Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Son, you keep missing a key word in my original statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
Case in point, my rear tires (Which bear 98% of the load), have never been more than slightly warm both on the tread surface and the side wall after several hundred miles of operation. But, I run them at full load capacity PSI for safety.
My Load is my Camper. Not, how much of the truck rides on the axles plus the camper, how much of the load is borne by the rear axle. So my Load, (I.E. The CAMPER), is 90% borne by the rear tires. The front end weights 3xxxlbs with or WITHOUT the camper. The rear end goes from bearing 3020lbs, to 6270lbs. Somehow, I do believe this has a tad more consequence on tire HEAT than the 320lbs change of weight on the FRONT END.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #30

You win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Son, you keep missing a key word in my original statement:

My Load is my Camper. Not, how much of the truck rides on the axles plus the camper, how much of the load is borne by the rear axle. So my Load, (I.E. The CAMPER), is 90% borne by the rear tires. The front end weights 3xxxlbs with or WITHOUT the camper. The rear end goes from bearing 3020lbs, to 6270lbs. Somehow, I do believe this has a tad more consequence on tire HEAT than the 320lbs change of weight on the FRONT END.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Eddie, I think were just both arguing from different subjects. You were arguing the percentage of the total vehicle weight, and I was arguing the percentage of my cargo weight borne. There was no winner in this, just plenty of confusion.

You are correct in terms of the total vehicle weight of truck and camper combined, the rear end only makes up 70% of the total GVW, but at the same time, it bears 90% of the weight of the cargo, which was the point I kept trying to make.

No hard feelings?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #32

Thumbs up

No hard feelings. I just don't see the importance of it. Your are putting your load in a pickup. I suspect that the weight distribution of anything you put in the bed would be around 90% rear. If you pulled the body off of my Freightliner chassis, I have no idea what the load distribution would be and don't care. What I care about is the weight on each axle as it rolls down the road.

The original question was the proper tire pressure for the load on each axle. That is set using the actual weight. How that weight got there is not important.

I apologize for the Hijack.

Mercedes MBE 926
Old 03-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I was only adding the comment on my setup's weight distribution because while its similar to a motorhome, your average Class C, for example, has the rear wheels further back than your average pickup, so the weight is more centered between the two axles, so your rear end load may be more equally proportioned and thus make it safer to run lower rear PSIs to satisfy the weight carrying requirement. In my situation, if I didn't run 80 PSI, I would risk a higher chance of a blow out from over heating because two tires carry the vast majority of the load. I was only trying to quantitate my advice to their situation but also describing the situation with my running gear at the same time to give it parameters.

I too appologize for the hijack.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #34

Your rig has 63% on the rear. My DP has 62%.

Mercedes MBE 926
Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Sigh....how about more on how and why this tire blew out....I want to know the cause and details...and I'm relieved to hear it blew on the inside...if it had been on the outside tire the results could have been much worse...