. Add to this whatever the inspector or you find during the inspection.

I have found lack of use, not abuse is the tragedy of many motor coaches.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Itasca is equivalant to Chevy in that Chevy and GM are sisters as are Itasca and Winnebago. However, Suncruiser is a product line and you can make some assumptions of what may be standard vice option or N/A. We need to know the next piece of data in order to help you. E.g. 37F, 35B.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would check the radiator real well. Mine was garaged but the garage floor was dirt. I have to replace the radiator. That'sgoing to cost about $2000.00
Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Great advice so far.... thanks. It is a ford 35P that we are interested in learning more about. We owned a 2002 Adventurer that we recently sold... now we are sorry we sold it!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyRN View Post
Great advice so far.... thanks. It is a ford 35P that we are interested in learning more about. We owned a 2002 Adventurer that we recently sold... now we are sorry we sold it!
check for mouse and other rodent damage, especially to wiring. check for mold and mildew.
talk to some dealers in their area about trade in value for the same year and model. dealers will not pay anywhere near nada prices.
if everything checks out good, imho about 50k would be the dealers offer and it should be yours too (cash of course). dealers will rarely offer cash.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaKara72 View Post
I would check the radiator real well. Mine was garaged but the garage floor was dirt. I have to replace the radiator. That'sgoing to cost about $2000.00
Sorry, but I just have to ask....what does the dirt floor have to do with needing to replace a radiator? Thanks,
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
I wonder what it means that it was not used for three years. Did it sit there without even being started for three years, or was it maintained and/or exercised at all during that time? Three years is a long time for any engine to just sit there. They are made to be run, not sit idle. The oil and other fluids break down over time, not just miles. The same with hoses, and engine parts. Depending on the conditions, over that amount of time, an engine could even be frozen up.

Was it left outside or in a building, and especially during the winter months? Was it winterized before being stored or did it have water in any of the holding tanks?

As others have said, you should have all the systems checked out, including a pressure test on the holding tanks and pluming to see if any pipes are broken, burst and/or leaking.

I agree that the price is too high, but you need to get the VIN and run a VIN check. You need to get the specifics and pull NADA value, etc. If you come up with a fair price, then you need to take off another $5K or more simply to have some money to fix it up. Check out the cost of a set of tires, a complete tune up on the automotive and other systems.

If the owner will deal with you in regard to the price, then you should pay someone that is an RV professional to fully check it out to be sure you are not overlooking something.

You may have found a gem in the rough.

Good luck!
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi LeftyRN,
NADA says between $75-92K as the range for low retail. This is without knowing the details of the specific model Suncruiser. You or a professional inspector need to check out:
1. All coach systems
2. all automotive systems

The following will, most likely need to be done:
1. tires
2. coach batteries
3. chassis battery(s)
4. roof resealing
5. all automotive fluids (engine/generator oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, engine/generator coolant, rear end fluid, wheel bearings, etc.)
6. all automotive filters (engine/generator oil filter, fuel filters, etc.)
7. Add to this whatever the inspector or you find during the inspection.

I have found lack of use, not abuse is the tragedy of many motor coaches.
Excellent advice!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

NADA wholesale is anywhere from 70K to 85K depending on what model you have.
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Just noticed that you referred to a Ford 35P in another post. In that case, the NADA wholesale is $77140 according the most current edition of May-August 2013.
Hope this helps
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #13

rv sitting for long time stay away
if this rv is in or was used near ocean the salt air eats at everthing

anyways look for another one
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #14

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback.. Excellent advice. I tend to agree. I beleive this was purchased at an auction to flip. It was purchased in one state and moved to another. The owner does not use it as he has a trailer and truck that he uses... We are rethinking and now focusing on downsizing to a used Phoenix Cruiser but they are few and far between and this just may not happen at all. We should have kept the one we had but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do.. Again thanks for all the excellent advice..I knew I can always count on this forum!