Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire blow out on I-10 in LA

Found out why I was stuck in traffic on I-10 in Louisiana yesterday. It had to be a front tire blow out for them to be West bound and end up crossing the median and striking a car East bound and almost ending up in the trees. Looked like everyone was ok and the report says the same.

This could have ended much much worse.

Stay safe..

KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette - One lane closed on I-10 near Duson after tire blowout on RV
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
So close to tragedy! Makes me want to up my liability insurance and buy some new front tires. I know that stretch well, lots of traffic, it could have really been disastrous.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! Those folks were really lucky! That's why I installed SteerSafe stabilizers on the MH when we bought it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
they should have watched the michelin video about how to handle blowouts.
imho a Tp monitoring system is necessary.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #5

So you think flooring the pedal, with all of that weight, already at highway speed, would send some kind of burst of power to the rear wheels, and keep it straight? I don't .

If he ran over a chunk of steel, that just fell off of a scrap metal hauler, would the TPM make a difference. I don't

Maybe he did floor it and had TPMs, then the car drove into him, when granny got scared.

We don't know what happened.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
So you think flooring the pedal, with all of that weight, already at highway speed, would send some kind of burst of power to the rear wheels, and keep it straight? I don't .

If he ran over a chunk of steel, that just fell off of a scrap metal hauler, would the TPM make a difference. I don't

Maybe he did floor it and had TPMs, then the car drove into him, when granny got scared.

We don't know what happened.
You should be making videos on how to handle a blowout except you would be wrong. He's right about giving power to maintain control. Try driving on a race track. Of course a TPS isn't Utopia but it will help. There was enough info in the report to tell me he knew nothing about handling any vehicle if losing control. He probably panicked and lost control, crossing the median.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

Now we're on a race track?
Old 04-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
There's no doubt that accelerating with a tire blow out has been proven to be the best possible response, but nothing is a guarantee in that situation.

Also it's such a rare occurrence that few drivers remember to respond that way in an actual incident. I trained bus drivers for ten years and there is a huge disconnect between knowing the right thing to do, and actually responding that way in an emergency.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #9

I'm with you twin boat!!! Have never seen one nascar driver floor it when they have a blow out!!! I guess they need to watch that Michelin video so they can quit slamming into the wall
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #10

I never said it wouldn't help , I just don't think, most M/Hs have enough power or response, at highway speeds to make a difference.

Driving up a hill, in my Class C, I already have my foot in it.

Big old diesels, have that turbo lag, to overcome and then the downshift, before any, extra power, gets to the wheels.

I think, by then, you have it under control or your in the ditch.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've seen those videos, and I just don't buy it. Flooring it is the last thing I would ever want to do, although neither would I want to slam on the brakes. The whole key is to do everything gently and maintain control, while slowing the rig to a stop. Flooring it does not do that, and in fact simply increases your speed so that when you DO let off the throttle you're going even faster.

The argument that you need to floor it to get the weight off the front end is flawed...eventually you still have to let off the gas and start braking, and then the weight is right back on the front, but at a higher speed. So you've accomplished nothing and actually made your situation worse. I've blown tires on RVs over the 2 1/2 decades I've been driving them, at least 2 of them fronts. One while traveling at a steady 65mph, the other while moving at about 60mph just after entering a downhill freeway offramp with my foot off the gas. In both cases, I simply let off the gas and started to gently apply the brakes. At no time did I feel like it was trying to yank me off the road or lose control. Accelerating in either case would have been counter productive.

So while the videos are interesting, I'll stick with what I know works. Gently slowing the rig to a stop, not accelerating. YMMV.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:08 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Well if you have had two front tire blowouts with no change in direction you have been just lucky. I have already posted about my friend who had a sudden blowout on his country coach that shot him across the interstate into the median, a long-time RV'r with lots of experience. Another time I saw an 18 wheeler suddenly blow a drivers side tire and shoot over into the median only 100 yards in front of me. When I stopped to see if he was alright he stated it was like a giant hand reached over and yanked the steering wheel to the left.
I think I will stay with what the experts say, accelerate some to regain momentum, than slowly come to a stop, rather than rely on anectdotal evidence.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
I think I will stay with what the experts say, accelerate some to regain momentum, than slowly come to a stop, rather than rely on anectdotal evidence.

I agree. Some people seem to think that the experts are suggesting accelerating to the point that speed increases. It's just a momentary acceleration until you have steering under control again. Then you can decelerate and gently brake to a stop where you it want to go.

It's a tough thing to remember when suddenly startled by a tire blowing, but it's still the best option, no matter how counter intuitive it seems.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #14

Which experts?

I just googled Allstate , State Farm and Travelers, insurance companies, The state of Pennsylvania and the National Safety Commission.

They all recommend, driving straight, not slamming on the brakes, and gently slowing down, to regain control.

I did find 1 site, involved in police vehicles, recommending "slight" acceleration. They referenced Michelin Tires.