Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Thinking of upgrading, narrow driveway..

The DW and I are thinking of upgrading from our short 23' class A to a 32' Southwind. My problem is that my driveway is only 12' wide, with a fence bordering it. I'm worried about parking it from the narrow 34' street. The fence starts at about 3 feet from the curb. I have to pull in straight and back out, otherwise the entry door is blocked by the fence. Is this a doable situation, or do I need to stay closer to a 30' coach?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You have five feet to play with. With a spotter and a lot of jockeying, you should be able to get the 32 footer maneuvered to get into and out of that 12 foot slot. Hopefully, you have 12 feet or very close to that available with the gates open. Have fun!

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #3

I have a 36' coach and 12' driveway, no fence, but I can get in and out with all tires on the driveway. My coach is longer than the street is wide. When I back out, or enter, the rear tires are backed against the far curb with all the overhang over the neighbors yard, no obstructions are in the way. I think it would depend on other obstructions.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #4

This gives me hope for for upgrading! Now to find the right coach. Thank you guys!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about putting a removable section or gate in the fence where the door would be?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #6

The fence is between my neighbor and I.. with a 3 foot drop on the other side... I like your train of thought though
Old 09-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #7

Have you tried, or would you attempt to back it in off the street? The door would then be on the easy access side of the coach. The fence would also be on the drivers side and easy to watch as you back in.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
How about finding storage for it? I store mine at a boat dealer's lot...50' x 20', covered, locked with power. $150 a month...worth every penny, out of the rain, snow, sleet, sun, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Packed it tight!

We seem to have similar situations. I upgraded from a 29' Class C to my Southwind 32VS (actual measurement closer to 33').

I use my driveway and the curb (with wood blocks) to swing the coach around and line it up to back it into it's spot on the side of the house. My challenge is that I have to not only maneuver around the corner of the house, but dodge an Edison electrical box, not to mention not hitting the fence.

It's taken some practice, and a couple of good spotters but I'm starting to get more comfortable with it. If I had any advice it would be this:

Communication is key, make sure you and your spotter clearly understand what you mean with any hand gestures.

Use walkie-talkies, or cell phones. You could put your cell phones on speaker so you don't have to try and drive one handed.

Take your time! There's no rush, and no prize for trying to get parked quickly.

Just for fun, here are couple of photo's of me getting my Southwind parked in a practice session:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beast 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	138681

Name:	Beast 25.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	138683

Name:	Beast 3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	138682

Name:	Beast 5.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	138684
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #10

Here's my situation, I hope the pics show it... kf6ybl, that's the coach I'm looking at. Any problems I should look for in specific? Thank you guys for all of your input. I love this place!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1241.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	139353Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1240.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	139354
Old 09-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
A picture is worth a thousand words. Have you considered using blocks for a portion of the curb and backing over a section of the lawn to get positioned on the paved driveway? That is if the lawn will adequately support the weight of the coach. If using some of the lawn is OK, you have a lot more room to work with. I once sunk a travel trailer in up to the rims attempting to drive over a water soaked grassy area so stability of the unpaved area is critical.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #12

FleetMan, that is definitely an option that I am considering. Thank you
Old 09-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #13

It looks like you have a fairly wide street, but the idea of BACKING in sounds like a better plan for a longer coach. Drive past your driveway, and your neighbors fence, until the rear wheels just pass the fence side of your driveway, then make a HARD turn as you backup - SLOWLY. Your rear wheels will determine where your coach is positioned as you back the turn, and your rear overhang will be well within your property before the front of the coach gets anywhere close to the other side of the street...

Even though your door may be on the fence side, as you finish backing in, turn the front slightly toward the house, leaving the coach slightly 'askew', and leaving you several feet access between the coach door and the fence.

You will appreciate backing in even more when you get ready to leave for your next trip. It's SO much easier driving straight out when starting your journey, than having the chore of backing be the FIRST thing you have to deal with!

I always say, especially to my wife, that backing a vehicle after you've had some recent seat time is much easier than trying to do it to start your day.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Both of my driveways are gated, and the street is narrow. But with practice DW knows exactly how to direct me in and out. Just take your time and you'll get it done!