Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tire Date Code

What is an acceptable time lapse from manufacture to dealer stores when purchasing new tires? Should the date code be within 3, 6, 12 months? I've found that most dealers want the money up front, then order the tires and say they have no way to find out how old the tires will be when they are delivered to them.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It is your money and I would insist on 3 months and have some guarantee before you give them any money. The problem is that the warehouse gets stuck with older dated tires and wants to dump them so they make up all kinds of excuses..

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wayne,
For me, it all depends. I'll go up to one year for auto (toad) tires. This is because I know I'll wear out the tread long before the 10 year time expires (Michelin Brand). On the coach, I'm more sensitive. I haven't replaced the current coach tires yet, but gut feel says 6 months is the most I'd go on date of manufacture.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #4

My money, my coach, my families safety. He either gets the tires with 3 month date code or I go where they can. tires are made every day of the year. They are shipped every day of the year. One problem is some of these distributors are so large, and cover such a wide area that any dealer in a given location might have trouble getting the date you want if the distributor has a large inventory. Go some where else, tires are a national item.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Homer,
You are correct in that tires are made every day of the year. However, not all models and sizes are made every day. The manufacturer will make models and sizes in batches, based on whatever their formula is for how many they think they will sell. This is one reason the 275X70X22.5 Michelin Brand tires are sometimes very hard to find.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #6

Areed Gary: But there are many plants all over the world making tires around the clock. I have not had any problem getting what I want when I buy. I just bought 6 with a no more than 3 month prerequisite on the date code and got them. 16" wheels which may be a bit more available.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your input. My coach has 305/70x22.5 which seem to be a lot harder to find than 80 series tires, but their not ready for replacement yet. I am presently looking for replacement tires for my HHR and getting lots of run around.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote