Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #29

Depending on your location I believe Newmar has better factory support. They are both great units and I was sold on the Phaeton myself until I drove one. The Dutch Star is a good product with a good company behind it.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #30

deblennick - The key is what you and your husband think and not what we think. I did think the post by the guy that has owned both Tiffin and Newmar was worth paying attention to as he has owned both.

When we bought the coach that we currently drive I bought the RVCG information on the models I was narrowing my choice down to. There are big differences in brands and models when the length changes. The RV Consumer Group information makes it easy to see these differences and the cost is minor. I also looked very closely to see how well organized the wiring was, quality of the cabinets, do the doors on the basement storage line up, did the floor plan work for what we wanted to do, and then most importantly is how well it drove.

I have friends that own both the models you are looking at. I think the Dutch Star is a bit more expensive than the Phaeton so it should have higher quality amenities. And keep in mind that all large motorhomes are made in small quantities and quality control can vary a lot more than on iPhones or Hondas.

Final word. We have some friends with a very new Phaeton. To me it is very "inside" feeling. I don't like that. I prefer "outside" feeling as is our Country Coach. Well placed and big windows make a big difference. To me. And make sure access to the basement storage is good. Getting to storage compartments below slides can be a big problem. Make sure the coach you buy is easy to get into the basement.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You can always change things in the DutchStar like flooring, furniture, etc to cater to your likes. The things you can't change are the "bones" .....which are better in the Newmar than the Tiffin.

Have you had a paid professional RV inspector give a report? This is similar to having a home inspection done before buying real estate.

If one coach comes up with hidden serious issues, you can choose the other one.
We already have one on standby. Now it seems that Camping World is back peddling on their original price on the Tiffin. May end up with the Newmar after all!
dlennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #32
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsr View Post
The Phaeton has been and still is the number one selling mid-level class A coach. The interior fit and finish is superior to Newmar. Cabinets are all hardwood no press or particle board. Tiffin also has more storage than Newmar. Phaeton 42 foot models have a tag axle and drive every bit as good as Newmar and don't require steering assistance. So don't make your decision based on the Newmar salesman in this thread. Pick the coach that meet your needs.
Cabinets in the DS are hardwood not particle board. Comfort Drive is more than power assist.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #33

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
My wife and I are doing the same comparison, we are looking at the Dutch Star 4018 and the Allegro Bus those two as Don said that are more comparable than the Phaeton.
We were looking for 2014 or newer Dutch Star, but the ones for sale seem to be more than we wanted to pay when compared to a new one we could order the way we like.

We are waiting to see what both companies do for their 2018 models. After looking at the both at the Tampa show we walked away more confused. We where convinced that we wanted the 4018 but after looking at them at Tampa we we're not sure any more.

First the Dutch Star. We did not like the layout of the half bath because of the electric toilet. The toilet is bigger than a gravity toilet which makes them hinge it on the right so it opens to block the sink. That was not much of a deal breaker, but when we looked at a Ventana with a similar layout the door hinged on the left and you could use the bathroom with the door open because the ventana had a gravity toilet which is smaller and fit more in the corner and didn't get in the way of the door. We also are concerned with the black tank, we plan on doing a lot of boondocking and the electric toilets fills the tank quicker. There have been some on the forum that gave us some tips to help extend it out a few days. But if the half bath had a gravity toilet that would have solved that problem. I spoke with Newmar and it can not be changed.
Another thing that we did not expect was how uncomfortable we found the furniture. We are both light weights, she is 5'1" @105# and I'm only 145# so we found the sofa on the firm side the recliner was OK. We didn't talk to Newmar to see if they had other options.
The other thing my wife had a problem with was the driving position, yes she is planning on being an active driver. With the peddles moved as close to the driver as possible my wife had to have the seat so close to the steering column that it was hard for her to move her leg pass it. We think this is because of the comfort drive system. The steering column is very big, I think they had to move the gas/brake peddles to the right compare to other coaches. I think we could make a little platform to resolve this but haven't tried it yet.

As for the Allegro Bus we liked the floor plan of the 40AP which we didn't think we would. The storage is fantastic and does look homey. But it doesn't have a tag which we liked in a 40' . I consider Bob Tiffin as a negative, all I hear is if you have a problem call Bob. Bob will get it fixed, when you are getting the run around everyone says call Bob. What happens when Bob retires or is no longer able to be as active in the company.
I do think Newmar wall construction it far superior. I have friends that have Tiffin and love them and have nothing bad to say.

We keep going back and forth between the two, both will have problems and I think both companies will stand behind their products. We are not sure which one we want more. Since we are not retiring until next year we have some time to look and compare a little more.

Good luck on your decision.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblennick View Post
We are looking for some advice as we have finally narrowed down our (very long) search to two coaches. It's between a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH or a 2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018. And of course, I prefer one, and my husband prefers the other. We need some advice since this will be our first DP.....and neither of us wants to spend the next 10 years hearing "I told you so!". Thank you!
I bought my Newmar from a friend of mine who purchased a 41' 2012 Tiffin Phaeton. He has the rear radiator and my Spartan has the side radiator. We were on a road trip and he needed some engine service work. Stopped at two places and neither would work on the rear radiator chassis.

Long story short, he sure wishes he had his Newmar back!! Go with the Newmar.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
I bought my Newmar from a friend of mine who purchased a 41' 2012 Tiffin Phaeton. He has the rear radiator and my Spartan has the side radiator. We were on a road trip and he needed some engine service work. Stopped at two places and neither would work on the rear radiator chassis.

Long story short, he sure wishes he had his Newmar back!! Go with the Newmar.
Well, we just bought the Newmar! Thank you!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
My wife and I are doing the same comparison, we are looking at the Dutch Star 4018 and the Allegro Bus those two as Don said that are more comparable than the Phaeton.
We were looking for 2014 or newer Dutch Star, but the ones for sale seem to be more than we wanted to pay when compared to a new one we could order the way we like.

We are waiting to see what both companies do for their 2018 models. After looking at the both at the Tampa show we walked away more confused. We where convinced that we wanted the 4018 but after looking at them at Tampa we we're not sure any more.

First the Dutch Star. We did not like the layout of the half bath because of the electric toilet. The toilet is bigger than a gravity toilet which makes them hinge it on the right so it opens to block the sink. That was not much of a deal breaker, but when we looked at a Ventana with a similar layout the door hinged on the left and you could use the bathroom with the door open because the ventana had a gravity toilet which is smaller and fit more in the corner and didn't get in the way of the door. We also are concerned with the black tank, we plan on doing a lot of boondocking and the electric toilets fills the tank quicker. There have been some on the forum that gave us some tips to help extend it out a few days. But if the half bath had a gravity toilet that would have solved that problem. I spoke with Newmar and it can not be changed.
Another thing that we did not expect was how uncomfortable we found the furniture. We are both light weights, she is 5'1" @105# and I'm only 145# so we found the sofa on the firm side the recliner was OK. We didn't talk to Newmar to see if they had other options.
The other thing my wife had a problem with was the driving position, yes she is planning on being an active driver. With the peddles moved as close to the driver as possible my wife had to have the seat so close to the steering column that it was hard for her to move her leg pass it. We think this is because of the comfort drive system. The steering column is very big, I think they had to move the gas/brake peddles to the right compare to other coaches. I think we could make a little platform to resolve this but haven't tried it yet.

As for the Allegro Bus we liked the floor plan of the 40AP which we didn't think we would. The storage is fantastic and does look homey. But it doesn't have a tag which we liked in a 40' . I consider Bob Tiffin as a negative, all I hear is if you have a problem call Bob. Bob will get it fixed, when you are getting the run around everyone says call Bob. What happens when Bob retires or is no longer able to be as active in the company.
I do think Newmar wall construction it far superior. I have friends that have Tiffin and love them and have nothing bad to say.

We keep going back and forth between the two, both will have problems and I think both companies will stand behind their products. We are not sure which one we want more. Since we are not retiring until next year we have some time to look and compare a little more.

Good luck on your decision.
Well, we ended up buying the Newmar. Drives like a dream! Good luck on your search!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #37
dms

Congratulations!!! You made the right choice as evidenced by all the replies you got (except one Tiffin lover). Newmar exceeds Tiffin in every way albeit price but you get what you pay for. Newmar wins hands down on Fit, Finish, materials, workmanship, service, ride, suspension and more. The Phaeton is the best selling rig only because of the price point, as Bob Tiffin has learned how to put lipstick on a pig very well.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #38

Congrats, happy motoring.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #39

We bought a 1999 Dutch Star in 2003. It had 29,000 miles on it and had been gently used. We have Full-Timed in it since mid-2004. We have driven to Alaska and back, all over the south and West. We love it!!

We have had very few problems with it, none of which appeared to be the cause of NEWMAR. We toured the plant in 2004 and were greatly impressed with the care taken during construction.

In 2016 we replaced the air conditioners simply because they were 18 years old and I was having some problem with one, and the controllers were obsolete and the back A/C couldn't be controlled by the new controller, which the main one would require.

We have had NO problems with the chassis (Freightliner) or the NEWMAR portion.

My good friend bought a used Allegro Bus, and it's pretty, but he is having problems with a lot of different items traceable back to Allegro.

Good Luck and be BLESSED!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #40

Quote:
We are looking for some advice as we have finally narrowed down our (very long) search to two coaches. It's between a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH or a 2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018. And of course, I prefer one, and my husband prefers the other. We need some advice since this will be our first DP.....and neither of us wants to spend the next 10 years hearing "I told you so!". Thank you!
Check out 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP – Now Ordered! | Outside Our Bubble

David and Brenda Bott's informative and entertaining experiences with Tiffin. I think both are quality coaches, and you will love either one - go with the floorplan you prefer. The Allegro Bus 45OPP is fabulous and comparable in cost to the Dutch Star.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #41

Quote:
Well, we just bought the Newmar! Thank you!
Congrats! You made the correct choice. Enjoy
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Congratulations! Wishing you many happy miles & memories. Don't forget to post pics in the New Rig Show-Off Forum. We love to see pictures.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin