Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Unhappy Tire blows while filling

Hi just a reminder. We were sitting outside enjoying the warm weather when we heard tihs explosin. Got up and went to see what had happened and one road over a fellow in a motor home was inflating his tires. The inside dual blew teraing off the fiberglass skirting in large peices injuring the fellow. They rushed him to the ER for cuts and doon't know what else right now. This AM heard a company changeing all the tires. He wasn't there but assume they were old and should have been changed before this took place. Will try to talk to him when he comes back. But they are right that no matter how good they look change them before they get to 6 years old.
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Hi just a reminder. We were sitting outside enjoying the warm weather when we heard tihs explosin. Got up and went to see what had happened and one road over a fellow in a motor home was inflating his tires. The inside dual blew teraing off the fiberglass skirting in large peices injuring the fellow. They rushed him to the ER for cuts and doon't know what else right now. This AM heard a company changeing all the tires. He wasn't there but assume they were old and should have been changed before this took place. Will try to talk to him when he comes back. But they are right that no matter how good they look change them before they get to 6 years old.
Yo teabag,

Thanks for reporting this situation and the warning. I am blown away about the 6 year old bit....after all the talk here about the isssues with aging GY 614s. Many folks right here tried to push their luck by going beyond the 4 year limit....trying for the 5 year mark deal and got the big tread seperation or a blow out or two!!! Mine were changed just before their 3rd birthday (30,000+ miles - almost 4 year old date code)....called me anal....just being on the safe side. Can I get a witness???...Rusty, Virg, Gary, etc. etc.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
If I were him I'd but a lotto ticket. Hope he will have a full recovery.

My first question would be was the tire low on air or was he just topping off? If it was low on air it was more likely a "zipper" caused by low air pressure and run low, causing the steel sidewall belts to weaken from the flexing(too much and in the wrong place) and then KABoom. Not all tires have steel sidewall belts, (most trailer tires don't) but run flat damage on a polyester, nylon carcass can have the same results.

I just talked with a tire dealer friend of mine and in the last month they have had 3 zipper explosions. No one was hurt thankfully, the tire assemblies were all in cages. But the explosion did rip shirts and knock the persons backwards more than a few feet.

So...be careful airing up a tire that has run low on air. If 100 psi is proper inflation, 20% low on air pressure is a run flat...80psi. Don't air the tire up until it has been inspected by dismounting the tire.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Can I get a witness???...Rusty, Virg, Gary, etc. etc.
Amen, brother!! $2,500 worth!! Date code February 04. Tread separations in July and October 2007. Damage shown repaired by Goodyear and all 4 tires replaced as well. Supposedly the new ones are "improved".....we'll see.

Rusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1757.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	85   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1763.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	86  

RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #5

Talking

Went down to my tire guy last year to talk new tires, He said I didn't need new tires. No cracks good tread and they were only 8 years old should go to 12 years with no problens. they are G670 goodyears. (2000 Itasca orignal tires )
herbtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbtrout View Post
Went down to my tire guy last year to talk new tires, He said I didn't need new tires. No cracks good tread and they were only 8 years old should go to 12 years with no problens. they are G670 goodyears. (2000 Itasca orignal tires )
I would get a new tire guy...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
I would get a new tire guy...
Ditto...6 yr old tires put a hole in our TT floor.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
When a tire explodes while filling, is there one place to be that is safer than another? That is, straight on, to the side or does it matter?

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan0810 View Post
When a tire explodes while filling, is there one place to be that is safer than another? That is, straight on, to the side or does it matter?
My answer would be "Behind the Tire Guy"

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
My answer would be "Behind the Tire Guy"

MM
HEY wait a minute that could be ME

Since the sidewall is the weakest, standing behind or in front of the tire, IMHO would be the best place. That can be hard when most of us have to hold the air chuck on the tires stem....with our face right down there too.

I have to add air twice a year. The experts I sell to always air up my tires. They use a long extension of hose and stand back while adding air.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Don't forget about the weight the tires have been carrying. If overloaded, this too could lead to tire failure when inflating due to the heat that has been generated in the tire when traveling.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan0810 View Post

The past two motorhomes I have owned had that covered. "A remote inflation device must be used" when filling motorhome tires. Ford has it specified as putting you clear of the trajectory area while my GM manual had it at 12 or 15 feet from the tire being filled.

Anyone who inflates a tire with an air chuck that has to be hand held directly on a motorhome tire is breaking the rules and puts himself at risk. It is a case of what you don't know can hurt you.

I have mine on a 20 foot coil hose with the gauge and flow valve at the end farthest from the tire.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #13

the only real safe way to inflate is to remove from motorhome and put into a tire inflating cage. then inflate tire with right equipment. a lot of people don't use a cage and every year a few people get killed. when tire blows or wheel breaks the pressure is horrific andpeices can travel a ways.
mcgillagorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ya know, I may be wrong on this in consideration to motorhome tires, but if your tires are losing substantial amounts of air over a month period that you might have a bad fill stem, or a deformed rim, or just a really poor quality tire.

In my size of RV, the tires are 16", and considerably smaller than your given bus-style motorhome. On a given month, I lose maybe 1-2psi. From the way this thread is reading, least to me, it sounds like alot of the Class A tires are losing considerably more PSI over a 30 day period than your average auto tire.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote