Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tips and tricks for Class A living in cold weather ?

Hello,

We will probably spend 2014 Thanksgiving and Christmas in the Knoxville, TN area (family obligations, or I would be heading to FL or AZ). It can get pretty cold here... nighttime lows around 30-32F and daytime highs around 45-52F.

I appreciate hearing (reading) any tips and tricks for using a Class A in colder weather. We will have full hook-ups.

Thank you!
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:52 AM   #2

We spent from Dec 26th till Jan 9th in Daton, Tn. I strongly suggest facing the coach west if possible, you will have your wet bay in full sun, your windshield will get afternoon sun. We were in several days with single digits was the high temps. We have our overhead cabinets lined with the foil bubble wrap insulation from Lowes. This is a simple solution for cold, heat and noise.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #3

A whole lot depends on which coach you end up buying. A coach that is made with double pane windows and heat in the lower wet compartment will do OK at 32 degrees. If you get one without a heated wet compartment you will need to supply supplemental heat in the form of a small heater or incandescent light bulb.

Now if those 30-32 degree temperatures should drop down to 20-22 degree you will really need to pay attention to the water compartment.

Good luck from your Northern Neighbor
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
100 watt bulb in the freshwater compartment to keep the water lines from the pump from freezing. I need one below 20 degrees. I use 2 drop lights below 10.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Depends on the coach systems. We have lived in below zero temps. When the diesel furnace wasn't working, we used space heaters inside and 100 watt bulbs in the basements. Once I fixed the furnace, it kept the basement temps right at 40 in near zero temps. We stayed nice and toasty inside. I would check on the systems and see how your coach is designed to handle cooler temps.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
With full hook ups, go to Wally World and buy a couple of Lasko towers. That way you use the CG's electricity and not your propane. When really cold, I have six cheap trouble lights with 60 watt bulbs I place in key areas...water pump, back of the refrig, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I do more cold weather camping than warm weather, including in below zero temperatures.

I put a space heater with tip over protection in the utility compartment and I have a wireless thermometer in this compartment.

I made my own heated fresh water hose, depending on whether the campground has fresh water supply in freeze protection (some are below ground) you may not be able to leave your hose connected? If not, fill fresh tank and disconnect the hose after filling and drain prior to storage.

You need to make sure you run your exhaust fan when cooking/showering to keep humidity down inside the coach. I installed covers over my vent fans (mainly for snow in the mountains) and I manually raise the vent just enough to allow fan to work so I don't lose too much heat.

At night I would recommend opening your vanity doors and turning off your water pump.

Do NOT leave sewer hose hooked up and be sure to drain the hose after dumping.

I would also highly recommend to check your batteries and fill your fuel tank prior to setting up camp. Primary reason in case of loss of utility power due to ice etc., this way your tank is full of fuel to allow the generator to supply power.

Depending on the type of refrigerator you have, you may need to cover the vent cover for the refrigerator if it isn't a household refrigerator. I have seen the cold temperatures freeze up refrigerators.

Otherwise, I have found cold weather isn't that much different, I started with a pop up, travel trailer, and now 2 Class A's and I have done the same basic things in each for cold weather.

There is a lot information available on the internet with a google search.

Your RV Series: Full Time & Cold Weather RV Living | eBay
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our second year of cold weather camping in February. Last year, it went down to near zero in Las Vegas, NV. We had a blast! Our Thor ACE 29.2 furnace feeds heat to the water pump and macerator. We just used shore water hook-up during the day and never put water into the tank. We use gallon water containers for wash-up and flushing when not hooked up.

This year, the furnace went out the first night on the road. Luckily, so far, the weather has been in the upper 20s and the electric heater is keeping the inside warm. Wish us luck as we continue the trip!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely acquire electric heaters of some kind. If anything happens to your propane / furnaces you'll be happy you did. If you install one each on two separate circuits you can probably get away with running them on a lower setting, reducing the risk of blowing breakers.

Look at how well your slides are sealed. You'll be shocked at how much cold air can come in around those things.

If your rig doesn't have thermopane windows think about the Home Depot plastic kits for at least some of the windows. There's huge heat loss from single panes.

The foil backed bubble wrap (also from Home Depot) works wonders for helping keep the heat in. We have window liners made from this stuff to fit every window in our rig and use them in the bedroom windows every night. You can really feel the difference.

It's a good idea to take them out once in a while though to get the condensation out of the window track. We get some even with the dual pane windows.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
Depending on the type of refrigerator you have, you may need to cover the vent cover for the refrigerator if it isn't a household refrigerator. I have seen the cold temperatures freeze up refrigerators.

Thanks Johnny... good tips all. Regarding the vent cover for the 'fridge, is there a particular brand you recommend or all they all pretty much the same?

Yes, I've been scouring the internet for info and have compiled a pretty good document. I'd be happy to share that doc once done (are we ever "done"?).
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
Thanks Johnny... good tips all. Regarding the vent cover for the 'fridge, is there a particular brand you recommend or all they all pretty much the same?

Yes, I've been scouring the internet for info and have compiled a pretty good document. I'd be happy to share that doc once done (are we ever "done"?).
I haven't had this issue, I have a household refrigerator. My brother's '01 Eagle has 2 way fridge, we were in Breckenridge, CO in -15 weather, his fridge on electric to save propane, but fridge quit cooling. I have read placing a trouble light in the compartment and switch to propane helps keep the gas from gelling or freezing. If you use the trouble light, I would make sure it isn't against any combustible material, but I think starting with covering up the bents depending on outside temperature and running fridge on propane should be sufficient unless you are below 20 for extended period of time. Good luck and enjoy!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #12

First time I ever heard someone suggest covering the refrigerator vent in the cold. I guess if you were using electricity to cool the refrigerator it would be OK, but when using propane I would be concerned about not having enough flow through air to keep the combustion byproduct exhaust gasses going up the chimney. Just a thought.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

Commercial Member

Consuelo,

We have a video that covers a few of the tips/tricks that we used while wintering in southwestern British Columbia (similar temperature range to what you're listing for Knoxville) a few years ago that you might find helpful:

How To RV In The Winter - HowToRVgeeks

And you can check out a similar post from GoneWithTheWynns about their experiences RVing in some pretty serious cold in Colorado:

How To Prepare Your RV for a Winter Adventure | Gone With The Wynns

Hope these help you stay nice and warm!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We spent from Dec 26th till Jan 9th in Daton, Tn. I strongly suggest facing the coach west if possible, you will have your wet bay in full sun, your windshield will get afternoon sun. We were in several days with single digits was the high temps. We have our overhead cabinets lined with the foil bubble wrap insulation from Lowes. This is a simple solution for cold, heat and noise.
Good tip. What did you use to fasten it in place? My experience with tape is that heat and age cause it to loosen. Did you put some kind of facing on it so it isn't so glaring when you open cabinets?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, cold weather