Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Tinted driver-side windows help during daytime, but are dangerous driving at night. I bought a static-cling window tint panel, about 1'x2', that I can move wherever needed. Driving into the sun, DW places it on the windshield to block my eyes from the direct sun, and I may still see clearly to drive.

I like that idea, may just do it.

I priced having all my coach windows tinted as mine is much older single pane and no tint at all. They wanted $700, needless to say I didn't do it.
I may have my husband Tom help and we do them ourselves. I drive with all the blinds up in the front, over the table, over the sofas, etc, I want to be able to see all the way around me. I do like the idea above for now.

I had a new windshield put in on the drivers side and it does have some tint at the top, I think the old one on the right has lost some of its.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach side windows in the driving cab are stacked one over ther other. Nice greenhouse but got way to hot. Added the heaviest tint to the top glass but left the lower window untinted. Now the heat load is reduced when sunny and the vision is not impaired at night. JM2...

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definations: A Pillar; The first pillar or post where at the edge of the windshield.
Definations: B Pillar: the one between the front and rear doors on a 4 Door car, or the 2nd verticle pillar on any vehicle.

In most states, tinting is allowed only for the top most So-many inches till you get to the "B" pillar,, From there back you can tint to black if you like, but the windows beside the driver and passanger must not be tinted.

That said.. Been in many cars that came from the factory with full tint.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the tinted static cling type that has been mentioned a few times here. I had my entire coach tinted ( except windshield ) and it worked great. Only issue was I couldn't see my mirrors at night . This was not an issue for me as I didn't do any night driving and if I needed to ( in an emergency ) I could have removed the tint . As stated it's not legal in a lot of places.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The windows were already tinted (illegal) to dark on the toad when we bought it. Previous owner was a private fraud investigator for a insurance company. After getting pulled over for the 4th time, I asked my doc since I get migraines from brite lights or sunny days really bad on sunny days and the snow reflection, if he could give me a letter so I could keep the tint on the windows and he did. That was 2 years ago and haven't been stopped since.
We don't have any problems driving at night because they are to dark. I plan on getting all the MH windows tinted.
JM, Tim
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
The windows were already tinted (illegal) to dark on the toad when we bought it. Previous owner was a private fraud investigator for a insurance company. After getting pulled over for the 4th time, I asked my doc since I get migraines from brite lights or sunny days really bad on sunny days and the snow reflection, if he could give me a letter so I could keep the tint on the windows and he did. That was 2 years ago and haven't been stopped since. We don't have any problems driving at night because they are to dark. I plan on getting all the MH windows tinted. JM, Tim
Just wondering, how do LEO know that you have an 'excuse' so they don't pull you over? Just lucky is probably closer to truth. Still doesn't make it safe. My son, the cop, explained the 'safety' reasons for the reg.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #21

I tinted the windows on my Class A with the cling style from Lowes. I went with a gray tint on the pilot window and entry door, and a limo tint on the rest. Made a tremendous difference in the heat beating in through the glass. It does make it a bit harder navigating in a campground at night when it's really dark, but worth it IMHO.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
I have always had tinted windows on any vehicle I drive and to date have never owned a car with tinting so dark that it impacts my ability to drive at night even at the legal level of 20% here in New Mexico. If having tinting on your windows is impacting your ability to drive then it seems to me that you should schedule an appointment with your optometrist to have your eyes examined. This isn't meant to be in any way insulting but there are possible serious safety concerns here that should be addressed.

First, you should never tint lower than what is legal to the state you are registered in. Limo tint is never a good idea because that is 5% or less which means you have almost blacked out your windows. Any quality window tint will block UV which is the largest part of the heating factor your vehicle will accumulate so even at 35% tint you have reduced the sun tanning effect on you and reduced the amount of heat your rig will suffer from.

To my knowledge (and it is state dependent so I could be wrong) at this time you are not allowed to tint your windshield below the marked line at the top (otherwise known as an eye brow) with anything less than 100% tint (clear). If driving in normal day light is hurting your eyes then again I suggest quickly visiting your optometrist and investing in a good pair of sunglasses. Tinting your windshield is almost a guaranteed visit to LEO's where ever you go.

The only issue I have with dark window tint is from a motorcyclist's perspective. You can't see if the driver of the cage that I always have to assume is about to run me over. As for our rigs I can't think of a reason not to properly tint the windows because UV damages the interior, wears out the shades, causes carpet fading, increases heat and damages our skin from over exposure, etc. 35% is probably the ideal level to choose because it reduces glare but is still clear enough to see through easily even in the darkest conditions (this is also the Texas legal limit last time I checked). People can still see in but all you have to do is pull down your daylight shades and you have 100% privacy.

And please don't be one of those drivers who uses the mirror tint. The glare that puts off onto everyone around you is going to increase your chances of getting into or at least causing an accident. I am pretty sure it is illegal almost every where for that very reason but again I could be wrong depending on the state.

There is nothing wrong with NOT tinting your windows as well if that is your preference and it makes your driving more comfortable but consider you could get your windows tinted at 100% as a way to protect you and your interior from UV. And there is no rule saying you have to have all your windows tinted at once so you could get it done a couple of windows at a time as your budget and time allows. Dropping $700 in one shot seems pretty steep but if you did it 2 windows at a time it would probably be between $40-$80 and take less than an hour.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #23

I too have tinted every vehicle i've owned for over 20 years now, never been stopped for it. Nor do i care that it may be illegal, not about to cook in the summer for sure. That being said my MH is tinted as well and i have no issues seeing out of the windows at night. Most don't know it but there's a totally clear tint available that's 100% UV blocking and passes no heat at all. However it's not cheap, but i'm going to get the windshield done as the heat is unbearable at times.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I didn't mean that I won't get pulled over, of course they don't know, but my Doc issued me a letter to show the Leo. Just a coincident
Don't have any tint on the windshield not even the stripe on top found on most vehicles.
I spent around 100 bucks for sun glasses, but there is still a glare. The tint isn't the limo type, you can see in the car. and out at night.
Legally I can have any windows behind the driver tinted limo type and then darkest legal Drivers/ Passenger side.
I am going to add that strip on the top of the windshield too.
Trust me I won't hit ya... LOL
Tim
Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #25

We did the clear windshield tint, a very good value even at $450, here in the Texas summer sun and sunsets. Our huge vertical windows were hot.

We did the last coach, all windows 3 years ago, for $700, again, great way to stop the heat.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am going to check out the clear tinting never new there was a clear tint. Cost is not a problem, if it works is more what I am concerned with.
Thanks, Tim
Old 04-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #27

Last year I tinted the two large side windows with the legal tint for Arizona. It made the coach look better and made it a lot cooler. I had dual pain windows in the coach.

No question I would do it again!