Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We leave Wa in January for Az every year. I Carry a set of chains fir both MH and towed. Unless a total emergency I will park and wait out till roads are clear. But I follow the law, chains required to be carried. One would be surprised at how well the MHs handle in the snow, but heaven help you if you slip or need an emergency stop.

LEN

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Snow Sock's

I would not want to use/travel with chain's on.........check out this video

Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They don't *need* snow chains unless they pass through a state that requires them to be carried in the vehicle during winter during their trip.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #18

I don't think there's anything in the chain carry laws that say they have to fit the vehicle carrying them. We have a set for our minivan and just swapped them into the RV when we were using it.

In the 48 years we've lived in the US (all but three years in WA), we've never been stopped for a check on whether we had chains with us.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You're right of course, that the odds of ever being checked are very low. But if one can buy the chains at a store that will allow you to return them in the spring if they are unused for a full refund, it's kinda cheap insurance against a citation.

And someone might find themselves in an emergency situation where the chains will become necessary. Emergency evacuation of an area is one scenario I can imagine, where the driver decides to wait out the snow and ice, but for some reason there is an emergency evacuation and you have to go. Cheap insurance, keep Mr Murphy at bay.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
In Washington state, during the winter months, if you are driving over a mountain pass and over a certain weight. Cannot remember weight limits right now... You are required to carry chains.
As I remember there are about 12 passes where you are required to have chains for your RV and they have to be the correct size too. You have to have them in your rig from November to April as I remember.
Here's a link to some of the info: http://www.wsdot.com/winter/files/Wi...ngBrochure.pdf
Here's the WA State Patrol brochure: http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/cvd/chain_reqs.pdf
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Watching that video made me smile. We have been caught in the snow a couple times and have driven through snow that was 6 inches deep without chains on. That included some pretty good uphill climbs as well as down hill.
My point is not everyone should try this( I have years of winter driving experience in large vehicles) but that coach would have handled that road without anything on the wheels. That coach and most other large coaches are so heavy that they handle very well in snow. The big problem is going up a steep grade or descending a steep grade. That is why you have the chain up signs for trucks.
I would not like to see that coach go down a slippery hill with those things on the wheels.
Like I said I carry a set of cable chains to be legal and don't ever intend to use them . I will get off the road and wait it out and if I did have to put my chains on it would be to get me to a safe place. The damage on a coach could be major from the use of chains so slow speed would be a must.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I had a little smile also watching that "sales" video for "Snow Socks".

Back in early May 2012 I drove part of the Alaskan Highway in snow from Haines Junction YK (about 30 some miles) that started very light wet snow which was melting when it hit the road BUT as we climbed a very long grade heading to Destruction Bay the snow began to stick. We eventually were driving in about 5 inches of snow and no safe place to pull off and wait it out. With snow covering everything you really can't trust pulling off possibly into soft ground thereby burying the rig.

My rig is 72 feet long with coach and trailer, fairly heavy but had no problem with traction on the few inches of snow while climbing the grade. Luckily that area of the Alaskan Highway leveled off once we got up in altitude so I didn't have to fear going back down a steep grade.

Eventually we drove out of the snow and once we got to Kluane Lake the road was clear and dry.

BTW, the grades and roads that were shown in the video were NOTHING compared to what I was ascending in the Yukon.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #23

I have an interesting anecdote about snow chains. My Boeing supervisor, back in the mid-1970s was an avid skier. He skied Washington mountains before there were ski resorts. He bought one of the earliest 4wd Subarus I'd seen and, since we have to carry chains in WA he dutifully bought a set the right size for the tires.

Of course, 4wd cars aren't required to actually use chains even when the signs are up, if they have studded tires on all 4 wheels. Ben got pulled over by a trooper for not having his chains on. He said "This car is 4wd, and I have studded tiresI don't have to use them". The trooper insisted and threatened a ticket. Ben then put one chain on the right front wheel and the other on the left rear. He said to the trooper "OK, my chains are on" and drove away.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #24

As with many situations, I am less concerned with the road or my driving ability than with the 'nincompoops' I share the road with... (I had to think for an adequate word to use)

I am doing reasonable, or pull over to a rest area, or am doing a grade at a reasonable and controllable speed, and here comes that yahoo that has to go too fast, or worse, the one who stops in the road half way down the grade to figure out what they want to do...

Then, I have a problem.

Just me and the MH and the road and the snow, I'm fine. Add in the other drivers, some good, most not, and life gets very interesting.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Put these on and don't worry no more! Always ready!
Home
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Some of the school buses in Fairbanks Alaska use something similar. I have seen them hanging down during the non-winter months I have been up there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
That's them. They are the only one the makes that kind. Used them on the fire engines
in western Washington (Marysville) when I was working. They worked out great for us.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #28

On Spots are great as long as you dont have to have them stop. We had them on our Fire Engines and Medics and loved them. That was until you started to slide while using the brakes and the wheels locked. Once they lock, no more chains.

pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote