Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tiffin & Newmar say no more Microfiber products

Has anyone else heard that Microfiber towels and mitts are bad for the newer finishes?
Apparently the polyester that is used to make microfiber is harder than the clear coat finishes and it causes microscopic scratches which will eventually lead to oxidation.

Both Tiffin & Newmare recommend Lambs wool from the company "Marry Moppins"

This is a shock to me (just bought several new mitts).
Are others on this forum in agreement??
Just about every car care company mainly sells microfiber products..

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you should follow Manufacturer's advice...

Old 10-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

Micro fibre

I do not understand why they are against this product.
Been using it on laptop screens, flat screen tv's for years as I found it was the miracle cloth that did not mark them. Never noticed any problems whatsoever. My pride and joy car has been washed with microfibre washmit for years and paint still looks like new. I just found a sheepskin/lambswool wash pad for our coach and used it for the first time. Will be interesting to see if there is any difference. I bet there is not one dealer that uses sheepskin/lambs wool.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

I am still a fan of old cotton bath towels and/or the imitation shammies. The automotive forums have lots of negative comments about paint & Microfiber towels.
IMO -The best use of Microfiber towels is cleaning glass.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
I am still a fan of old cotton bath towels and/or the imitation shammies. The automotive forums have lots of negative comments about paint & Microfiber towels.
IMO -The best use of Microfiber towels is cleaning glass.
X2

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I build and refinish guitars as a hobby and shoot both nitrocellulose lacquer and polyurethane clear coats. I have found that microfiber does leave microscopic scratches in a finish. The absolute best polishing cloth I have found is a 100% cotton t-shirt, the really thin material works the best.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #7

Dan, Even though Newmar recommended a lambs wool mitt I was washing my new MH with a microfiber wash mitt as that was what I have used on all my cars and they come out scratch/swirl free. I started to notice I was getting alot of swirl marks that would only show in the direct bright sunlight or under certain nightime lighting conditions. When I bought the MH you could not see any of these swirls.

When I took the MH in for some service I talked to the professional detailer who was at the lot getting a MH ready for delivery. He looked at my MH as he was the one who originally detailed mine. He asked if I was using a microfiber mitt, and I told him I was. He said to only use a lambs wool mitt as the microfiber ones actually take the wax off while washing which leaves the swirls. He said this was not a huge problem as all I had to do was wax the MH with a pure Carnuba wax(no cleaners). I have since waxed the MH and washed it using a lambs wool mitt, and no longer get or haver any swirl marks. I used the Meguires liquid carnuba wax, which went on/off real easy, but it still took me a combined total of 16 hours to do over several days.

So in my opinion and experience so far using the lambs wool mitt is the best way to go, and your MH will always look nice and shinny with no swirl marks when done.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
What do you use to put on and polish the wax? Don't they recommend microfiber?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
After over zealous use of microfiber in removing bug residue from my invisible bra, I decided to use the microfiber less and cotton more. Not much damage done, but lesson learned. Lambs wool sound like a good alternative also.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #10

According to the detailer the microfiber only takes the wax of while washing it with soap/water. He did recommend using the small round pad usually supplied with the wax to put it on and microfiber to rub the wax off as it actually helps even out the wax over the pre-existing finish, swirls ect. All I know is I followed his instructions and I have a nice shiny smooth swirl free finish. After washing it with the lambs wool I do not get the swirls and fine scratches anymore, you will really see a difference.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #11

There's nothing like a good old beat up cotton t-shirt that you don't wear anymore. I have two classic cars, and that's what I've always used.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
There's nothing like a good old beat up cotton t-shirt that you don't wear anymore. I have two classic cars, and that's what I've always used.
Now that's funny, using 2 classic cars to wash your MH.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #13

I am currently in Tupelo and was visiting with neighbor the other day when in Jackson and he told me the reason Tiffin told him not to use micro fiber on his new Allegro had to do with the type of paint they are now using. He asked me if I had any issues on my paint with swirling and I told him no, but mine is a 2007.

Don't really know anything about paint, but evidently there is a new type paint being used and micro fiber will scratch the full body paint. At least according to the owner I was visiting with......
Old 10-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #14

Microfiber and artificial lambswool will absolutely scratch the clear coat on your motorhome.
I just took delivery of a new motorhome a few months ago and I told the dealer to make sure that did not use a brush or microfiber when they washed the motorhome for delivery. They assured me that they don't use brushes and that they use special wash lambs wool wash pads.

When they delivered the motorhome it had wash scratch's all over it. They used artificial lambswool wash pads which was one of the worst things to use.

Fast forward, it just cost the dealer over $1,600 to have my motorhome professionally buffed, polished and waxed to remove the scratches from the clear coat.

100% real lambswool products are the only ones that will not scratch the clear coat on your motorhome. Mary Moppins is probably the best.

Tags
newmar, tiffin