Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #1

Tipping at Service Center????

Just wondering if tipping the tech after warranty work at service center is
a to each his own thing. My tech did good work and was very nice and friendly. Just wanted to do what was right, not maybe for everyone, but for me and did give the tech a tip. He said that was not necessary but I felt good about it and he did finally take it. Personal question I guess, and as said a "to each his own" thing.... just curious on the protocol.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have just a couple of times when I knew the tec saved me money on the time charged or was not just a parts changer tec until the problem found.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tipped a Country Coach factory service tech because I felt he went above and beyond in terms of keeping us informed on repairs, keeping the coach clean during the work, his explanations of what was done and what still needed to be done (at the end of each service day), and his overall efficiency and demeanor.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Where I come from, service techs are not normally tipped. They aren't less-than-minimum-wage servers and they earn a good hourly wage. A tip would be justified only for outstanding service. If they do something special for you, by all means give an extra reward.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

If a tech goes out of his way to help and solves my problem. I'll tip them. Even when they say it's not necessary. Makes me feel good too.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

I think tipping should disappear from north America. Employers should pay their workers a decent wage and yes of course the consumer pays but not through a silly demeaning
Method such as tipping.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tipped a mobile mechanic that did a great job getting me back on the road, but I do not tip for work done at garages.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I think tipping should disappear from north America. Employers should pay their workers a decent wage and yes of course the consumer pays but not through a silly demeaning
Method such as tipping.
It was so refreshing when we visited Australia where tipping is nonexistent. There was no "guilting" to add to the bill. People who work in service trades were proud of their work. The responsibility for fair pay was placed squarely where it belongs - on the employer.

My friends who make way more money than me leave large tips (20% to 40%) and make me feel cheap for leaving 15% to 20%.

I hate the tipping culture. Really hate it.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We usually provide fruit or donuts in the morning or pizza at lunch for the crew...always appreciated and ensures the behind-the-scenes folks are recognized...
Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
We usually provide fruit or donuts in the morning or pizza at lunch for the crew...always appreciated and ensures the behind-the-scenes folks are recognized...
That may be more appreciated than money.

We've done the same.

W.D.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #11

I see some do and some don't....as said "to each his own". I by no means
have money (to say the least) but in certain instances find it the protocol to tip. Service Center?? Just depends on your tech, his attitude and workmanship. For me, $50 bucks is a lot, but hey, who knows, he may really need the extra cash and DOES appreciate the tip, or possibly we can call it maybe a bump of $2 an hour increase in salary. No biggie in any case....He may even buy his friends in the shop donuts with it....some I think are a bit tight, just their nature...that's fine too...a LIMITED income can be a factor in some peoples tipping protocol....understandably so.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #12

About the only place we take our motorhome for service is the factory service center. We feel they are the best trained and best equipped to handle any maintenance or problems we encounter.

I always tip the technician if I feel they've done a good job. It's a matter of giving the person the sense of satisfaction that their efforts were appreciated.

I was a garage owner for many years and know that being shown a sense of appreciation is worth a lot. In my case I didn't personally accept tips, but rather asked the customer to return if they felt the service was good and the prices were fair. I'm sure many of the guys that worked for me did get tips. I didn't need to know the details as long as they performed quality work and the customer was satisfied.

It's a personal decision whether or not to tip. I do know that my employees appreciated it even though they were paid well above the prevailing wage scale.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #13

I tip when I feel it is warranted. What I have a problem with is the increasing percentage, which is now over 20%. It's ridiculous. I still tip at 10% and wish my retirement check would increase 10% so I could afford to break-even.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I deal with the same service advisors and technicians/mechanics when I have my motorhome and personal vehicles repaired. As long as they do a good job, I always throw them a few bucks (normally from $5 to $20) depending on the work that was done and whether or not they went above and beyond what was expected. I am very picky, so in my mind, they have earned a tip if they meet my expectations. A small tip goes a long way for return visits.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service