Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
. I still tip at 10% and wish my retirement check would increase 10% so I could afford to break-even.

Agree to that!!!

2015 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2015 Focus SE flat tow SMI Airforce One
USMC 67-70 VN 69/70
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
I don't make a habit of tipping anybody other than bartenders, waitresses, valets and/or the barber. There are however times that I'll make an exception and tip somebody who clearly does me right.

As a recent example, I had an issue with my coach's air bags airing up when leaving a campground early in the evening to make the hour drive home. Coachnet dispatched a mobile fleet service technician - from a location that was nearly 90 miles away. The guy arrived on site at 10 pm - less than two hours from the time I placed the call. He then proceeded to implement a workaround that got my coach "aired up" such that I could safely make the hour drive home. He was able to implement a workaround - and really bailed my ass out in the process! On a Coachnet "mobile tech" dispatch - Coachnet pays for the dispatch - but NOT for whatever "fix" the tech may implement. In this case, the guy was on site for nearly 90 minutes - but only charged me an hour worth of shop time. He also used some wiring and inexpensive connectors from his inventory to slap together the "workaround" that wasn't listed on the bill either.

When all was said and done - I paid the charges as written up on the invoice - and handed the guy an ice cold beer from the 'fridge along with a $20. I said thanks for making the late evening run - and to have a burger and beer on me. I feel like the guy did me right ... and was happy to reciprocate.

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #17
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
It was so refreshing when we visited Australia where tipping is nonexistent. There was no "guilting" to add to the bill. People who work in service trades were proud of their work. The responsibility for fair pay was placed squarely where it belongs - on the employer.

My friends who make way more money than me leave large tips (20% to 40%) and make me feel cheap for leaving 15% to 20%.

I hate the tipping culture. Really hate it.
I have to agree. It is getting out of hand in the USA.
Ram 2500 6.4L, Creekside 23RKS, Smyrna, Ga
Previously - Casita 17' w/Dodge Dakota 3.9L
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #18
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
I have to agree. It is getting out of hand in the USA.
I agree it's gone to far in some situations. Tipping in my mind is for work above and beyond the minimum duties required to remain employed. I often see tip jars at counter service restaurants. You walk to the counter, order a sandwich and a drink. The person behind the counter makes the sandwich, hands it to you along with a cup to get your own self service drink, then looks disgusted when you don't leave a tip equal to the value of the meal you ordered.

I recently read some of the fast food restaurants are trying to implement to fully automated ordering, cooking, and serving systems. For about $35,000.00 they can buy an automated system that stores, cooks, and serves French fries. It doesn't get paid $15.00 per hour, overtime, need sick days, family time off, or health insurance.

I have no idea whether or not it will work, or whether it will be accepted by the customers. Just the fact that they are interested in it does not bode well for those demanding higher wages for minimum skill jobs.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #19
Commercial Member
hwh does not allow techs to accept tips for service work at the shop in iowa.
.however, its ok to tip techs who are not employed by hwh for non warranty work
i do all my own hwh work and other repairs that i am comfortable doing, but i usually get alignments, and tires etc, elsewhere, so i tip maybe...
i tip if the tech has done a great job at a reasonable price. if im gouged, i do not tip.
and wont go back.
if you find a good shop, patronize it, recommend it to others, make sure you recommend the tech. tell them to mention your name and that you recommended him.
if you tip, include the service manager. he is the guy that approves the bill
he will remember you next time. he appreciates repeat business, especially when you advertise for them.
networking never fails to produce better results when done properly.

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote