Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I bought this product at Wal-mart before going on this last trip. I hate washing my coach and anything to make it easier is great.

I washed my toad and motorhome while here in Key West. Both vehicles were parked so that one side was in sunlight and one in shade. Followed the directions to the letter.

Product seemed to work OK while in the shade but, definitely does not work in the Sun. (still not satisfactory in the shade) The streaking actually made the coach look worse. The soap has a wax in it that is sticky. I suppose this is to help w/the anti-spotting.

Anyway, will use it in the shade in the future when the coach is not that bad but, this is no substitute for doing it the old fashioned way. I will be getting a Swobbit, good quality car wash soap and some microfiber towels.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I bought this product at Wal-mart before going on this last trip. I hate washing my coach and anything to make it easier is great.

I washed my toad and motorhome while here in Key West. Both vehicles were parked so that one side was in sunlight and one in shade. Followed the directions to the letter.

Product seemed to work OK while in the shade but, definitely does not work in the Sun. (still not satisfactory in the shade) The streaking actually made the coach look worse. The soap has a wax in it that is sticky. I suppose this is to help w/the anti-spotting.

Anyway, will use it in the shade in the future when the coach is not that bad but, this is no substitute for doing it the old fashioned way. I will be getting a Swobbit, good quality car wash soap and some microfiber towels.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #3

I have not washed my MH for 4 years using a soap product as most soaps remove wax.A wash with straight water removes most dirt since there is always some wax under the dirt. I have used a C/W product-Gel Gloss Cleaner and Wax.It is also somewhat tolerant of use in the sun.It's a lot more work than a soap wash but when finished,I have a nice wax job to resist further soiling.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I had excellent results using the Mr. Clean spot free rinse, but did NOT use the Mr. Clean soap.

I used a regular car wash soap and the Swobbit, rinsing with plain water, then rinsing with the spot free rinse.

It was quite spot free.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #5

I use my Mr. Clean system just as Dirk does. I use a swobbit wash head and Turtle Wax car wash soap. Rinse off with plain water and then do a final rinse with the Mr. Clean deionized water. I don't use the Mr. Clean soap.

Works great for me. No spots or streaks.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a bit altitudinally challenged and really have to stretch to get the rinse to the top as it is a fine mist.

I know Dirk is tall but, do others use a ladder to rinse? Also, how big of a section do you do at a time?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dirk,
Which Swobitt do you use? I bought the Mr Clean and it worked well on the car but was not very practical on the MH. I do the same thing as you do and use the Mr Clean for the final rinse to reduce water spots and it works fine.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm a bit altitudinally challenged and really have to stretch to get the rinse to the top as it is a fine mist.

I know Dirk is tall but, do others use a ladder to rinse? Also, how big of a section do you do at a time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think 6' is tall, but getting the spot free rinse to hit the top of the coach was only difficult when the breeze picked up, as I did it all from ground level.

I was in the shade and was able to wash and rinse an entire side before moving on.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don (Pusherman), put me onto the Swobbit, and I got it at CAMPING WORLD.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #10

Scott, I too have a little problem getting the fine mist up towards the top of the coach when doing the final rinse.

One improvement for the Mr. Clean product would be to have a short wand for washing those tall coaches!

I do about a 6' wide section at a time for the final rinse.

I love my Swobbit, by the way..
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #11

I use car wash soap with no detergent in it. But the quality of the wash, streaks and spots, depends on the quality of the water. If the water is "sweet" anything seems to work washing the motorhome, but if the water has a high mineral content it will streak and spot no matter what I use.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #12

I have been using Mr Clean on my cars and pickup for several years. My house water is 50% on the "hardness" scale. I have excellent results with this product. I am not going to try use it on the motor home though. The internal filter is good for about 10 "car" washes and my MH is about 4 cars in surface area. If I am washing is full sun, I keep re-wetting the whole car as I wash the top, sides, hood, etc.. When I am completely finished washing, I use the filtered water to rinse off the tap water. I start on the roof and work my way to the ground. Keeping the whole car wet until I am finished seems to do the trick.

Cheers!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norm Payne:
I use car wash soap with no detergent in it. But the quality of the wash, streaks and spots, depends on the quality of the water. If the water is "sweet" anything seems to work washing the motorhome, but if the water has a high mineral content it will streak and spot no matter what I use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why the deionized rinse works so well. Takes out all the minerals.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 AM   #14
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using the Mr Clean with mixed results. It works very well with a fresh filter, but, It goes down hill from there. It gets less effective well before the indicator turns brown. I've also noticed what appears to be a left over film on the windows.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote