Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So the original poster probably got more than they wanted from this. And the bottom line seems to be that some like them and some don't. Both feel better with their choice. Hopefully that answers the OP's needs!

Happy camping!

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, tire covers are worth every penny and then some. My first coach was in 1978. I've been using them since then. I replace tires at the 10 year time out recommended by Michelin. I also keep the tires clean and dressed with my favorite tire dressing.

An additional benefit is the aluminum wheels stay pristine.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:56 PM   #45

I'll add my 2 cents on this one. A rolling tire will last longer than a sitting one. One thing to consider is that tire covers don't :breath: due to the fabric used. This means any moisture that becomes trapped stays where it is, not just on the tires, but also your braking system. If I were parked for an extended period, I would make shields out of plywood, protect the rubber, and circulate the air. (How many people do you see cover their auto tires?)
Old 11-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #46

Thanks

Wow! Didn't think this would generate all this response! Thanks to all!!! From what I can gather, it would appear if tires sit for fairly extended periods in the lower 48, particularly in the southern tier, covers are the prudent way to go!
Old 11-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #47
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think when people compare tires on their cars to tires on an RV they miss the point of what causes tires to go bad. Driving a car every day or every other day, exercises the oil and compounds in the tire and keeps it from deteriorating. An RV tire, even though it has protective compounds, doesn't get the usage to keep those compounds as active as they should be.

It's only common sense......no matter what you place out in the elements (rain, sun snow wind) an item that is covered (protected) will outlast anything that isn't. Even stainless steel will show some deterioration when left uncovered vs covered.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think when people compare tires on their cars to tires on an RV they miss the point of what causes tires to go bad. Driving a car every day or every other day, exercises the oil and compounds in the tire and keeps it from deteriorating. An RV tire, even though it has protective compounds, doesn't get the usage to keep those compounds as active as they should be.

It's only common sense......no matter what you place out in the elements (rain, sun snow wind) an item that is covered (protected) will outlast anything that isn't. Even stainless steel will show some deterioration when left uncovered vs covered.
In addition to Don's comment, all tire covers are not equal.
The slip on covers using elastic to give them a snug fit do not breath as well as the ones that snap on the wheel well and are made of sunshade material. These of course allow air movement around the tire while blocking UV which is what kills RV Tires when sitting.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScherrer View Post
Wow! Didn't think this would generate all this response! Thanks to all!!! From what I can gather, it would appear if tires sit for fairly extended periods in the lower 48, particularly in the southern tier, covers are the prudent way to go!
Yes I think you mostly have it. There are those who like the covers in certain situations. Yes, conversations can get lengthy. I'm on other forums that are totally different topics and they seem to all do that a bit

Happy RVing!
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardk View Post
I'll add my 2 cents on this one. A rolling tire will last longer than a sitting one. One thing to consider is that tire covers don't :breath: due to the fabric used. This means any moisture that becomes trapped stays where it is, not just on the tires, but also your braking system. If I were parked for an extended period, I would make shields out of plywood, protect the rubber, and circulate the air. (How many people do you see cover their auto tires?)
Canvas tire covers are what I use and it is a breathable fabric. Arcrilic or vinyl are really bad for tires. Plus many park want you to keep your area and rig nice looking and clean. Plywood is not very nice looking and you make get static from the park manager about using it. I also use tire dressing to keep my tires looking shiny and new. It has an ultraviolet UV protectant which protects tires from dry wrought. Works very well.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #51

If you're south of the Mason-Dixon line, maybe they're worth it. Up here in the Great Pacific Northwet (not a typo), I doubt they are. We bought a set when CW had them on special at a 75% discount, but I've only put them on about 4 times.

We don't have enough solar radiation here to worry about, plus the front tires are shaded by our house and next door.

It would take 6 hours a day sunbathing for 4 months of the year for s person to get within 20% of the exposure likely to cause a problem. We only bought the tire guards because they were 75% off at CW!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #52

Triple E Owners Club
I agree with all the pro tire cover comments plus it also gives my Chihuahua another place to pee.