Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2007, 03:37 AM   #15

SML Ranger,
I see you are in Virginia and wondered where you purchased your tires? I am near Dulles airport and cannot seem to find anyone that really does motor home tires.

All,
Hi,
I am new to this forum and we are starting a full-timers adventure starting in September. My tires are low miles but 6 years old and show some sun damage so do I need to replace the outer ones at least?
We are also looking for any info on towing our car. It is a 2003 Lexus RX300 and I am thinking the car caddy is the way to go as I would need to get the lube pump and tow bar to tow it and it seems the caddy is less $$.
Thanks for any help with these questions.
Regards, Randy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:10 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
At 30,000 miles I turned my "weathered" sidewalls inward. At 60,000 miles I'll need a better plan.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Randy,

I think you'll find that most here will advise you to get new tires. Since you are about to embark on your big adventure why would you want to deal with the possibility of tire issues. I'd start out with new ones.

By the way, replace them all. The inside rear tires live a tuff life, they may not be as sun weathered as the others but may have gone thru other high stress issues.

Ref the towing of the car, many are perfectly happy using a tow dolly for their car. Others do not want to be bothered with storing a dolly when they get to their destination. Plus they don't like getting dirty strapping down the front end of the car on the dolly. Perhaps you could rent (or borrow one if you know somebody that has one)a tow dolly for a few weeks and see if it works for you. In the end only you can decide which way to go.

Also, welcome to IRV2.com- the best rv site around!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 AM   #18

Thanks for the quick replies. While I want to be as safe as possible I just hate to spend the $$$$$
to replace tires with less than 10,000 easy miles and still have almost full tread. I see someone said it was over $2,000 all in. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Randy
Old 07-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #19

Randy, I agree with the others regarding going for new tires. Not worth taking a chance. Age is as bad on the tires as tread wear. The majority of failures on tires are sidewall tears (blowouts) which is primarily due to underinflation. Do you know if the tires on this coach were always inflated properly?? If they were driven at 20+psi below where they should have, they may have sustained sidewall damage.

Don't take any chances!! Not worth it. I'd recommend Goodyears or Michelin.

If you do buy Michelin and currently have the 235's I'd recommend going up to the 255's as they have more weight carrying capacity. Just make sure they fit (call Freightliner @ 1-800-FTL-HELP). Winnebago/Freightliner went up 1 tire size several years back as the tires were weight-limited as compared to the coach cargo carrying capacity.

Regarding towing your Lexus, check into Remco and see if they have the equipment to tow it 4-down. My opinion (and everyone has one ) is it's much better to tow 4-down than on a tow dolly.

Happy miles and welcome to irv2.com!!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #20

Thanks Pusherman I do currently have the 235 Michelins and I guess I just need to try to find them for the best price with everything included. We just don't have much rv service or competition here.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Sams Club and Costco now sell 22.5" RV tires.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sams Club in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, Va.
does NOT sell 22.5 or 19.5 Tires!! I have ask twice,
thinking maybe the first person does not know, or
does not want to go to the trouble to look them up.

The woman at the Beach showed me the computer, and
it does not list the .5 tires???
You know, if its not in the COMPUTER we dont have
a clue. Tenn.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #23

I remember being in Oregon a couple of years ago and asked at a Costco about the 19.5 tires. They were not in the computer, but the guy found them in a special order notebook. I needed the 245/70's. They were not listed. Forgot the brands, but goodyear was not among them. Also, at the time they would not mount them, would have to go to a tire shop for that. He suggested Big-O.

I just had the second tire failure in just over a year, and about 15 miles from home, so I figured it was time for new ones. I got the Goodyear G670's, load range G. (originals were 'F') They ride great. Restarted my trip a few day after the tires were mounted and wasn't sure what tire pressure the shop used. Seems they weren't sure either, the pressures ranged from 70 to 105 and no two the same. It was not a busy time and I think 5 different guys inflated the tires!! Remember, always check the tire pressures before a trip and often on the road. It was an auto shop (Big-O) in Prescott, AZ, and I assume most of them had not seen tires that big. "19.5") They ordered, mounted, and balanced for about $125 more than I could have gotten them in Phoenix, but I didn't have to do the 200 mile round trip to get to a "Truck" shop. The date codes indicated a BOD of 1907 and 2107. Just hope the rubber was cured enough! Also, on Goodyear's web site is a rebate of $20/tire, up to eight tires, on the 19.5 G670's. Other amounts on other tires.

'01 Nat'l RV, Tropical 33' Ford V10
H. Dossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
Sams Club in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, Va.
does NOT sell 22.5 or 19.5 Tires!! I have ask twice,
thinking maybe the first person does not know, or
does not want to go to the trouble to look them up.

The woman at the Beach showed me the computer, and
it does not list the .5 tires???
You know, if its not in the COMPUTER we dont have
a clue. Tenn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should look for 22" size. They have an RV tire sign at my Pittsburgh Sams Club. Also look near the bottom of the online Sams Club website tire page. RV tires are new at Sams Club and many clerks are clueless.

-Tom

Old 07-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H. Dossett:
I remember being in Oregon a couple of years ago and asked at a Costco about the 19.5 tires. They were not in the computer, but the guy found them in a special order notebook. I needed the 245/70's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This year Costco has large RV tires online complete with pricing.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?ec=BC-EC...=11218411&lang=en-US

-Tom

Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #26

Thanks Tom, I was at Costco this morning here in Virginia and they told me they no longer install RV tires of any size but I will at least have this as a price basis to compare and to see if i can find a shop to install them.
Randy
Old 07-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #27

Randy, Camping World sells RV tires. But be advised some of the shops cannot mount the larger tires.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My tires were purchased from and installed by CW in Myrtle Beach. They were the cheapest.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote