Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #15
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JerryForwood:
Check at COSTCO. they have Michelin XZA-1B 275/80/R22.5 LRG for $365.99 each. Michelin XTE 275/80/R22.5 LRG for $309.99 each. Both prices includes mounting, balancing, and Nitrogen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jerry, good information! Do all Costco stores sell and mount the large tire sizes? Not sure mine does. Which store do you use?

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
jerry, that sounds like a great deal! what method of balancing do they use on that size tire? JIM

Jim & Sue
06 Patriot Thunder / 2011 Jeep Overland
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
You can go to www.costco.com and order the tires online and have them sent to the store of your choice. The store nearest me is on Wadsworth in Littleton, CO. OBTW, according to the listing online, they are "Michelin Certified" installers. I have not had mine installed yet and do not know what method of balancing they use. Suggest you call the store nearest you.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, here is the scoop on the Michelin XZE G load range VS. the XZE H load range.

I talked with an engineer today at Michelin. It seems the 275/80R22.5 G (14 ply) is standarized to the American Tire and Rim Assn. They set the standards for load inflation pressures in the US. The 275/80R22.5 H (16 ply) is standardized to a European specification. The reason for this is that this tire is speccifically built for commercial applications that require being able to carry heavier weight, particularly on the front axle. European standards allow a heavier weight at a specific PSI.

The Michelin tech said 90 to 95 percent of all tires the same size, carry the same load, at a specific PSI, no matter what load range.

So the big difference here is the US standards VS. the Euro standards.

He also made a good point, in that a reduced pressure will cause more side wall flex and tread squirm. This might result in a poorer handling coach.

So John is right on the XZE. But I will stand by my statement that higher load rating will not allow you to reduce tire pressure...in 90 to 95 percent of the tires out there!!

I'll get off my soap box now

Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote