Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
Tire dilemma

I need new tires for our 30' Class C. It's a Minnie Winnie and basically over weight empty, so I was wanting XPS RIBS. But the I can't get 6 in my area (Louisville, KY) that are all under a year old. They range from 9 months to 14 months old. The dealer has not been able to get a solid date for a new run. First it was the end of May, but when he checked yesterday Michelin will not even give an estimate anymore. My current tires are from 1407 and have pretty bad checking, so I don't want to go to far/fast on them, so waiting more than another month or so it out.

My choices seem to be

1. Old(er) XPS RIBS
2. Michelin LTX
3. BFG Commercial TA AS

Note: I will be installing an internal TPMS system with the new tires.

I'm leaning towards #3, the dealer is mostly a commercial truck repair place who I really trust, and they have recommend the BFGs, if I wasn't happy with the RIB date codes.

Comments ?

Jim Apple
japple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Check out Firestone Transforce HT tires.

bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think the brand is important - you just need a quality tire with a sufficient load rating to handle the coach. BFG is excellent and it's a Michelin owned brand anyway and might even be the same tire with a different brand on the sidewall. I would also look at Bridgestone/Firestone and Continental if they offer the right size and load range for your needs.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
I've been looking at it from a "all steel" vs "steel and poly" perspective. So the XPS RIP and the Bridgestone R250 are both all steel, they others are not. If the rig wasn't overweight I'd be much less worried about it. But with just 2 adults and very little gear the rear axle is at least 300 over. If I stripped everything out and went to the scales by myself, it might just come in under. Wish I knew this about Class C's before I bought it.

I did track down 6 R250's that are 8 months old, that may be the way I go.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Jim Apple
japple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
japple, I have ran B.F.Goodrich TA commercial M+s 215/85R16, load range E tires on my dually ever since the originals wore out. I researched some brands, then decided to buy Goodrich after finding out UPS ran them on all their final delivery trucks. I figured if the UPS accountants figured they get the most bank for their buck, they are good enough for my truck too. My present set have about 50,000 miles on them and are 3/4 worn to wear bars. About 3,000 is empty driving, rest was towing a 15,500# 5er, including one trip to Alaska..
I almost forgot to say, none of these tires have ever needed any kind of service or repair.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote